5.0 out of 5 stars Great N series Router
Published on 16 Feb 2009 by Mr. J. C. Ingle

2.0 out of 5 stars Hot product!
Published on 24 April 2010 by Mark Wingrove

5.0 out of 5 stars Great N series Router, 16 Feb 2009
Mr. J. C. Ingle "Jingle" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N 300 Router with Built-in ADSL2/2+ Modem (Electronics)
Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N Router is a great upgrade from the old G series Netgear I used to have. I have worked in IT for around 9 years and we recommend Netgear Routers as they are reliable and easy to configure, this router has only strengthened my belief that Netgear are the best home router manufacturers out there! Where I used to get 1 bar signal strength with my old DG834G I now get full strength (Excellent). I was going to hardwire my house next time I did anything under the floor but this changed everything. A great bit of kit, buy one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Hot product!, 24 April 2010
Mark Wingrove "Wingers57" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
I have used Netgear for many years now with little problem. Until this product. I am on my third one now, and that is going back shortly. I am on O2 and I did not like the locked down interface on the Thomson wireless gateway that they provided. (I was concerned about security and don't like the idea of a service provider being able to access and update my router). I needed an ADSL2+ router and chose the DGN2000. The good points are that the web interface is easy to use and set up. I had no problems with getting it hooked up to O2 and no problems on the wireless side either, although I only used it with 802.11G.

The problem however is the heat it is dissipating. With the product sitting flat (horizontal) the surface temperature of the underside is 60 degrees C. The top surface gets to 50 degrees C. Plastic of course is an insulator, the surface temperature of the integrated circuits must be very hot. Placing the unit vertically will help it to run at a lower temperature as the surface area in free air is larger.

The first thing I noticed on all 3 was the smell of hot electronics. This fades after about a week. But is a sure sign of things not being optimally designed for a long life. The cooler things run the less stressed they are and the longer they work.

With the first unit after a week the ADSL2+ performance dropped by around 25-30%. It performed noticeably better when it was first switched on and cool, this suggests heat affects ADSL 2+ performance.

The first unit eventually locked up. Appeared to be working but was not passing traffic and did not respond to the web interface. I reset it and it repeated an hour or so later. So I changed it on the advice from Netgear.

The second unit lasted around 2 weeks, was hot like the first, and eventually the wireless became intermittent and dissappeared. But the straw that broke the camels back was during a download of mail. The transaction started, several small files were received, then a large 5MB attachment killed the router. I reset everything and repeated it several times. I replaced it with my former Thomson gateway and that worked fine. Again indicating that the Netgear is working close to it's limits

The third unit, well I am using it now. But I doubt if it will last too long at these temperatures. (in a 21 degree C ambient.)

Netgear support have been very helpful and responsive. I cannot fault their service. Judging by their guidance this is a known problem but perhaps affecting a small number of gateways. Perhaps I am just unlucky.

If you have one mount it vertically, it may be ok. I suspect that there is too much packed inside this small box. The technology is still new and leading edge. The next family of devices will probably benefit from lower power and it will not be a problem.

For me, if I am looking at 802.11N and ADSL2+ I will be looking for a bigger box than this product and possibly made out of metal. If it gets hot it will be less stressed than the Netgear version.
Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N 300 Router with Built-in ADSL2/2+ Modem

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother!, 6 Sep 2010
Mr. Shaun Andrews "SA" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
I must add my comments, to try and save potential purchasers some of the pain I've suffered with this router! Yes, it does set up very quickly and simply and, unlike many other reviewers, for me it always worked perfectly "wirelessly". However, as a hard-wired router it has quickly deteriorated in the few weeks that I've been using it. I've had to re-boot it and, more recently my PC too, at least once per day. It appears to me to be overheating and I have not simply had to wait a few seconds for it to re-set, but for several minutes for it to cool down - this despite standing it on edge and away from any heat sources. The problem has steadily worsened. Also, bizarrely, I could still have internet connect but not be able to send emails - I'm not sufficiently technical to understand why, but I have now changed to a BT Hub and the problems have all disappeared....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coverage throughout old flat, 8 April 2010
K. MCCORMICK (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I had a Belkin 'G' rated wireless modem previously and in my flat (with thick walls) and my devices couldn't see the signal from one room to the next making it pretty useless. I was lucky and had a few phone points I could move it around to but it was a faff.

I upgraded to the Netgear DGN2000 a few weeks ago and suddenly I've got wi-fi in the way I always envisaged. The router is fixed in one room and my devices can see the signal throughout the flat. No complaints - it just works & was easy to set up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Netgear, 26 Dec 2011
The set up on this router is really easy bit the only problem is The router runs hot which I think has caused it to breakdown.
Poor design i do not recommend this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long term review, 11 Jun 2011
Bought DGN2000 in 2009. Worked well for about 8 months then began to give intermittent connection problems, both via wireless and via ethernet ports. Sent it back to Netgear and it was replaced under warranty. The new router worked OK until about a month ago, approx 1 year on. It is giving the same intermittent connection problems. It runs very hot, even when using the stand to sit it up on its side (recommended by Netgear).
I will not buy another Netgear product. I'm hoping I can get this one replaced under warranty, but I'd really rather have a different product.

5.0 out of 5 stars installed easily, 22 Feb 2010
Dont be put off, I too was worried as my previous wireless modem was installed by a professional who took hours...
Well, the installation disc was a delight and it all went smoothly. You do need your username for your broadband netowrk - that took me a while to dig out, but that was the only hitch. and now we seem to have better wireless reception round the house. Fingers crossed it lasts...

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Good (Simples), 20 Feb 2010
It's quite early in the life of a router to say this but I am well impressed with this one.
I've only had it for a few weeks, and routers can be temperamental things but so far this has been rock steady.
It was very easy to set up, you really only need to know the user name and password that your ISP sent you and it does the rest itself at the click of a button. The wireless set up was simple too, give your wireless connection a name (SSID), set up a password (WPA or WPA2) you can also choose a wireless broadcast speed if you wish and that's it.
The wireless signal strength has been great around our house, the range is quite good too, with the router near the front of the house I can easily use my laptop at the bottom of the garden and the speed is fab, even as Wireless n routers go, this one has impressed me.
This product is suitable for people with a BT style land line, cable customers can find cheaper options.
After this short space of time I would happily recommend this product to one and all, I may even install some in my workplace.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly bad, 29 Jun 2009
I've been using a DG834Gv2 for about 3 years with no problems at all, but an upgrade to ADSL2+ prompted me to buy one of these. Seemed like the sensible option given that I've had so many years of trouble-free connection with it's predecessor.
Well, sorry to say that Netgear have managed an epic fail with this effort.
Wired connection was okay but did drop out numerous times in the two weeks I tested it (compared to the zero times - yes zero - that my DG834G has in 3 years), but wi-fi was a joke:

-Range is no better than the DG834G (traditional bricks 'n mortar 3 bed semi)
-Real trouble connecting any wireless units (ipod touch just wouldn't connect no matter what I tried, PS3 downstairs randomly connected, but then the next time you'd try wouldnt even acknowledge the router was there, laptop likewise seemed to be luck of the draw)

Real shame as Netgear have always been my go-to brand in routers, but this one has put me right off.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, 17 Mar 2009
I used to have DG834G but the time passes and tings get older, so I decided to go for something new and better. Being satisfied with my previous Netgear I went for DGN2000.
My first impression: looks fine, even if a stand is not available. The first drawback came from the software - no VPN, so this one is a bit stripped-down version. OK, this is not a big problem if one doesn't need it.
Than, the daily usage comes and because there is no stand, it sits flat and overheats big-time. I could barely touch it, so the stand from the old box came into the aid. Still was hot but not scary any more.
Finally, the most difficult part of this model to cope with is its wireless signal. When initially connected it shows 270Mbps but it can gradually drop up to ... 1Mbps!!! It may depend on your neighbours (their boxes) and the box location but no more than 78Mbps for N-draft was possible.
At the same time, location and conditions and on a fully separated channel the Linksys WAG160 was offering 130Mbps, constant and stable (nice design, however not the best).
I have 2 computers with N-draft, one G+ and one hardwired and none could find another because of the very intermittent signal strength or its presence at all. Pings noted from 2ms to `Request timed out', even to the gateway. Whatever I did, it didn't work properly. Well, it could be just my unit and I returned it as faulty. Some other reviews backed mine and some are opposite - could it be than ... a poor manufacturing? I wouldn't recommend it.

Now, I have Draytek Vigor 2820 instead, it is excellent.