on 20 March 2009
This is the only smallish toaster which has a long enough slot to take a slice of home made bread from a Panasonic bread maker. Fortunately it also makes evenly coloured toast in a reasonable time. It doesn't have lots of fancy options (less to go wrong) but it does the job very well.
on 12 May 2009
Arrived promptly, looks good, works well. Nice wide spaces for toasting Hot Cross Buns, held by sprung sides. Excellent value.
on 29 October 2009
Standard toaster. Only annoying thing (and this is probably a problem for loads of other toasters, so take it with a grain of salt) is that the outside gets really hot, so taking your toast out of it without burning yourself is a bit of a challenge. I had a toaster with a plastic outside before, which didn't have this problem.
on 12 December 2009
no complaints, it seems to do the job it was intended for can get a bit hot at the sides, beware, not a bad price and I do like the slots for toasting which will take thick bread and will toast evenly, overall Im quite pleased with itRussell Hobbs 14360 Classic 2 Slice Toaster in brushed stainless steel
on 21 May 2009
Only 4 stars for an otherwise excellent product, simple, clean elegant lines but beware: the casing of this toaster gets very, very hot! The entire surface heats up to a degree that is positively dangerous for the very young and the very old and everyone else in between.
on 21 April 2012
After some consideration of a number of other brands/models, and after viewing this model at Comet, I made my decision based on the following:
1. Colour (we wanted brushed Stainless Steel to go with the other appliances in the kitchen)
2. The length, width and depth of the toasting slots. In particular, the length of the slots is a good inch longer than most other makes, meaning that you can easily fit the longer, round-top makes of bread. The width is very good too, meaning you can fit door-step slices in.

The first delivery arrived one day earlier than expected.
I read the instructions and set things up. The first thing I noticed was that the light didn't come on when the toaster handle was depressed. The instructions said that it would light up, but it didn't. I actually sent an email to Russell Hobbs, who, fair-do's, replied quickly. They said that the light only lights up when the toaster is being used on a defrost setting. So it turned out that the instructions are incorrect it seems.
However, prior to this, I had decided to fully inspect the unit and lo and behold, came across what looked like melted plastic on the power lead.

I decided to return the product, as at that point I had come to the conclusion that with a damaged power lead and the 'no light' situation, it must be faulty (possible dangerous!!). The returns process was easy and made even easier by the fact that I have a Collect+ service in one of our local village shops - so saved the hassle of having to travel a long distance or send via the Post Office.

What amazed me was that I processed the return on Tuesday afternoon, got the email confirmation that a replacement would be despatched etc, and this was delivered the following morning!! Now that's what I call a great service.

The replacement is fine and seems to be working ok; though not had too much experience with different items as yet.

The one thing that I would say is to be sure that you use the notches at the base of the toaster to wind up any surplus power lead. This toaster (being metal) does get extremely hot, as others have mentioned. So make sure the plastic power lead doesn't touch the side of the toaster when in use just in case the temperature becomes hot enough to 'melt' the cable.

Overall, I'm pleased with what I've bought, but due to the initial hassle, I've gone down to four stars. I may provide an update after its had more use with different items.

UPDATE: The following day, I toasted crumpets . . . . BEWARE . . . when you use the handle to lift the said crumpets out, the toaster is so light that the whole appliance lifts. On attempting to grasp the crumpets, the backs of my fingers touched the appliance . . . OUCH! . . . it's very hot; so be extra careful when getting smaller items out. Personally, I think Russell Hobbs should take a look at this very hot metal issue, or at least design the product so that the lift mechanism goes a bit higher. I'd probably rate this 3 stars now:-(
on 5 March 2010
Excellent toaster, thick, thin, frozen, crumpets, tea cakes... whatever.. it does exactly what it says on the tin.. couldnt ask for a better toaster..10 / 10
on 20 October 2009
Although advertised as the brushed model I received the chromed model - which is actually what I'd prefer as it matches my kettle.

Great toaster, fits huge pieces of bread, but on their side. Really wide, and also deep slots. Makes great crispy toast, crisp on the outside and soft and fluffy inside. Even toasting across the slice too.

My main criticism is how hard it is to keep clean. Not a fault of the product, just something to be aware of. Unless you are massively ott with your cleaning its going to look daubed up fairly quickly. Maybe make sure you are getting the brushed one if you're worried about keeping it clean, could be because mine is a cheaper graded version is why I got the chromed one?

Otherwise, the final issue with mine (and I think the reason it was 'graded' is the legs aren't even and so it doesn't sit flat. It wobbles. I've fixed this though by glueing another tiny piece of rubber to one of the existing rubber feet.
on 5 September 2009
I bought this as I was fed up buying cheaper lesser models. This toaster is a classic solid piece of kit. It toasts well and each slot is big enough to take even the biggest doorstop of home made bread. Heating up cold toast works well and it looks good on the kitchen unit. I am a big fan of Russell Hobbs toaster and once again this one has not let me down.
on 4 December 2011
This toaster is not of top quality and looks rather better than it is made. Having said that, it works and at £23.99 represents fair value. The big bonus is that the slots are much more accommodating than normal and at 17cm x 3cm easily fit thick, sliced bread placed horizontally.

Pros
Produces very even colour, good quality toast
Able to accommodate big slices without squeezing
Adequately long flex
Very easy to use and effective crumb tray

Cons
The casing gets very hot
When toasted, one has to use extra lift to retrieve the toast easily
A slow toast at almost 3 minutes for golden brown (about 3½ on the dial)
When toasting one slice, one side tends to be overdone

So, not perfect ....but big slices fit!