Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

When I began gardening, long before most folks were born, vine weevils were unknown to me, and remained so until I "escaped to the country" 26 years ago upon retirement. I had always grown giant Begonias, and continued to do so in my first year in my new home. But when I got out the stored tubers the following season, I found they were just hollow skins, each one populated by two or three white grubs; and so I met the vine weevil. There was then no antidote for this pest, and I could never find the adults no matter how I tried, so I gave up tuberous Begonias. As my garden developed, so did the vine weevil, the tell-tale scalloped cut-outs along leaf edges appearing everywhere; this was the only significant effect on plants in the garden (for which there is still no cure), but those in pots were a different story. No longer was it possible to keep any plants for a second season; and I spent many hours picking the grubs out of the spent compost dumped into a wheelbarrow at the end of autumn, and feeding them to the tame Robin.

Then Provado appeared. I started using it several years ago, and although expensive, I would not be without it. It works faultlessly, and I mix it with liquid fertiliser, so there's no extra work involved. My expenses have increased further, though, because I now have to buy mealworms for the Robin.

If you grow plants in containers, this product is indispensable. I am pleased now to see it here on Amazon, where prices are always competitive. Watch out, incidentally, if you plant any of the new, brightly-coloured Heucheras in your garden; they are vine-weevil caviar, and small plants can be destroyed. Strangely, the adults don't seem to eat the leaves, so there's no warning until the plant collapses, and is found to have lost all its roots...

FOOTNOTE:

Some time after writing the above review, I became aware of the concern relating to the use of nicotine derivatives as pestkillers. To put matters into perspective, nicotine has been used as a pestkiller for the better part of a century (for decades in its most poisonous, concentrated form), whereas the decline in the bee population has only been drawing attention relatively recently. I deplore it as much as anyone, but I can't say I've noticed it in my garden. It's worth noting that ALL pest sprays will kill bees, and perhaps the most noteworthy fact is that the decline wasn't halted by the banning of DDT and systemic organo-chlorides which we all used in the sixties and seventies; in fact it seems to have accelerated.

The RHS has a balanced paper on the subject on its website. But it's clear from all the contradicting views that there is more to the bee decline than meets the eye, and as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out. Those who wish to ban pesticides point to the cost of pollination if bees are reduced to the point where they do not contribute; but what would be the cost of lost production if foodcrop pests could not be eliminated ? I'm glad I don't have to judge this issue...

That said, no pesticide or herbicide should be applied without careful consideration and forethought. We are encouraged to use nematodes, for example; but all organisms evolve (think of the bird flu virus and antibiotic-resistant bacteria); how long before one of the nematodes we now so profusely multiply and spray around mutates into one that can feed on, say, a bee - when it finds its colleagues have consumed all the vine weevils ?

My rules are; don't spray anything until there's a problem, but do nip the problems in the bud to avoid the need for excessive spraying later on; NEVER blanket-spray weedkillers on lawns or anywhere else; always spot-spray; and always leave a substantial part of the garden totally unsprayed. My vine weevil killer is applied only to pots, tubs and baskets around the house (and without it I wouldn't have any); and the rest of my 5 acres is pesticide-free. I feel this to be the best compromise currently available.
on 18 May 2013
The plant pots that were treated last year have no Vine Weevils. The pots not treated have Vine Weevils. I treated Primulas and various plants in the garden. The plants treated have never been so healthy and they have multiplied. There are no holes in their leaves for the first time ever. Good stuff it works, I recommend for the extermination of Vine Weevils.
on 7 August 2013
This is the only product I have found that will get rid of vine weevils. I use it every year when I plant up my hanging baskets and tubs. There is no sign of weevils, eggs or larvae when the containers are emptied.
on 22 May 2013
Does as stated easy to apply
Just what I needed to control grubs
Drench your compost before using to control
on 6 October 2014
I've tried many Weevil 'killers' without success. A lot of the products I have ordered (be they live or powdered) have not worked as well as Provado and, to be honest, I am absolutely over the moon. I'd actually left the application until mid-August, so didn't hold out much hope, but ........... yesterday, I started taking my tubs and baskets apart and I am astonished to have not found one vine weevil! OK, this product wasn't cheap, but a lot cheaper than others I've tried and I'll certainly be buying again and again. I used the whole carton for my baskets, but it was worth it. Don't hesitate in buying this product - I can't recommend it enough.
on 22 December 2013
we are besieged by vine weevils every year in both pots and the open ground. This product helps to keep some kind of control over them; the nematodes don't seem to work for us.
on 26 May 2011
This works far better than any other vine weevil product, give it a go you have nothing to lose, other than the pesky vine weevils.
on 26 June 2014
Provado Vine Weevil killer.

If you are unfortunate to get this pest in your garden then this product is definately for you. It is excellent.
on 11 June 2014
In my opinion, this is the best product for vine weevil control. Nematodes are too dependent on temperature unless used in a greenhouse.
on 25 May 2013
Fast, efficient service for a product that works well against the invasion of horrible vine weevils. Very necessary treatment for the pots of flowers, heucheras, etc., as these creatures love to devour the roots and stems under the surface. Every gardener needs Provado if vine weevils have taken up residence in the pots and baskets in which they enjoy a good life until this product is applied, preferably twice a year to ensure your plants are not killed by these nasty, white maggots.