4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, perfect espresso!
I own a DeLonghi espresso machine which is compatible with ESE pods. I have mostly used pre-ground Illy coffee in the past but struggle pulling a perfect shot as mine is either bitter or sour. It's very rare I pull the perfect shot.

Published 7 months ago by John S

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not really to my taste.
I bought these pods to use in my Villaware coffee machine. They are much easier (and cleaner) to use than ground coffee, but I did not enjoy the taste as much as my usual ground coffee beans. There was a certain harshness in the after-taste that I did not really enjoy. However, taste is subjective, so other people may prefer them. Certainly cleaner than using ground...
Published 23 months ago by G. B. Holt

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, perfect espresso!, 3 May 2014
John S - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: illy 18 Individually Packaged Ground Coffee Portions (Pack of 2, Total 36 Servings) (Grocery)

I decided to give these coffee pods a try as they are much easier to tidy up rather than banging early in the morning trying to get rid of the coffee grounds in the filter basket. I originally thought that because these are pods they're not going to taste very nice. Wow, was I wrong! These taste perfect, not bitter or sour. The aroma is excellent. I have made a Cappuccino and Mocha and I must say, this pod has really made a big difference to the espresso taste!

The problem with using pre-ground coffee or coffee you have ground yourself is that you have to tamp correctly and put the correct amount in. It doesn't really matter with a pressurized system such as that you get with most home espresso machine but I found that if I barely tamped, the water would get through really quickly leading to an awful tasting espresso even with a pressurized system (I have a DeLonghi EC155). What amazed me was that when I used these pods, the water / coffee flows through slowly, hence extracting a lot of flavour but not too much. You must stop the espresso machine when the coffee starts to look brighter in colour / blonde. Luckily, these pods take away the worry of whether you have put enough coffee in the filter basket and if you have tamped correctly.

Because it is in a pod, the coffee is already ground correctly (finely ground for espresso) and packed / tamped together correctly. These 2 work hand in hand to produce a perfect espresso without having to have any input from you (apart from having to put it in the ESE filter basket of course!).

As you can expect, it doesn't make a mess, you just have to throw the used pod in the bin. The instructions are very clear and tell you that you should insert the pod in the filter so the illy logo is at the top. Each pod is individually well wrapped to keep the coffee fresh.

Using pods can be more expensive than pre-ground coffee or coffee beans, but as I am getting a perfect shot of espresso out of my machine each time with these pods, I really don't mind paying that little bit extra.

The reason I have only given this 4 stars is because the coffee is not very strong (although I don't like strong coffee, I know a lot of people do). Another reason is the slightly higher price to using pre-ground coffee or coffee beans and the fact that it tends to 'blond out' a bit quickly so it is really just for a single shot of espresso. I haven't used shot glasses to measure out how much in terms of volume a pod can produce as I pulled the shot directly into my cappuccino cup, but I have noticed that it 'blonds out' quicker than if I were using pre-ground coffee, so I have to stop it a bit earlier. But either way, I have had a VERY NICE / PERFECT cappuccino with this as I feel that the amount you can produce with a pod is enough.

If you're considering whether to buy a cheap espresso machine with these pods, or a complete pod machine such as a Tassimo or Dolce Gusto, get an espresso machine and these pods! The tastes are completely different. I have noticed that the espresso you get with a tassimo machine just tastes like instant coffee rather than a fresh coffee you would get at a coffee shop.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves coffee! Will I stop using pre-ground coffee for this? I will be using pods more, but I won't stop using pre-ground because sometimes I like having control of how much coffee I put in the filter.

I hope this review helps you to decide whether to buy these or not, drop some comments if you have any questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illy ESE Coffee pods, 11 Feb 2012
Easy to use, clean, great taste, I have used beans or ground coffee for years and decided to try these, i will continue to use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy ESE coffee pods, 22 Jan 2011
SueLes (Blewbury UK) - See all my reviews
These ESE coffee pods fit many expresso makers and produce good coffee. Its full bodied and rich. They are a bit more expensive than loose ground coffee but you don't have to clean down the machine after you have used it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tasting coffee!, 16 Dec 2013
Great tasting coffee, easy to use capsules and easy storage, always a hit with coffee drinkers. Would defo recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY COFFEE SAVIOUR!, 31 July 2013
This is the best blend of coffee that we can use in our Bugatti coffee machine - sadly Sainsbury's no longer stock illy coffee pods, not do Tesco
BIG THAKNS TO AMAZON - EXCELLENT DELIVERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
MY COFFEE SAVIOUR!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for lazy people!, 14 July 2013
After buying my Gaggia espresso pure, I tried lots of different beans, spent lots of money! Even a new grinder. Then i lost the plot and bought some illy pods. Wow... theres the crema I wanted! So now I just pop those in my PF if I need a quick hit. No mess, no fuss. Fresh espresso. These are really fresh compared to the tin ones. Do not buy those!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 19 Jun 2013
Sue Kelsall (Cheshire,England) - See all my reviews
Great coffee. The sachets are so convenient and there is just the right amount for
a wonderful cup of coffee!

5.0 out of 5 stars illy, 30 May 2013
why I choose 5* because illy its my favourite coffee it taste great the smell of illy in the morning is unbeatable :) and I love espresso NOT expresso :)))))) recommend illy coffee portions to everyone who likes espresso and the ones who drink french or instant coffee I would say get an espresso machine people and get those illy pods :))))

5.0 out of 5 stars Bezza on coffee, 10 May 2013
Bought this to use in new machine recently purchased for my son, both him and his family loved it ,they will be purchasing more in future,very quick delivery.Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars HAVE TASTED STRONGER COFFEE, 6 April 2013
Bought for my espresso machine. They work perfectly and you are not left with grounds everywhere. It's not as strong a coffee as I expected but that may be me as I like industrial strength coffee!!