5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved picture quality
Compared to the 10th anniversary edition, this new 2009 release (ignore the [1995] designation in Amazon's listing) has very noticeably better picture quality. There is greater detail but, more importantly, the colour grading is far more accurate. Well worth paying the extra money for, with or without the extra features.
Published on 17 Mar 2009 by Mr. N. White

2.0 out of 5 stars The Same Washed Out Colors
I'm very disappointed with the video quality of this Anniversary Edition because the colors look washed out just like the previous releases (in the UK and the USA) of the widescreen edition. A reviewer's comment on the USA widescreen edition posted at Amazon.com can also be fittingly applied to this Anniversary Edition: "... the colors are not just washed out, the...
Published on 21 Sep 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved picture quality, 17 Mar 2009
Mr. N. White (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, 16 Mar 2002
I can't say I've ever enjoyed a Jane Austen adaptation as much as this one in my entire life! The whole series is an absolute delight from start to finish.
Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle portray the lead characters of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett perfectly. Never has Lizzie been so pretty, witty or charming nor has Darcy ever been so brooding, mysterious or handsome as in this series. The chemistry between the leads is electric and the sparks certainly fly in one of the best romantic love stories ever told.
The fact that the writer's have taken the step of showing more of a background for Darcy also helps the viewer appreciate what a good and kind man he really is all along, rather than, as in other adaptations, he appears to suddenly change into being nice.
The casting of Julia Sawahla as the selfish, stupid Lydia Bennett was also inspired. She carried off a difficult role so well that in the end you still have to like her for all her faults.
As for the rest of the cast - there wasn't one that let the series down one tiny bit. Notably, David Bamber as Mr. Collins was suitably sweaty and snivelling, Alison Steadman as Mrs. Bennett was fantastically highly strung, Adrian Lukis as Wickham was a suave villan and Anna Chancellor's, Miss. Bingley was deliciously nasty.
If I could give the rating more stars I would. It's an absolute must for all Jane Austen fans and if you're not a fan already then watch this and you will be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 April 2009
Miss E. Rossa (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This new special edition of Pride and Prejudice is well worth the money I paid for it. Finally the colour has returned to the world of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy with breathtaking results. I own the 10th Anniversary Edition as well, the Special Edition easily beats it in every way. This is the best adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and it has now been given the treatment it deserves!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Uniformly Charming!' as Mr Collins commented himself..., 7 May 2002
By A Customer
I hate myself for not discovering this brilliant BBC 1995 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice any sooner then this Easter. Since buying it, I've watched it hundreds of times and am still fancinated by it every time I watch it again! I was never into period drama, but by this film, I am truly humbled to call it a 'one off'.
It is challenging enough a task already to turn such a famous much loved novel into a film, but to a film that is as high quality as the book, it's extraordinary! The producers have truly done a good job, as well as doing the novel justice.
This film is perfect in every aspect, as well as being completely faithful to the novel itself, the choice of location, the costumes, the acting, the dances, the music, the script and choice of cast, especially the leading man and woman, Colin Firth as Mr Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet, is outstanding! Ehle really has the talent in bringing out that liveliness, wit and spirit of Austen's favourite heroine, and surely nothing can show Darcy's deep hidden affections better than Firth's 'come to bed' eyes.
However, despite the beautiful graphics menu, I would like to comment on how annoying the rolling of credits are, at the beginning and end of each episodes on the DVD format. 'The Making Of...'on the DVD also disappointed me slightly as there's no interviews with the two main characters. However, despite the minor shortcomings, a 'big thumbs up' to Pride and Prejudice 1995.
The price may be expensive for a DVD, but believe me, ...for an experience of a lifetime is definately worth it!
Overcome your prejudices, P&P is not just for the over 30s, I've just turned 17, and am already a proud owner of this exceptional 1995 adaptation on both the VHS and DVD format. When will you be?
Let this be one of those rare ocassions where I give 5-stars to a most deserving product...

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray - the colour has returned, 4 Nov 2008
Roderick Keech (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride And Prejudice [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
After two dreadful DVD releases (the first and the 10th anniversary edition) in which all of the warmth had been drained from the glorious original 16mm print as seen on TV and on VHS, the BBC and 2 Entertain have finally repented and this, one of television's most beloved series has been restored to its former beauty. In 2005 I foolishly bought the 10th Anniversary Edition as the cover art-work suggested that the problems with the original transfer had been corrected. Upon viewing it, I wrote to the head of BBC in Australia with the challenge that if she could find any of the colours on the packaging actually on the DVD, I would happily walk naked down a Melbourne street at peak hour. Luckily for the locals, none could be found, and the offending item was returned. Now I am delighted to say that the original warmth has been lovingly restored in the Blu-Ray edition. Yes, as previous reviewers have stated, it was not shot in HD, nor even in 35mm - just humble 16mm, and at times some of the long-shots are not entirely distinct - yet it is a small quibble, and this is well worth the purchase to be able to once again see this iconic series in the rich tapestry of colours in which it was originally made. Thank you BBC/2 Entertain for restoring a true gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!!!!!!, 19 Mar 2006
I absolutely love this story.....and the way the story is told in this tv adaptation is superb. The cast is fantastic, the settings are beautiful, I can't fault it, in any way. Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle have a great on screen raport and at the end a great on screen romance. I have owned this DVD for many, many years and will never get fed up, with watching it. Even my boyfriend has to admit, that it's a great story, he particualy likes Mr Bennetts dry wit. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic wish fulfilment, 20 Oct 2007
This is the famous BBC dramatisation of Jane Austen's classic that unleashed a virulent epidemic of Darcymania upon the unsuspecting British public. Housewives, mothers, and working women (nay, even the elderly!) heaved their children into bed early so they could sit glued to the TV screen during those bitterly cold months in the autumn of 1995, when this mini-series first aired. As one commentator has said of that time, "there was hardly a woman in England who wouldn't crawl on her knees to Moscow for a touch of his nether lip". But we shall not let appreciation of this tremendous adaptation rest on the - admittedly strong, silent and virile - shoulders of Colin Firth (aka "the thinking woman's heartthrob"), since it is such a great dramatisation of Pride and Prejudice in so many ways.

Perhaps we should rather put its success down to its astounding attention to detail. By that, I don't mean just the language, dress and houses of the Regency period, but also the casting - which proved impeccable - and the quality of the acting itself. Firth and Jennifer Ehle (she of the ever-expressive eyebrows) are stellar as the dashing Darcy who changes his manners and the defiant Lizzy who changes her mind. Crispin Bonham-Carter (Bingley), Anna Chancellor (Bingley's sister), Barbara Leigh Hunt (Lady Catherine), David Bamber (Mr Collins) and Julia Sawalha (Lydia), to name just a few, all excel in their supporting roles. I did find Allison Steadman's performance as Mrs Bennet, however, too histrionic and pantomimic, although the more nuanced portrayal of Mr Bennet by Benjamin Whitrow often compensated in these scenes. Andrew Davies' sterling screenplay, divided into six episodes (each about 50 minutes long), was able to go into much more depth and construct a steadier plot development than, for example, Joe Wright's film version of 2005 (which I, too, found to be vastly inferior).

Twelve years have now passed since this dramatisation first hit our TV screens and 194 years since the novel was first published. How can we account, then, for the unending appeal of Jane Austen's classic? The most astute answer I have heard on this comes from Natasha Walter, who wrote in The Guardian a few years ago: "Austen shows us that what we long for above all is the person who will see, with their 'uncommonly intelligent' eyes, through all the muddle of the outer world to our inner self. This longing to know somebody so completely, and so completely to be known, is what we return to in Pride and Prejudice."

An unbeatable production of a classic novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional drama made to look even better, 17 Mar 2009
A. L. Oliver "Alli Oli" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The picture quality is sharp and bright and makes an already fantastic production visually better. The characters seem to be even more alive and the remastering brings out their facial features and expressions even more so. The background characters at the assembly room and the Netherfield Ball, once barely noticeable stand out. The costumes look sharp and fresh in particular the red capes worn by Lydia and Kitty on their way into Meryton. In my opinion certainly worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV/Film version ever made!!!, 1 Jan 2007
Lauraloo (Gloucestershire, England GB) - See all my reviews
I loved this version since it was aired in 1995. As soon as it came on video shortly afterwards I pre-ordered a copy. Watched the video so many times you can hardly make it out now if you played it. About 3 years ago I bought it on DVD and i've probably watched it about 250 times plus. I have also read the book and I think this is the best tv/film version ever made.

Everytime I watch it, it's as if I forget the story and I am hooked to it to see whether or not Elizabeth and Darcy ever get together!

Brilliant!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, 12 Jan 2010
Having seen the first 45 minutes of the first episode the morning after a night of clubbing (and therefore hungover and in need of good TV) I fell in love with this series. In order to watch the rest I bought this DVD special edition and can honestly recommend it to anyone who's read, or not read the book.

When I play this DVD on my Blu-ray player it up-scales the image further to a very high quality. It's incredibly sharp and a lot less "fuzzy" than the version I saw on TV. My only complaint would be that it's lost a bit of warmth compared to the original quality. For example at times Elizabeth Bennett (Jennifer Ehle) looks incredibly white and almost sunburnt instead of like she's blushing. You get over it quickly though and it's easy enough to change the settings on the TV to compensate.

Also if you're torn between this version and the 2005 Keira Knightley movie version, I would definitely say this version is the best. Mainly because with an extra 4 hours or so it misses much less out and the tension between Elizabeth and Darcy is more drawn out (and it's the suspense that makes Pride and Prejudice so good!) This version also has a practically perfect cast with Colin Firth simply being Darcy, Jennifer Ehle portraying the intelligent, witty and headstrong Elizabeth (while at the same time being very likeable), the mother and father are also both absolutely perfect as sources of dry humour and embarrassment and the rest of the cast are also stupidly great but I won't waffle on about them here; you'll have to watch it yourself!

Pride And Prejudice [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free]
Pride And Prejudice [Blu-ray] [1995] [Region Free] by Simon Langton (Blu-ray - 2008)