5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Printer
Published on 24 Oct 2009 by Chris Vickers

3.0 out of 5 stars laser colour printer
I purchased this because I have a similar one at work which is excellent, however this model is not made to the same standard and is definitely a cheap and cheerful version for lighter use.

Published on 31 July 2009 by Pauline M. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Printer, 24 Oct 2009
Chris Vickers (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
The Dell 1320c is a great printer, it is far superior to its little brother the Samsung CLP-315 (both printers are made by Samsung). I have personal experience of both printers. The Dell is around 35% taller than the Samsung and has a slightly greater footprint. The extra height is due to the fact that this is a single pass printer as opposed the Samsung which is a four pass printer. Speeds are good for the price (12ppm color and 16pp B&W), and the colour pages come out a lot faster than on the CLP-315.

Setup is straightforward but you must do as Dell recommends (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP), watch the setup video, there is a hairaising monent where you have to remove the imaging unit, remove some tapes, and replace the unit. It is possible to damage the transfer belt at this stage so be careful.

The software intalls easily and if installing on a network this is no problem at all.

Photo prints are very close to photographic quality and every detail is seen. This is in contrast to the CLP-315 where fine details get lost. Plain text is sharp and clear down to 2pts.

It is easy to find non-OEM toners by searching the web and you can obtain a full set of compatible high capacity cartridges for around £60 which makes running cost very low indeed.

This is a superb printer with built in networking and at a ridiculously low price, don't buy the CLP-315 as the feature set and quality of the Dell is far, far superior, and at the same price as the Samsung CLP-315 it is a no brainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good printer - but toner is costly, 10 April 2009
J. Aitken "John at Linnet" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
I purchased this printer recently to replace a B&W laser, which needed new toner. I was attracted by the low purchase price for a colour laser, not much more than the cost of toner for my old printer.

It was easy to install and produces excellent results.

Then came the shock. The cost of a set of 4 toner cartridges was more than twice the purchase price of the printer. It would encourage people to throw away the printer when it runs out of toner and buy a new one! Its time this crazy practice of selling cheap printers with over-priced consumables ended. Better to pay a proper price for the printer and make the consumables more reasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, 9 April 2009
MC (Cheltenham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
I bought the printer about a month ago, only 100 sheets printed as yet, but no problems so far. The cartridge level indicators still show 100%. Print quality is good. The printer is on the large size for home use, much bigger than an ink-jet, but no bigger than other colour laser printers I have used.

The printer is on a home network with a 2 PCs and a Mac. After downloading the Mac driver from the Dell site, there were no problems setting up.

To prevent un-needed use of coloured toner, I installed the Mac driver twice, one set to mono only (set as the default) and one set to full colour for optional use when required.

3.0 out of 5 stars laser colour printer, 31 July 2009
Pauline M. Thomas (S Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)

Although it is possible to get excellent results these are only achieved using 90gsm paper. With ordinary 80 gsm there are several problems. There is a strong tendency for the paper to jam and creasing of part of the page happens frequently. This means the image is not so good either. The work version has cartridges which last for ages but this is not true of those installed in this machine, which have already had to be replaced. The cost of toner cartridges is extortionate so there will not be a saving as I had expected compared to using an inkjet.

Overall I would not recommend this printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Value, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
I bought this to replace my old HP959c inkjet, which was mainly used to print text. The difference in print quality is amazing, with very clear text and good colours. I have not attempted to use it to print photos, because that is not something that I would expect from any budget priced laser printer.
This printer may well be the cheapest colour laser currently available, but it certainly does not look or feel cheap.
Be warned, it is big and heavy, and its black and silver colour scheme makes it look even bigger.
There is a 19 stage installation process, but the software guides you effortlessly though it with films to show you exactly what to do.
Best of all it is a network printer. If you connect to your wireless router with a network cable, instead of directly connecting it to your computer by USB then any computer on your wireless network can print from it, provided you install the printer driver software on each machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 15 Dec 2008
Mr. P. Knox "P Knox" (Aberdeen UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
Easy installation I found it really easy setting it up over my local home network (Netgear wireless router) following the step by step instructions from Dell you can't go wrong. Your getting a lot for your money and the print quality is excellent. This is a rather big printer it does take up a bit of space. A bargain considering the price.

If you want this for your home network or office you will need a get or purchase a network ethernet cable as it does not come with one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer, 25 Oct 2010
C. Tooby "Motorcycle Courier" (Billericay, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
I bought this to replace my ageing Epson Stylus Photo 830 inkjet printer. It hasn't worked out quite as planned.
I run a small business so I wanted a printer that would be less fussy than an inkjet and cheaper to run.

First the good news; this is an excellent printer (5 stars) for printing A4 documents (I've only used it with 90gsm paper). Printing is very crisp and colours vibrant. I've had no problems whatsoever.
I don't print many photos but I've been happy with those that I have.
I've had it nearly 5 months. The black cartridge is now low but the others are still pretty full. So I would say that it is likely to be cheaper to run than my inkjet even buying genuine cartridges.

Now the bad news; one of the reasons I chose this printer was that I need to print envelopes and this printer has a separate front single sheet feeder for that purpose. However it doesn't really work. It's very reluctant to feed an envelope and when it does it comes out badly creased. I've tried a couple of different envelope sizes and the results are the same. The end result is that the old Epson Inkjet is still on my desk just so I can print envelopes!

So, in summary, if you don't need to print envelopes I think you'll be very pleased with this printer. If you do then have an alternative solution or buy a different printer.

ps there have been a lot of reviews of this printer and none seem to have mentioned the envelope printing problem. Am I the only reviewer that prints envelopes or the only one with a problem doing so?

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy me., 26 Feb 2009
D. Horton (Winchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
This printer is cracking value for money. I am using it purely for home use. The results are good. I've no experience of colour lasers but compared to my monochrome Samsung it is much quieter, faster and quicker to print from cold.

I'm surprised that photographs are quite good. Not as good as my Canon Pixma on glossy paper though. I'd say adequate for a quick print.

The down side is the cost of the replacement toners which would make photo printing far too expensive for normal use. Bear in mind that the toners are good for 1000 pages with the proviso that only 5% of the page has printing. It is easy in the printer driver to set it to print black only if you want.

It is very easy to set up a network by connecting the printer to a router. Every PC on the network must have the driver installed from the supplied CD. From then on any PC on the same router can print straight to the printer.

I need it to print the odd map with the benefit that the print won't run if it gets wet.Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !!!, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
With a footprint about the same size as a 17" CRT style monitor its not particularly small; particularly if you intend it for a home office; but its about a third the size of the HP500C it replaced here so has freed up half a desk.

Quiet, quick and reliable (we have had it about 6 months with no problems at all.) Good drivers with feedback about toner life etc means there should be no unexpected running out mid-way through an important print run.

Perfect for general colour office document printing with graphics but this is definitely not a photo quality printer.

It is DEFINITELY worth reading the initial setup instructions no matter how experienced with similar technology you may be as these have a number of operations that must be completed to unpack correctly before powering up.

Overall, this is one hell of a printer at this price - fully recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Dell 1320CN Network Colour Laser Printer (Electronics)
I was surprised at just how large the printer actually is, but I am very happy with it as it prints very well. The only slightly annoying thing is that it has a tendency to print photos slightly darker than they may appear on the screen. I should stress it is only very slightly, not extreme and does not necessarily take away from the quality of the photo. Overall very pleased 9/10