5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Emotional & Beautiful!
I read this book when I was a teenager and found Hardy's style of writing hard going; but it painted a vivid picture of the extremes of the rich and the poor, the depths of emotional despair and the cruel twist of fate. At each crossroad Tess seems to take the wrong path and we are left to ask "what if?".
Having watched and loved the Polanski film, I was expecting...
Published on 4 Nov 2008 by Lizzi S

1.0 out of 5 stars Not see it yet.
Bought this DVD looking forward to watching it. Unfortunately I have a Blue Ray player and it will not play on it.

I read all the info about this DVD when looking to purchase it but it never warned anynone that it will not play on Blue Ray.

I have many DVD,s and most of them will play on Blue Ray .

Disappointing .
Published 1 month ago by Ruthiepegs

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Emotional & Beautiful!, 4 Nov 2008
Lizzi S (Brentwood, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched and loved the Polanski film, I was expecting alot of the BBC. I wasn't disappointed. Atherton's beauty and touching portrayal of Tess took my breath away. If you don't connect with Tess from the beginning, it is harder to sympathise with her every time she takes a wrong turn, and Atherton captured me from the first scene.
Everything about this adaptation is beautiful ... the cinematography, the casting and the acting.
I was worried from the outset that I wouldnt cry at the end, that somehow this wonderful portrayal would let me down at the crucial climax. Instead I was left sobbing like a baby for about half an hour after the credits rolled and I knew I'd watched something truly special.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 5 May 2010
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
I had watched three of the four episodes on the BBC, and with each one I was sucked right in and identified with Tess's plight. There are so many contrasting themes to be enthralled by - countryside, rural, town versus country, pagan versus Christian, exploitation and prejudice by Christians; lust and love; pride and folly; betrayal and devotion to name a few.
Top that mix with wonderful casting and delicious costumes. I finally tracked down this dvd which contains two discs with two episodes on each, and got to watch the last episode. Oh boy, I won't spoil it for you. The camera work is terrific - pulling out of close-up to a wide-shot to emphasise a point was a masterstroke - making the watcher feel helpless. Well done the Beeb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done, heartbreaking to watch..., 30 Jan 2009
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit I was expecting to hate this because I'm a big fan of the Justine Waddell version, but Gemma Arterton made the role her own. My only complaint would be that Angel and Tess lacked the chemistry that I loved so much in the other version. But overall a wonderful adaptation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance on film., 13 Oct 2009
R. Speedie "Beccy." (Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
I read this book in first year at high school, and after falling in love with the story I went off and bought the 1970's version of Tess. I loved that as well, and thought that there would never be another version like it- but along came the BBC with their newest adaptation of this classic love story.

I don't want to spoil the story for anybody who isn't familiar with it, so all I can say is I highly recommend buying this adaptation- and if you're like me, allowing it to turn into the only thing you ever watch!

Gemma Arterton and Eddie Redmayne... What can I say about them?

You instantly connect with Arterton's Tess, and having read the book she seems like the perfect choice. Her beauty, her acting talent, her versatility- they all make you fall in love with her character. Arterton makes Tess so easy to empathise with that when the end of the mini-series came(four hours just didn't seem enough!) you are more heartbroken than you could ever have expected.

I had never seen Redmayne before, and as a result of his portrayal of Angel Clare I have been trying hard to watch every production he has been in, no matter how small the part! Versatile actor though he is, this is a particularly stunning performance from the equally stunning actor.

Hans Matheson and Ruth Jones' portrayals of Alec and Tess' mother were two more examples of wonderful casting, and each actor seems ideal for their part.

I just can't fault this series- from start to finish, it's simply the best portrayal of Hardy that I have seen or am ever likely to see. You don't have to take my word for it- look at the rest of the reviews!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fine addition to the 'Tess' repertoire, 3 April 2010
Michel Couzijn (Hillegom, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
Will make Miss Gemma Arterton and the rest of the cast & crew the biggest compliment possible: they made me forget Polanski's rendition.

No, I do not find this recent version *better* than Polanski's. The actors and director just managed to draw me again into Thomas Hardy's Tess, in a new and convincing way. Way different from Nastassja Kinski's classic performance and Polanski's masterwork. Mrs. Arterton made me feel for a new, authentic, personal 'Tess' character without reminding of, let alone diminishing Kinski's earlier portrayal, which I cherish.

A very fine addition to the many 'Tess' versions available.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good a dramatisation of any classic I have ever seen and as affecting., 7 Oct 2008
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
If you scan these reviews you will find that two of them complain that this 'Tess' is too grim and a couple of others complain that it is too 'light' and doesn't reflect the harsh social conditions strongly enough. I think you can safely assume therefore that the makers got it just about right. I certainly think so. The production values throughout are very impressive and the period when Tess works through the winter on a farm, for very low wages, in terrible conditions and cruelly treated, is well conveyed. And on the other hand there are plenty of scenes which are set against wonderful green Hardy landscapes never seen to more advantage than here, as shot with the new HD cameras.

This is the third time that Tess has been done, and all three have been quite superb. The other two were done in the usual cinema feature length form but this one has the advantage, not only of HD, but of an extra hour and more on the running time and so there is room for far more of the novel. Time and again dialogues were expanded on what one remembered and many extra scenes were inserted so that I felt continuously as though the entire space of the novel was being filled out with substantial and significant information that normally you would only get by reading. And by the way I have read Tess but it was back in the late 60's - I did not enjoy it (I really don't think Hardy would have expected me to) and I had no intention of re-reading it but I have since been grateful to Polanski and the ITV version of 15 years ago for keeping it before my attention and making sure that Hardy's necessary and important classic is kept fresh in my mind. I still have no intention of re-reading it and thanks to this version I feel quite comfortable about this.
I said in my Amazon review of the recent 'Mayor Of Casterbridge' that it was better than the book simply because it was more powerful in its effect, and that Hardy would have agreed with me. I gave my reasons in terms of the Aristotelian theory of Tragedy, and the 'Unities' in particular. I feel the same way about this dramatisation.

I also made the point that Hardy was a writer who by and large described things and people from the outside, and has even been described as a cinematic novelist. I argued that the losses in transfer to screen were therefore minimal. We lose the purely literary value of Hardy's prose of course but this is replaced by the visual accuracy (especially in HD) of what we see for ourselves unmediated by language.
Actually there are other reasons why a dramatisation of Tess can be even more valuable than one of the 'Mayor' and that has to do with the person of Tess herself. I for one believe that Hardy's heart would have overflowed, as mine did, at seeing her so beautifully brought to life as she was here. I still hadn't recovered my composure nearly an hour after Tess met her fate, having switched the TV off immediately out of respect.

I only know two other television adaptations as good as this, or possibly even better, and they are the Madame Bovary from 2000 and the more recent Mayor of Casterbridge.

Respect is due to all who were involved in this production and I mean all those people low down on the credits as well; film is an industrial production process. Most of the time while watching it I could hardly believe that what I was seeing could possibly be so good, especially as it was all achieved on a TV budget and production schedule.
How could it be this good? We don't really deserve TV of this quality. We don't take TV seriously enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm counting my chickens..., 28 Sep 2008
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
I'm three quarters through the televised premiere of BBC's Tess, and I'm signing up for the DVDs. It's brought the book to life for me, and the book is lively enough. It captures the desperation, the injustice, the morality and the passion of the story. The cast are great but Gemma Arterton is stunningly brilliant as Tess and the cinematography is just perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gemma Arterton is stunning, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
This is how I first discovered Gemma Arterton. Being an avid lover of period dramas and adaptations I was instantly drawn to this and hooked when it was shown on BBC. I've read some of the other reviews but I just loved it. I haven't read the book though, so maybe I would see a different side if I did. I personally feel that Gemma Arterton is stunning and am now a huge fan. I felt Alec was a great villain, he scared me and made me feel uncomfortable when watching. Hans Matheson is so talented (and extremely handsome) and I felt he played the part perfectly. I can see where some people are coming from when they say he isn't dark or enough of a villain, maybe if he wasn't as clean cut or dashing? I love him all the same. I think Tess and Angel's lovemaking at the end was quite beautiful, they knew she was going to die and they wanted to be together. I think Angel was played exquisitely by Eddie Redmayne and I think he and Tess make a beautiful and very believable couple. I just wanted to shake him when he left her! I love this adaptation and got very deep into it, I cried throughout! I really enjoyed it and think it's fantastic work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very romantic!, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
I am watching this BBC series. Actually I still haven't finished to see all episodes but I'm loving it.
Suitable for all romantic people and fans of Eddie Redmayne, my favourite actor, maybe one of the best among young British actors now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Tess, 12 May 2010
Reader, I Read It "Sarah" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] (DVD)
There is no doubt that Gemma Arterton makes the perfect Tess - amazing actress and utterly gorgeous. There are some beautiful moments in this production and, if you know the novel, seeing Tess happy are some of the most poignant scenes. And, If you haven't read the novel, have tissues at standby.

I may ruffle some feathers but you have to admit, watching this film makes other chick flicks feel like watching 90minutes of moaning women with nothing to moan about.

Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD]
Tess Of The D'Urbervilles [DVD] by Gemma Arterton (DVD - 2008)
5.50