on 19 June 2010
I have been using this gps unit for almost a year, and it has never let me down. I get at least 10 hours of use out of a set of rechargable batteries, depending on how often you view the screen, and if you are using the electronic compass function.

There are so many functions on the unit, that at first I found myself looking more at the unit than the scenery, but once I had worked out which functions I was most interested in I was able to arrange the screen so that they are all on the same page.

Despite all the functions, a lot of which I would not see myself using as a weekend walker, the unit is very intuitive to use, I always use it in conjunction with an OS map, but one of the most reasuring functions I like is the ability to zoom in and out of the map view, so you can pull back and see exactly where you are and where you have been, in relation to your surroundings, instead of having to get the map out in a gale.

I use Garmin Map Share softwareGarmin Trip and Waypoint Manager to load routes onto the unit, which does not come with it, although you can enter waypoints and make routes on the unit, and the model specific caseGarmin Hard Carrying Case for Oregon is fantastic, well worth getting.

If you can justify the extra cost over a standard gps unit, then this is worth having, I never go out walking without it now.
on 25 March 2009
May 09 - half way through my cycle across America and I just have to give an update on this. It is without doubt the worst piece of the approx. 200 bits of kit that I have with me (even worse than my bike frame that broke a couple of days ago). Upon my return this shall be getting sent back based on an ever- growing list of reasons which I shall post here once I'm back at the start of July. Ignoring the numerous technical flaws terms of routing etc., the unit is, frankly, unusable as the screen is basically unreadable even on it's brightest setting.

As I said in my previous title for this review, 'Did it ever get beta tested?' cause it doesn't seem so to me.

Mar 09 - Bought one of these earlier in the month ahead of a three month cycle touring break I'm about to go on. So far, its proved largely to be a cause for disappointment and frustration.

Pros - Excellent in terms of very quick and accurate positioning, tracking, speed and compass functionalities. Feels and appears a very robust piece of kit.

Cons - screen is near unreadable in sunlight - even at the brightest screen setting the weak Scottish sunshine in March is enough to make it a real struggle; had (and still having) issues transfering routes to and from the device; instruction manual woefully inadequate (I found myself querying the Garmin support team as to whether I only had the short version - alas not, it's just rubbish); battery life makes the average mayfly lifespan seem like an eternity.

In short, an excellent piece of kit if all you want to know is where you are and where you've been but only if its the middle of the night or during an eclipse! Numerous drawbacks make me seriously tempted to leave the thing behind for my trip and rely on my iphone map locater function and pack a sextant for when there's no phone signal!

...Just thought I'd give an update as it's now a week on from writing the above. It gets worse, I'm afraid. Just tried to save some of my routes onto the handset from the web (cause the touchscreen mapping tool on the handset is painfully slow) and they're saved as 'tracks' as opposed to 'routes', so as you only get a memory of only 20 tracks vs the advertised 50 routes for imported routes. Garmin helpdesk were perplexed by why they were saved as 'tracks' as well, but were no help.

I seriously question whether this product got any meaningful beta-testing in the field what-so-ever, or if the Garmin managers were just taken in by using the touch screen functionality (which, by the way, isn't a patch on the likes of the iphone).

Sorry, but got to go now. Got a meeting with the bank manager to see if I can arrange a loan for another shipment of AA's batteries for this.
on 28 June 2009
For me, becoming an owner of the 400t has not been the pleasant experience that I expected having shelled out £450+ for the unit, accessories and maps. The Garmin documentation and support site do not help you to understand how the unit manages map data files and the limitations on them (ie that you can only have 3 maps installed into the device). I've also struggled to make sense of how the unit behaves when running from the PC or connected to external power source (you need to find out the setting and secret handshake). Most annoyingly, I have to say that the OS UK maps (which are rasterised) are less than useless given the size of the display if you are on the move. Reflective glare on the screen is an issue for me with the unit mounted on my bike. Oh, and don't expect the unit to charge the batteries for you (I thought this was the 21st century and such things would be trivial). OVERALL - It's like it was buying a PC 25 years ago - you spent the first day messing around trying to get it working. Anyway, I'm off to the North Down Way now on my bike to see if the OS map will get me to Guildford and back.
on 8 February 2009
After purchacing my new Oregon 400t i downloaded some geoceches and went to play but before i could find the first cache with the new toy it crashed and froze and refused to work again ! I returned that unit and ordering another from a different supplier....It got out of the box and before i even left the house it did exactly the same thing, Problem is i also purchased loads of mapping and a case and an in car holder etc for the new toy, not cheap, I am not a happy Garmin customer at all. I now have to spend more money on returning the 400t and pay for guaranteed delivery again ! My only option is to downgrade and avoid the 400t totaly.
on 26 April 2010
I was disappointed with this Oregon 400t. The display, even though adjusted to maximum brightness, was inadequate for a British April sunny day. It would be even more difficult to see in Mediterranean sunshine. Good old Amazon though, I returned it immediately for a refund and all done efficiently. I use two other Garmin GPS units (one an older hand held, which the 400t was to have replaced, and the other in my aircraft) and they are both excellent. Perhaps the 400t was faulty but if I had looked at it in a shop I would not have bought it because of the display.
on 12 February 2012
Had this GPS for Over a year now and hate it, the screen has become non responsive it is hard to read in bright sunlight and there is a delay when in built up areas. I have just completed a two year trip around south east Asia and had to resort to iPhone or Android for my GPS device.
I always bought Garmin but will have to look for another brand for my next device.

my advice is save your money and stay away from the touch screen.....
on 23 February 2011
I used it on a recent trip to Turkey but a major problem is viewing the screen in bright light. Any ideas?
on 9 October 2010
Used this for 2 years now and has never let me down. Saves having 100s of OS maps
on 1 October 2009
It is a good product - and quite a few friends of mine have bought this product on my recommondation

See one answered question