5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for the price
I've owned this tool for 3 or 4 months now, and I've been very pleased with it.

Published on 23 Jan. 2012 by Christopher Owens

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money
Published on 31 Oct. 2011 by BillCo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for the price, 23 Jan. 2012
Christopher Owens (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I've owned this tool for 3 or 4 months now, and I've been very pleased with it.

It's only a moderately-powered "DIY" machine, and isn't really the right choice for doing kitchen worktop and similar heavy jobs; for that reason, it only comes with 6mm / 1/4" / 8mm collets, which won't take cutters large enough to do worktop. Be aware of this before you buy it! If you need to do worktop-type jobs, get something like a DeWalt DWW625EK - although I've never owned one of these, I've seen them well-reviewed elsewhere - which costs around 3 times as much as the POF 1400 ACE.

In addition, note that guide bushes are always manufacturer-specific sizes: to get the for a Trend jig, you usually have to use a Trend sub-base with its own guide bush, rather than use the Bosch guide bush that comes with the machine. This is the case for most routers. The real strength of any router is that by making your own jigs, you can use it for many tasks, and this is a great tool for that.

The two minor issues I've had with it are:
* The tool light only works intermittently, so I have to use it in well-lit areas - but then if you're using a dangerous tool like this, you should always be using it in a well-lit area, anyway;
* The spring on the plunge mechanism is very strong, making it difficult to adjust when the tool is operating - I have to set the depth-stop carefully beforehand, and depress the plunge mechanism slowly. I could probably take out the spring, but I haven't got round to it yet.

However, it's weighed down with features for a router at this price (depth stop, fine depth adjust, quick-release guide bush, parallel fence). Plus, I've found Bosch tools to be very reliable, having owned loads of them.

A fine tool to introduce new router-users like me to the process: maybe in a year or two, I'll upgrade when funds allow, but this does what I need at the moment, and was a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and quiet., 19 May 2010
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I wanted to cut circular sections in perspex panels, and had agonised for some time as to which tool to use. This is the perfect machine to do all sorts of fancy/decorative work on wood or plastic. I was up and running with in half an hour and have found the router very precise and easy to use. Certainly good value!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch router, 12 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
This arrived the day before Amazon stated so well done them.I have used it several times its a smooth operating well made bit of kit. The slow start feature is nice makes it easy if you not used a router before.Variable speeds make things easy too. Shame its a 1/4 instead of a 1/2 drive as its motor is easily powerful enough however there is plenty of 1/4 size bits available to cater for what you need. I would say this router would suit anyone starting out right up to an advanced home DIY user.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Router for all projects,a vital piece of equipment for your home & work projects.Plenty of power!!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I always do my reviews after I've owned & used the item a while,how can you do a review when you've just unwrapped it? Bosch has given me somewhat of a mixed bag with purchases recently,which has left a nasty taste in my mouth after being a Lifelong "Bosch FanBoy!".Im happy to report this is one of my better (Note all my Bosch Purchases used to be GREAT) Bosch recent purchases.This router has lots to recommend,the micro adjustment is excellent,the speed adjustment is excellent,the depth gauge is excellent,the guide is great,Ive used this regularly with a 25mm cutter and never felt as though the router was in need of more power,I certainly would recommend the tungsten carbide bits over the cheaper sets-in the long run it will be cheaper! The tungsten bits have chewed through nails etc with no signs of wear! Obviously this isn't recommended,but when carrying out repairs on existing doors etc it WILL happen! I very much recommend going for this higher wattage 1400 model,i have never felt it was over worked.Im very happy with this purchase which i made months ago (Nov '13).Highly recommended! NOTE:- I use this in a professional manner for cutting access holes fro turnings,and for machining notches & hole in dado turnings & plastics & woods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for 1st time Luthier, 16 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I brought this device on the basis that it would dill and pocket holes into a piece of wood that would then be turned and crafted into a telecaster replica, home made guitar.

This device was brillant for drilling in the control, pickup and neck mount cavities (holes), cleanly drilling away the wood with accurate and sufficient ease.

The machine comes with one drill bit which cuts a clean pocket. The instructions are brief and simple to follow as long as you put in the effort to follow them for the first time router user.

Use any power drill with caution and safety.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I have been using this router for about a year now so it has had plenty of use. I would say that generally it is quite good but there are a few things that let it down. First it can be quite difficult to set the depth, this is because the plunging mechanisim isnt very smooth. The other problem i find is when i come to change the bits. They become very tight inside the collar, when you use more force to untighten it the locking button will slip. This process can be a pain and frustating, i dont think this part has been designed very well. Things that are good - it has plenty of power and has coped when ive done large cuts. It is also very robust, i knocked it off the top of my work bench onto a stone floor and it wasnt damaged. The fine adjustment is a good feature and it comes with a nice case. Overall its not bad for the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drawbacks:, 14 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
1400ACE a top quality router as I would expect from Bosch, instructions clear. BUT, I bought it to cut kitchen worktops, and Bosch helpline said (after I bought it) that I should get a pro router min 1700W, one which takes 1/2" shank cutters. The 1400 ACE is easily powerful enough, providing you go down in successive cuts (not all in one pass), & it doesn't take 1/2" shank bits. I did get a 1/4" shank cutter with the required 1/2" dia blade, but it is only 35mm blade length, only juuuust enough to do the job.

Also, surprisingly, I had GREAT difficulty in getting a 30mm dia guide bush (to use with a jig) at short notice, so I had to use the 17mm bush that came with the router. Careful measurement & skilled cutting was required.

Both a shame, as it took the edge off buying an otherwise excellent tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I bought this to replace a basic old Black & Decker router that really wasn't up to the job. The POF 1400 is clearly built to a much better standard, and good value at the Amazon price, so I'm not complaining about value for money. I'm also not going to dwell on the positive points, but make no mistake - I reckon this is a good router and I am overall pleased with my purchase. I have been using it for a while on oak, and the results are good. However, I have noticed a few drawbacks which make me give it only 4 stars instead of 5:
(a) The "quick release" mechanism doesn't seem to work that well. Although it is easy enough to unscrew the collets, the bits seem to have a tendency to jam in the shaft, as some other reviewers have also noticed, and I have already managed to damage one TCT bit while trying to remove it.
(b) The one feature that the Bosch doesn't have, and my old B&D router did, was a HORIZONTAL micro-fine adjustment for the parallel guide. This is a pity, as I reckon it would only have needed quite a minor addition to the guide, and it would have been very useful at times.
(c) I have discovered that 8mm router bits are harder to find compared with 1/4" or 1/2" ones, and the ones that you can find are significantly more expensive. I can make do with 1/4" bits, but I would prefer to use 8mm ones if they were more readily available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 18 Nov. 2013
realworld "HMK" (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
I needed to make stair tread noses. After internet research, I took the plunge and bought the Bosch plunge router and the Bosch router bit set from Amazon.

Bull nose profile was made with the rounding over bit, then same on other side.

Using the router was satisfying, and the results look good.

The router’s dust extraction adapter must be removed to slide the straight edge of the base against a guide fence. Loads of saw dust all over the place.

For my work so far the light has not been necessary. Neither has the fine adjustment. I imagine they will come in handy as my confidence grows and I tackle more challenging projects.

The router comes with 1 x straight bit (8 mm diameter). I used the 1/4 inch bits. The shanks are smaller allowing slower speed and better control.

The sturdy carrier case keeps the attachments tidy and easy to find.

I am happy with the router an would recommend to anyone who wants a trustworthy tool.

The plastic case keeps the various bits tidy and easy to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product!, 2 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router (DIY & Tools)
The Bosch POF1400 ACE router is the top of their DIY / non-professional router range. It delivers everything you'd expect from a Bosch product!

Along with the router in its nice carry case are several accessories that the handbook says are extra to the router!! There are the guides / fence, two extra collets (worth £30+ each) a cutting bit, a template guide and other bits and bobs. Excellent.

Originally Amazon were out of stock but kept me as informed as they could about stock levels. And, in the end, they delivered well before their estimate. Can't fault that.

My purchase from Amazon shows it pays think a purchase through then to shop around for the product. This router cost me under £60 **incl delivery**: on the high street it was around £110! I was surprised Amazon were selling this router much more cheaply than was available at the time on a well known internet auction site! And at £60 it was only double the price of the DIY stores' own brands for a top of the range Bosch.

As a side issue, I've also discovered Amazon's tooling prices are good and that I'd probably have saved money on other power tool purchases.

Thanks Amazon and Bosch.