on 23 December 2010
Short films are, first and foremost, calling cards for up-and-coming directors. To set out to watch a short expecting the same level of plot and character development as a feature is to miss the point. A short that shows the confluence of a solid plot, good casting, photography, editing and score, has a lot to say for itself and for the potential of it's maker who is very often working to a low budget and, sometimes, to a time constraint.

This DVD contains 16 outstanding examples of directors who understand what is required by the format of a short film. I bought it for Chomet's "The Old Woman and the Pigeons" which was excellent prep work for "Les Triplets de Belleville" and alone would have been worth the price I paid but I was pleasantly surprised by the contents. This is highly recommended viewing for anyone who wants to know more about this genre of film.

D
on 23 November 2010
Okay, this is a collection of 16 short films, usually around 10-15 minutes each. There are bound to be some you like and some you don't. I'll say that the one's I particularly enjoyed were "Klaus The Forklift Driver"; in the opening scenes I didn't know what to make of this but it turned out to be one of the funniest (and I mean laughing so much there were tears running down my face) short films I have ever seen. "Madame Tutli Putli" was awesome. And "The Old Lady and the Pigeons" was sinister and darkly funny. There were others I didn't really get, I'm not saying they weren't any good but I didn't get much out of them. Each to their own I guess. However, on the back of this I will purchase the other Cinema 16s collections.
on 29 January 2011
This is a great selection of short films, some truly astounding pieces of cinema. There's a range of documentary, animation, art cinema and some are surprisingly amusing too. My favourite is probably 'Old Lady and Pigeons'- very peculiar, and hilarious. A good DVD for people new to international short films, and long-time fans.
on 29 March 2011
I cannot say which ý liked all short films... In my opinion this short films are fairly good. As a matter of fact ý had bought that dvd for Ousmane Samben's short film 'Borrom Sarret'.Enjoyments can change but ý cannot strongly suggest for buying and watching this short films.
on 5 November 2014
see picture see colour hear sound dunno what going on. read subtitles... cannot read lips. syn error.

but still enjoy it very very much.
on 23 November 2015
Forklift Driver Klaus. Amazing.
on 6 June 2015
Old short films dated
on 9 June 2009
I have all the other Cinema 16 dvd's and this one has definitely the worst selection...
Almost all films are terribly disappointing with some few exceptions...
This dvd will be interesting for those who follow carefully the careers of many of the directors in this collection which today do, in fact, make very good cinema.