5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually dangerous, I trust you'll agree...
Published on 14 Jan 2009 by Mr. John F. Myhill

3.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Brothers - A Transition, I'll trust you'll agree.
As it's title suggests, this showcases the violent slapstick skills of Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson (so what's new?), as the Dangerous Brothers, two ne'er do well entertainers who specialise in dangerous stunts and sleazy banter.

Published on 1 Jun 2010 by Azz McMahon

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually dangerous, I trust you'll agree..., 14 Jan 2009
Mr. John F. Myhill "freethyboy" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
I remember these from the 80's, although I must have missed some (and the Kinky Sex episode was definitely new to me as it was apparently banned at the time!), and the good news is that they are as funny as they ever were. When this arrived from Amazon a couple of days ago I couldn't wait to put it on, and soon after my wife came in to ask what I was cackling so loudly about! Brilliant - if you like mindless comedy violence and low-life perves, which if you're a fan of Rik and Ade you must!

While there are hints of The Young Ones, and it's certainly not a million miles away from Bottom, the closest similarity is their Comic Strip Presents masterpiece "Mr Jolly Lives Next Door", which involves much the same drunken violence - the Dangerous Brothers episode Babysitting reminded me a lot of Mr Jolly, especially the gin consumption.

If you remember these from the first time around, the DVD is highly recommended as the sketches still stand up very well (ooh er missus). Amd if you don't, but you know and like Rik and Ade's other work then this is not to be missed. If, on the other hand, you are a person who values taste and decency, and has no wish to see anyone sticking dynamite down their trousers, avoid like the plague. Unusually dangerous, I trust you'll agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have Rik and Ade, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
"Get a doctor! I've gone to far this time!" - This is must have Rik and Ade doing what they do best - slapstick and innuendo, there is subtlety too within the caricatures. Arguably two of the funniest British comics of all time caught in minor segments hurting each other. Ade actually gets set alight - singes his eyebrows and has to cut the scene "Can you spot what went wrong?" he says after the towering inferno enactment. Rik is also at his best - "tooorrrrchhhhaaaa"! - to wit Ade says "I will NOT talk" but not for long..... if you liked them in Bottom and Filthy Rich and Catflap this is another must have. "This really IS dangervision!"

3.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Brothers - A Transition, I'll trust you'll agree., 1 Jun 2010
Azz McMahon (NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)

Whilst not as off the wall as their characters in the Young Ones, Dangervision provides moments of amusement for those who are already hip to Mayall and Edmondson's style of humour.

You can see slight leanings towards Filthy, Rich and Catflap, and some of the beginnings of Bottom in some of the skits here - but the collection is hit and miss, as were the shows Mayall and Edmondson appeared in during the 80's.

Cameos from John Bird, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are amusing, and Helen Lederer also makes herself present, as does Jennifer Saunders.

A slice of the time capsule of the 80's British Alternative comedy scene, and if you loved the Young Ones, you'll like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Strange Editing, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
Having previously owned the video from the 1990s, I was initially not keen on buying the DVD. Finally, I did. And I feel slightly let down.
What we have here is a companion to rather than a replacement for the VHS. Both feature material that is absent on the other. (All the sketches are present and correct, I hasten to add.) For example most of them have a shorter intro than on the VHS. This is most noticable in "Big Stunt". However, most of them have a slightly extended ending compared to the video, as most of those concluded with a freeze frame, whereas most don't on the DVD. Again, "Big Stunt" has Sir Adrian re-entering at the end and "How To Get Off With a Lady" includes the "Thank you and good night" not on the video.
But then the sketches themselves now have slightly different content. I never saw the actual Saturday Live's so I don't know how they originally aired, but again we have trade offs. "Crocodile Snogging" suffers the most. When the lights are switched off, most of the dialogue is cut out so the lights come on again very quickly. Then the repeated "Hahahhahahaha! Crocodile snoging!" is edited, losing a couple of exchanges and, to an extent, the whole point of that section, as they stall for time and start getting more desperate in their hahahaaahha-ing (for want of a better word). On the other hand, "Exploding Politicians" adds a lot more of Sir Adrian mucking about before Richard punches him. (on the VHS, this is his first appearance in this section, whereas here he walks through the background first)
Also, the picture quality is diabolical on "Babysitters" - it was better than that on the video.
Network are usually quite good with shows, keeping all the End of Part Ones etc that so many other companies dispense with, for example. Yet here they resort to the slapdash editing style that 80's VHS had (even the original Dangerous Brothers VHS was better edited than this.)
So, a worthy addition to the DVD shelf, just a pity about the presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious !!!!, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
So happy to see this one ! Nearly peed in my pants ! I discovered them when I was an au pair in 1984 in "The young ones", and I am still a fan. You must see it and of course the Bottom complete series and the lives. For me, Ade and Rik are just the best in the world, and english humour is the best ever ! (french fan...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangervision...Great fun!, 23 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
LOVED The Dangerous Bros.-Dangervision. Subtitles would've been helpful for this U.S.A. viewer as they speak fast. I hope Amazon offers more of The Dangerous Bros. if more exists. One question though...Why was the skit "Kinky Sex" banned back when it was broadcast? Didn't seem like it needed to be banned...I found it quite funny....A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comedy, 21 Nov 2010
C. H. Forrest (fife scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
As a big fan of Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson this does not dissapoint in any way have liked them in everything they've done together or seperately

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsure or the technical side of this., 3 July 2014
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
I saw the Dangerous Brother as an audience member of Saturday Night Live doing the 'Flying Zebras' sketch. That I remember the act some 30 years later shows how good and outrageous their act was for the time. I didnt buy the VHS as I didn`t have a VHS player ( I had a life and went out rather than watching TV for the sake of it), but have watched several of their performances on TV recently as a result of Rik`s death. My concern is the technical qualities, of the editing, as SNL where most of their performances happened would have Ben Elton having to be edited out of the intro and also the picture quality would need enhancing. Apart from that, if you enjoyed Bottom or The Young Ones, then this ought to appeal to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
still very after all this time I have been waiting for this to come out on dvd for ages great

4.0 out of 5 stars Violent And Hilarious - Just how I like it, 19 July 2013
This review is from: The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD] (DVD)
It's exactly what we love seeing Rik Mayall & Adrian Edmonson do........fight, punch and set fire to each other. Featuring all sketches from their time on "Saturday Night Live" This is bound to keep you entertained for an hour ish. Although I'd have recommended maybe featuring an interview with Rik & Ade to get their views on the double act and perhaps some behind the scenes cause it really interests me how they got Adrian Edmonson inside a cannon then set it on fire!!

The Dangerous Brothers - Dangervision [DVD]