5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 24 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Bach - Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio) (Audio CD)
I have a whole collection of Bach's Christmas Oratorio and have always had strong preferences towards certain interpretations, particularly as I sang a lot of Bach whilst being a student in Leipzig. This recording, however, is a welcome addition to my CD shelf and I could not take my ears off it for a few hours. The orchestra does not quite fulfil my admittedly high expectations, as they do not achieve the crispness and clarity you'd expect for Bach. The biggest surprise, however, is the lightness and perfect musical shape with which the Schönberg-Chor and all soloists perform. They never force a sound, they are able to zoom to high notes in perfect harmony, they sing with flawless diction, e.g. when they take the weight off end syllables,... just great. Since I found this recording so astonishing, I have placed some more CDs by this choir in my shopping basket. Can't wait for the St Matthew Passion!

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous celebration!, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Bach - Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio) (Audio CD)
This is absolutely superb, a wonderfully joyous realisation of Bach's Christmas celebration work. Elegantly phrased and with tempi that appear just right, there is a wonderful sense of seasonal joy here. Choir, orchestra and soloists superb. One of those occasions where everything comes together. I've got three versions of this piece on CD but this is top of the list but for conducting, singing and, above all, for the sheer joy of celebration. Give yourself a treat and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach Christmas Oratorio conducted by Harnoncourt, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Bach - Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio) (Audio CD)
CD supplied promptly at the right price. My wife and I have known this work for many years in other versions, but playing it has hitherto had the feeling of duty rather than enjoyment; but by contrast Harnoncourt's performance has us listening again just for the sheer pleasure of it. Buy it!

Bach - Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio)
Bach - Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio) by Nikolaus Harnoncourt (Audio CD - 2008)