on 15 February 2011
I bought one of these kits recently. I had a Alesis Pro in the past and liked that quite a lot. When my marriage dissolved I left the Alesis Pro for my son to play and wanted to find another.
The Session Pro DD505 was roughly the same price as the Alesis kit but in my opinion is superior. For one it is much easier to set up. The fittings are excellent and the instructions are easy to follow, which is not the case with the Alesis version.
The sound is superb and the module very easy to use. I like very much the fact that it has an inout socket so you can easily connect an external music source to play along to your favourite tunes.
One thing I was interested in by way of a comparison was the operation of the hi-hat. The Alesis version was very hit and miss and it seemed to me the processor was maybe not up to the job. On the Session Pro drums however the hi-hat operates seamlessly and it is possible to play some quite complex patterns on the hi-hat without problem.
I play drums quite hard and have now been using this kit for several months without any problems whatsoerver. The fittings and general construction all seem to be sturdy and of very good quality.
I read one review that felt the bass drum pedal was not as sturdy as it could be so prior to buiyng the kit I had purchased a pedal. I haven't even used it however as the pedal that comes with the kit is sufficiently sturdy for even the battering I give it.
My only wish is that the module had some expansion slots to maybe add further cymbal pads but that is a minor point. I am very very pleased with this kit and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for an easy to use kit for beginners or a very useable practice or studio kit for more advanced drummers.
My only other gripe is a general one and not directed at this kit. Why is it that when you buy a drumkit you don't get a stool with it? A drumkit isn't complete without one but no sellers of kits, electronic or otherwise, give you a stool as part of the package. This is something manufacturers need to sort out.
Anyway, that aside, the Session Pro DD505 is a superb kit and excellent value for money.
on 4 December 2010
The physical response from the pads is excellent. Get the headphones on, select a kit sound you are happy with, and you will soon forget you are playing on rubber pads. There are plenty of individual drum sounds to customise your own kit, with individual sensitivity & volume settings per pad. The aux in is a great facility for plugging in your MP3 and playing a long. This is ideal for anyone tight on space who wants to practice at home, and without upsetting the neigbours. The initial set up took a while to get all the angles/heights adjusted to my personal playing preference but the flexibility is there to do this. Very good value for money, highly recommended.
on 21 January 2010
The Pro-session DD506 drum kit is a generic Chinese made instrument, also branded as Fame, Legacy, Black Mamba or Medeli drums. The DD506 differs slightly from the previous versions in particular the player can now 'choke' the cymbals by holding the leading edge after the cymbal is struck. Its not exactly like an acoustic set but fairly realistic. The drum module also offers some additional sounds and the snare drum can produce the sound of rim shots when selected.
I bought this kit for my son to practice on up to Grade 3 level and I have to say I think it offers great value for money.
Only couple of gripes would be the bass pedal which comes new with the kit is very flimsy and just not up to heavy, repeat use. I replaced this unit with a standared Pearl pedal which fits fine and gives a greater feeling of rhobustness.
The arm upon which the drum module sits is a little odd and could be better designed as the module does not always seem to be completely secure.
My son also managed to break one of the support arms to the crash cymbal (don't ask). Again a non standard replacement arm was purchased cheaply and fitted the frame, although Yamaha brackets are similar, they do not fit.
Finally after much abuse the Hi-hat cymbal failed. This cymbal produces three sounds, namely closed, half open and fully open. I considered replacing the drum trigger but at £30 to replace the whole cymbal, it didn't seem worth it.
Don't be put off by these minor problems. The kit can take literally a good beating and is ideal for a beginner or a seasoned drummer looking to practice where noise is of concern. The sounds are very realistic and with some tweaking can be very useable in most situations.
The kit was never designed to compete with the thousand pound plus Rolands but at a few hundred pounds they are great value and well worth the investment.
99 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2011
I bought this kit for my 19year old son for Christmas. His only drumming experience has been the dreaded XBOX rock band kit. I have never seen my son so excited over a present before. He set it up on his own (usually has to led by the nose to do anything)only took him about an hour and half, he has been ensconced in his room every since, not a moan out of him, and only a mild thudding on the floor, well worth the peace that now reigns in my home. A brilliant kit has everything a beginner could want.
on 3 April 2010
I do all the computer stuff in our house so I selected a range of kits for my husband (a regular gigs rock drummer) to review. He already has a Roland kit and Premier but wanted this as a knock around kit for the studio.
He selected the DD505 and he has been very impressed with it. It sounds good and is intuitive to set up. He thought the arms needed strengthening either side in case he pressed down on them accidentally so he made some uprights (wooden and sprayed black) to give it extra support.
The packaging was superb and the kit arrived quickly - he's not one for waiting for things! He's really pleased with the kit and it is good value for money.
on 29 April 2012
I bought my Session Pro DD505 from elsewhere after much research and reading all the positive reviews about the kit, over many different websites.
I'm only 6 months in to drumming and have up until now been using a silent mesh head practice kit. Although I'd love an acoustic kit, it's just not practical so a digi kit was the next best option. My teacher isn't a huge fan of electric kits, but he was suitably impressed with the DD505, especially when I told him how much I paid for it! (well under the usual price as my kit had been opened in the shop). He was particularly impressed with the sensitivity of the pads, and the overall realism of the sound produced. Incidentally I'm only using a Fender practice guitar amp, so it could sound better with an amp that can handle more bass.
It really is an excellent kit for the money, and probably more than enough for any beginner/intermediate drummer.
I've read reviews saying that it's flimsy and the clamps break, but I'd like to know what these drummers are doing to it! It's a very robust metal tubular frame and the clamps, although plastic, seem more than up to the job. Also the foot pedals are very solid, I have no idea how you break those!
Everything is adjustable in a million different ways - the stock photo shows the snare to the left and directly in line with the high hat, but I've set mine up to resemble an acoustic set with snare central to the high and middle toms.
My only whinge is that the high hat doesn't always trigger, but I have been able to improve this by adjusting the gain. It only misses very occasionally so it's no biggie for me.
All in all a great electronic kit and I think you'd be hard pushed to find something better for the money.
on 5 April 2012
Ive had this kit a couple of weeks now (April 12), and so far it seems great value for money.

The box package was rather large and heavier than expected, but all the components were well packed and individually wrapped. There is no drum stool provided, but apart from that everything is there, including drum-sticks; the bass pedal provided is cheap but works ok, although its probably inferior for pros. The tubular frame is robust and easy to assemble with adjustable-screw brackets. I found the assembly easy to follow and it took a couple of hours max - just put together the frame and wire the pads/cymbals to the electronics box. Theres a built-in metronome and several songs to play to. You can connect both MP3 player (or cd) and headphones, but you will need adapter jacks for both, plus buy a wire with a jack each end (not included) for mp3. The electronics box plays your mp3 tracks as loud (or quiet) as you choose and you can also set the volume of your drumming as well, I was quite pleased with the results given the price-tag.

Criticisms: firstly, you are unable to expand the kit, i.e. cannot add extra pads/cymbals. More importantly, I dont know if you can buy a replacement pad should one break - I do worry about how long the kit will 'last' before something breaks. Second, the bass pad is not responsive enough when playing rapid kick beats. I have a double bass beater pedal and the kit couldnt process/play any rapid double-bass pattern - any metal drummers beware, you will be dissapointed here. Lastly, although there are 20 preset kits, I think only a couple are usable for normal drumming - at first I wished there were more basic drumkit sounds, and less percussion noises. Very quickly I just left the default drum kit on.

All-in-all seems excellent value (but nothing broken yet) and I would recommend to anyone.
on 24 October 2012
I love this product, I am still learning right now but it's great for beginners. There are so many different settings and sounds. I was disapointed as when I bought it I thought the sound would automatically come from it or atleast I could plug my headphones in, but this wasnt the case, I had to plug it into an amp, which luckily I had as I have an electric guitar, but this was inconvenient as I didnt want to make too much noise through the amp. I couldnt play on it properly until I bought a jack which enabled me to plug my headphones in. Great product, but make sure you have either an amp or a jack so you can actually listen to what you are playing.
on 11 January 2009
Great for a beginner, quick to set up and you can't here the drums getting played.... which is a shame, I love hearing my daughter practise.

Get a good pair of headphones or get an amp needs to be able to handle bass - most are for guitars! -or both.
on 18 December 2010
For the bass to give any realistic sound , you need a decent amp .But with headphones there is no problem, Excellent kit for the price.