Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

4.6 out of 5 stars4,040
Colour: Classic|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 January 2010
Colour: Pro|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As the person who sharpens all the kitchen knives for the family I can say that I have purchased (and been given) a variety of machines and objects which all claim to sharpen kitchen knives; and every time I have been disappointed by the results - until now. I was expecting the usual grotty results and then several hours with steel and stone attempting to get an edge back on the knife, thankfully I was wrong.

This works, and it was honestly a shock.

It is a very small unit, quite neat really. It has a lever operated suction foot to hold it (relatively) firmly on the work surface - though I have the urge to keep hold of it due to some movement and the occasional failure of the suction.

With just a couple of angled pulls you start to find that the blade is becoming beautifully sharp, with one exception (and you knew there would have to be something).

The sharpener works up to the last (approximately) 2cm of the blade. As you get towards the tip of the blade it is hard to keep up the necessary angle and pressure to sharpen it. However, this can be remedied by a minute or two with a sharpening stone - my problem is: if I have to get the stone out to sharpen the tip why should I bother with this sharpener at all.

I have used this over Christmas and New Year and it has been a speedier alternative to the steel and/or stone that I normally use - sharpening of the blade tips excluded. I would, however, like to see some protective shields for those times when you are forced to hold the sharpener to give it some help holding firm on the counter surface.

I would recommend that you don't use this sharpener on a kitchen surface that you prepare food on, as it produces a significant amount of fine sharp metal shavings and flakes - these can be cleaned up using a damp cloth, but you can't always guarantee that you have removed them all. It could really do with a small well adding to the design so as to catch most of the filings and so save the counter tops from contamination.

It is the first time I have ever cut my finger when sharpening a knife. The fine metal shavings went into the wound and it a major headache cleaning them out (hence the need for a protective shield around the external edges of the sharpener).

All-in-all it is good for sharpening the main part of the blade, but you will still need to sharpen the blade tip separately - other than that, and a couple of minor design faults (which could be easily remedied), it is the only "sharpener", other than steel and stone, that I have had that has worked.
4040 comments|396 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2014
Sticks tightly on table surface. Easy to use and sharpens the knives in no time! Would be nice, If I could sharpen scissors too.
on 30 December 2013
We have used this once or twice and found it very effective. It's far smaller than I anticipated (I didn't check the size on the description (doh!). Do look at the videos 'You Tube' on how to use it - I think it must be helpful to do so as some people have commented that it makes a horrid noise when you use it - well, we can only imagine they pressed too hard. You just 'wipe' the knife across and it's sharp. I can also understand the comments on swarf - the knife may need wiping with a cloth after but it's negligible and can be no more than if you were using a stone to sharpen. The suction pad is amazing and definitely holds the gadget to the surface. Why only 4 stars - well, we haven't used it much and so we don't know the long term effects and it's not a cheap item. I can understand why it advises againt using on finely serrated knives, so I won't try it on mine! But I'm glad I bought it - it means I can sharpen knives very quickly and easily.
on 9 February 2010
If you value you knives then don't buy this product, it sharpens but each time you pass it over the ceramic tips it takes huge chunks off the blade. It's fine for cheap knives and it does sharpen them but for proper knives get a decent stone and do it properly, the edge will be x10 sharper and last for longer.
on 14 August 2013
Great start. Lovely sharp knives, don't keep their edge that well but that is probably the knives. After using this for a while and sharpened several knives, it takes longer to sharpen a knife and doesn't give such a keen edge to the blade.
on 31 March 2010
This sharpener works extremely well on the standard kitchen knives and scissors that I've used it on. Do not be worried by other reviews saying that large amounts of material are removed from the knife when sharpening it. It's true that the first time you use this sharpener with a knife, a visible amount of material may well be removed if the shape of the knife does not match the shape of the sharpener. However, when using the sharpener again on the knife the amount of material removed is so little that you can hardly see it. On that basis I do not believe that using this sharpener would reduce the lifetime of a knife, and that if the rest of the knife remained in good condition the blade could still remain sharp and usable for many years.

I'm not an expert in knife sharpening, nor somebody who is particularly interested in the business. I find this knife sharpener simple, quick and easy to use -- the result is a sharp knife with minimal effort.
0Comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2010
Very easy to use
Gives a keen edge
Very Stable
Best Sharpener I have Used
and, I am 80yrs. old
on 18 April 2012
Bought this as I had an older set of steel knives that just weren't sharpening up (using a steel) as they used to. Using this sharpener (which securely holds to a kitchen worktop using the suction mount) brought my old knife set back to life.

As you draw the knife through the sharpener, only applying light pressure, you can see the small bits of metal coming off and the resistance each time you pull it through the sharpener seems to get a bit less. I used this on all types of knives, including a serrated bread knife. Fantastic results.

Pros:
- easy to use
- securely fixes to work surface
- definitely sharpens knives
- works on serrated blades

Cons:
- slightly cheap feel about its plastic construction
on 13 September 2015
Terrible. Lost suction on every top eventuality. Kinda ripped blades instead of sharpening them. Bought a whetstone it was loads better!
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2013
Excellent product, keeps the blades you use it on razor sharp, be aware that light pressure gives a better result than heavy pressure when sharpening the blades.