5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga DVD
Published on 15 Feb 2010 by Emma Ratcliffe

3.0 out of 5 stars only if you are a young fit beginner
This was the first yoga DVD I bought and to start with I was quite pleased with it, though it was obvious some workouts were beyond me.I am a fairly fit,though not very sporty or flexible 71 year old.I have done freestyle yoga for several years once a week, but Salute to the Sun, for instance,one of the workouts on this DVD is too energetic for me.I soon got bored with...
Published 16 months ago by Lola

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga DVD, 15 Feb 2010
Emma Ratcliffe (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
As someone who has never done any yoga before I brought this DVD purely on the strength of the reviews and comments made. I can confirm this is an excellent DVD for both beginners and further aadvanced with easy to follow routines which you can pick and choose from depending on which routines you prefer. I am very satisfied with this DVD so much so that I have recommended the DVD to 2 of my work colleagues who have now also purchased this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stretched beyond my expectations!, 6 Nov 2009
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I absolutely love this yoga DVD. After practising yoga using Patrica Walden's Yoga for Beginner's DVD for a quite a while - which incidently, is an excellent yoga DVD for absolute beginners - I had become very familiar with the poses and I felt I needed to move up and practise yoga at a higher level of difficulty and at a faster pace. This Body Wisdom Yoga for Beginners DVD with Barbara Benagh instructing, fulfilled my requirements beyond my expectations.

Barbara's workouts contained poses I was aleady familiar with, but Barbara also introduced poses that I had not practised before and I felt myself being thoroughly stretched after evey routine. There are various routines to suit different requirements ie. destressing, balance and strength etc and of varying lengths of time; eg. 10, 20, 25, 30 minutes etc depending on how much time you have to practice. The DVD also contains longer routines with a higher level of difficulty for those wanting more. Like Patricia Walden, Barbara Benagh is a practical and very accomplished yogi. However, I would mention that although this DVD says it is for beginners, I feel that someone who has never practised yoga before - unless they are already very flexible - may find this DVD a bit hard.

There is everything I need in this DVD when it comes to practising yoga at home, and I feel I will not be purchasing another yoga DVD in a long while, because this DVD has it all for me.

I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Jun 2009
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I don't like going to classes because they are far too time consuming and you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them and go along with what everyone else is doing. With a DVD I am now able to do Yoga at any time, for however long or short I want and with this DVD in particular, choose the sort of Yoga I want to do.

This DVD, as far as I can see, actually has about 12 workouts rather than just 10. You have 8 short, basic workouts ranging from backbends for 10mins to Sun salutation for 20mins and a couple of relaxation workouts for 20 to 25mins. There's also one workout for strength. Then in the 'As you progress' section, there are longer, more difficult workouts, again ranging from specifics to relaxation. One of them actually goes up to 70mins.

Barbara is a good teacher and shows you different variations for certain poses. For example if you can't easily lie flat on your back with your knees bent open to the ground, she recommends using blocks, but in her interview she points out that they don't have to be yoga blocks, they can be books. She encourages you to 'use your imagination'. So all you really need is the DVD. During the lessons, Barbara talks you through all the poses and tells you a few of the things to be careful of, all the same, I would recommend watching her at certain times and using your own initiative at others.

I've done Yoga only a few times before when I could get to the gym, but this weekend when I got the DVD, I was able to do 4 short workouts in all. I love this DVD! I love the variety. And yes, it is definitely for beginners and for UK users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Beginners DVD, 29 Sep 2010
C. Seebold - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This DVD has all you need to learn yoga.

When the intro (welcome to the DVD) finishes you go to a menu where you have selections.

The first selection is "How To Use This DVD" which has alot of advice to how to get the most out of this. It is five screens of information, easy to read. Includes good guidance about how you may feel differently on different days and how to handle things.

The second selection is an interview with the teacher. She reiterates some of the items on How To Use This DVD. To me, the first and second selections should be watched, it helps alot.

The third selection is for Getting Started, which are different exercises. The first two, Gentle Unwind and Letting Go Of The Day, are 25 and 30 minutes. They are both relaxing things that are easy to do - a varitey of sitting poses and poses where you are lying down with gentle twists and breathing practice. Easy to do (I am new to yoga) and it gave me condfidence. Then there is one ten minute lesson (Backbends), three twenty minute lessons (Sun Salutations, Standing Poses and Strength & Balance) and a thiry minute lesson (Seated Hip Openers). The How To Use This DVD mentioned to try all of them to see which one felt easiest to start with, then work from there. Perfect advice, and she is giving you cues and advice along the way. It is also nice that there are cutaways in the screen from time to time to show further details and ways to change poses to make it easier if you need to.

The last selection is the longer routines for, what they say, is "As You Progress." Here the routines are longer (30 to 70 minutes or so) for when you are past the Getting Started. Once again, she taught things well and if you worked with the DVD per the instructions, you will find yourself being able to do these things also, which is good - it is all on one video. You should note that are the longer routines there are ones that focus on relaxation, which are great.

As the How To Use mentions, everyonee is different, but this DVD was a spot on choice for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Good content. I'm an absolute beginner and find the exercises, poses difficult. But you go at your own pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars great introduction to yoga - recommended, 8 Jun 2009
W. Sweeney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
for my first foray into the world of 'keep fit' DVDs I must admit a little trepidation. There seems to be a lot of choice out there, and it's hard to know which title will be what you're looking for.
Despite having done a little Pilates previously I'd really got no knowledge of yoga
This DVD was a very gentle and informative introduction, teaching yoga basics at an easy but not too slow pace. The beach scenery is beautiful, though it did make me a little jealous sat in my front room...

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga for Beginners, 4 Mar 2010
J. N. Jardine (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Yoga for beginners is the perfect way to explore and experience the numerous benefits of yoga. Each of these 8 routines focuses on different physical and mental aspects of yoga, such as building strength, improving flexibility, reducing stress and more. These tailored workouts ranging from 10 to 60 minutes, I feel are safe and effective programs are suitable for everybody, of all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD to ease into Yoga, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Good DVD to get you back into/begin yoga. The introduction, while slightly long, does prepare you and informs you of the whys and hows so you understand where yoga fits into your life, how it helps you etc. You dont need fancy yoga equipment to go along with the DVD, the instructor will tell you how you can substitute.
There are several segments on the DVD of 15 and 25 mins so you can pick the segment you prefer rather than having an hour long class all the time.
Poses were clear and easy to follow, you are not rushed and you are told where you will feel the stretch which helps you correct your pose.

5.0 out of 5 stars user friendly, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
great to get you into yoga. no need to worry about being inflexible as the instructor gives you lots of alternatives that get you working just as hard as doing the full pose. one down side to yoga dvds is that you have no one to check your position, the great thing about this dvd is that you are given lots of self checks that seem to sort you right out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Beginners DVD, 30 Aug 2010
C. Ferrell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I am enjoying the instruction and advise on this and I found it perfect for a beginner.

There are two routines that are focused on breathing, while later on she introduces you to other things to do. As she mentions in the interview and as the instructions say, there are different things that you may find easier or harder to work with and you should start with the one or two that you are most comfortable with after viewing them. The breathing and hip openers were the ones I started with, and as I learned, was able to get better at the other items.

The next level expands them. I found the blend of exercise a perfect balance of things I could start with and things to look forward to. Perhaps if someone is in very good shape, or poor shape, it could be too easy or hard, but for most it is a nice balancce I would assume.

Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008]
Yoga For Beginners [DVD] [2008] by Barbara Benagh (DVD - 2008)
10.10