Format: DVD|Change

on 24 April 2009
After being engrossed in Season one when it aired on ITV last year, I immediately bought the box set. Then I waited patiently for a year until season 2 was aired (then I was unaware of it being on FX) and I couldn't wait. Was I disappointed? No! My only concern is that season 3 won't come out until this time next year as ITV take a year to show it even though it will have shown on FX and finished by the summer holidays!

In my opinion, as many others also feel, this is superior to season 1 and that is some feat. Departing from the novels, the series begins to delve further into the characters and especially Dexter as he appears to start growing a conscience and scepticism over harry's 'code' and he is caring more about life and people around him as his eyes are opened by the amazingly disturbed Lila Tourney (Jaime Murray). It's nice to have some British blood in such a great show and alot of British flesh as she seems to be half, if not fully, naked most of the time.

The body count in this series is less so than the first but I think this benefits the show as I have always believed that the strength of Dexter is not being a TV show for horror fans but an engaging, tense and gripping drama for everyone to enjoy where the main character happens to be a serial killer of serial killers. In some ways it annoys me that the show is promoted as such as it makes many people not want to watch it but trust me you will love it even if you are squeamish. The gore in the show, not too much, is not supposed to be cool and disgustingly OTT as it is in films like 'Saw' and 'Hostel'. It is shown for what it is and it's only very rarely that we see a blood fest. You never actually see Dexter cutting the bodies up you only ever see the end product.

The second seasons arc, the first season's being the ice truck killer pursuit, is the mystery surrounding a discovery of an underwater graveyard with many body parts in many black bags. We know that these are Dexter's victims and the season unfolds into a tense mystery drama where we know the killer and the traditional whodunnit theory is out the window as we know who did it, it's how avoids the law and manipulates others which makes the show so appealing. So the spotlight has moved from the ice truck killer in season 1 to dexter himself in season 2.

Sgt. Doakes (Erik King) is brilliant this season and contriubutes to the explosive finale and shows more human qualities in his character than perhaps in season 1 where he appeared a more black and white comic book character than one who operates in the 'grey' world of dexter morgan. He is again pursuing dexter and this time around it gets very personal.

The relationship with the increasingly brilliant Julie Benz as Rita comes under pressure with the arrival of the sumptuous Brit Lila, who proves to be more trouble than she is worth.

Not to mention the introduction of Keith Carradine as Frank Lundy who is brought in by the FBI to investigate Dexter's murders and an interesting dynamic emerges as he grows close to Dexter's sister Debra (Jennifer Carpenter) who is also struggling after the affair with her ex-serial killer fiance - the ice truck killer.

More voice is given to Batista, Masuka and LaGuerta as all contribute brilliant individual performances to the show and way exceed their performances in season 1.

As a final point, the extras look better on paper as the interviews you see are very short and the cast interviews all took place at the foot of the season which means that they never talk about season 2 in the interviews they just speculate which is rather stupid as we have just watched season 2 and the cast are saying they don't know what's going to happen! The quiz is pretty cool but gets boring after you've done it once and the bllod slides don't show the whole murder they only show a short clip. I could probably go to the toilet in the time they gave to Jeff Lindsay's interview. Still a darn sight better than season 1 which had no extras apart from a commentary on 2 episodes. Saying that, season 2 has no commentaries whatsoever which is pretty poor considering the US aired it over a year ago.

This, however, cannot get in the way of what an amazing show this is so it still gets 5 stars from me.

This is a must buy for EVERYONE!

P.S. Please try and bring out season 3 in less than a year I mean it's already been shown in America. ITV probably have the rights I suppose.
on 8 March 2009
I'm loving the second series even more - the edge-of-the-seat situation with Dexter being hunted (by his own sister!); although I think Jaime Murray is rather 'wooden', her character has added an 'edgy' balance to the darker side, although I hope he gets back with Rita. The humour is great, especially Dexter's voiceover comments as he watches the manhunt closing in... will there be a 3rd series!? Michael C Hall is fantastic!
on 7 July 2009
The speed at which I got through Series Two is testament to how much I enjoyed it. I was so dissapointed to realise I was close to the end when I inserted the last disk. The pace of this series is considerably faster than series one I thought. Overall it was the right tempo, though a couple of the subplots felt rushed as they were crowbarred back to the main plot. I won't spoil the show by stating which.

Decter is different in Series Two also. In the first series much was made of his emotional detachment from "normality" and he was presented to us as something closer to machine than man. In series two this all changes as everything he ever believed in is threatened and emotions seem to control every action. The dichotomy between the character in series one and series two didn't gel for me. It was too much of a leap from the one to the other. That said, it stood well on its own and if you'd never seen series one I don't think you'd have thought anything was amiss.

The acting was great once again. Dexter is convincing as he struggles with the confusion of seeing his code undermined and the walls of his facade start to crumble. We see him run the full gammit; anger, fear, panic, calm, love (perhaps?).

The supporting cast is a joy. Back when The Wire was my show of the moment I'd rejoice everytime The Bunk was on screen and it's the same in Dexter whenever Doakes, Masuka or Batista joined the scene. Not to diminish the excellent performances from the remainder of the cast, but there three get to deliver all of the funniest lines, typically juxtapositioned perfectly into an otherwise tense scene.

Overall it was really enjoyable and I'll be pre-ordering series 3. Would have been 5 stars but some plot lines felt a bit rushed and the main character seemed inconsistent with the first series.
If you enjoyed the first series of `Dexter' then you are in for a real treat with the second. Following on from where the last series left off this still has Dexter killing off those murderers who have gotten away with their crimes, but where as in the first series the underlying story was the Ice Truck Killer, in this series it is the hunt for Dexter himself (dubbed the Bay Harbour Butcher) that keeps us engrossed and on the edge of our seats. There is so much tension from this story alone that after watching a couple of episodes you will want to keep watching and watching 'just one more episode' until you reach the end of the series. I could not stop watching this until I reached the shattering conclusion and this is as good as, if not better than, the first series. My reservations about the initial series, I.e. the poor acting from both the actors playing Deb and Doakes, is not an issue this time round and they both play their parts perfectly. My only gripe this time is the character called Lila, who's sounds like she has a terrible 'put on' British accent despite this being her actual accent, and it drives me mad whenever she is on the screen. There are so many twists and turns that you are kept guessing throughout about how various storylines will unfold and each plot avenue is eventually tied up expertly and leaves you satisfied. It is hard to mention each plot aspect without spoiling the ending, but believe me this is well worth watching if you are a fan of the first series and it will leave you desperately awaiting the third. There is a 5th disc of extras which include cast interviews, stills from the series, trivia, features on the title music, Harry's Code, Dexter's Knives and more besides. These really add to the overall package and give a deeper insight into the series. Overall this has more great acting, storylines and intrigue that the series' are becoming renowned for and makes for captivating and addictive viewing. Well worth checking out.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 18 May 2011
Season 2 keeps up the Soprano-style tension between your affection for this lovable serial killer and the nagging voice of your conscience telling you there's something wrong about rooting for a compulsive murderer. For girl-watchers, there are now three (count 'em!) skinny, sexy girls involved in the proceedings, establishing a clear trademark look for the series (newcomer Lila is a bit phony at the onset, but begins to make more sense as time goes by). The black humor remains at a constant high, with plot twists galore to keep you on the edge of your seat. Michael C. Hall's understated acting would be enough to carry the show, but I have to admit Erik King as his nemesis, Sgt. Doakes, is my favorite character (despite an illogical trip to Haiti, what were you thinking, man?!!!). Good show.
on 11 October 2008
wow! i thought season one was going to be hard to beat but i was so wrong!
if you liked season one then you will love season two. so many different things going on in this one.
dexter is struggeling with who he is and people are begining to notice his strangeness.
michael c hall is an amazing actor and seems to find this role so easy.
the plot in every episode springs something new and unexcepted on you every time, its a must for any fan to own the boxsets.
defently a 5 star you wont be dissapointed!
on 2 June 2009
Absolutely loved the first series. Series 2 however, takes a while to get going. I think I actually recall many episodes without Dexter ever killing the bad guy - not that this is the only reason I watch it! I think the reason that fans of the series love him is that he is the avenging hero, clearing up the trash when the system fails. This is a little more of him wriggling out of increasing tighter spots, looking into his raison d'etre including second thoughts about "the code of Harry" and developing a relationship, albeit a fairly perverse one, with brit chick Lila - complete nutter.

On the cusp of him being exposed and the plot becoming more and more far fetched, the series redeems itself with a rip-roaring finale. It made 4 or 5 mediocre mid-series episodes worth watching for the final pay off.

Hope you enjoy it.
on 29 September 2009
I hadn't seen Dexter up until recently, when I rented series 1 from Blockbuster. I watched the entire series in the space of 4 days, and immediately rented series 2 the day I took s1 one back. I have to agree with a lot of other reviews that series 2 is slightly better, if for no other reason than Lila, played by the perfectly suited and utterly beautiful Jaime Murray. 3 days after returning the DVD, I bought both series as I genuinely missed it.

Lately Dexter has even overtaken my Ashes to Ashes obsession, and trust me that takes some doing! This is a brilliantly produced drama, and actually lives up to it's hype - a rarity I find with American dramas. After reading the books I also think it's perfectly cast: reading the books you can easily visualise Jennifer Carpenter, Julie Benz and Michael C Hall.
on 26 November 2010
Great acting and production meaning, as in the first season, that I had a couple of late nights where I ended up watching three episodes on the trot as I had to see " what happened next". My only gripe, and it's a personal one, is that there is just something that grates in the way that the English are often represented in American series. All too often seem to sound like a throwback to the 60's to me.
Lots of menace, lots of people getting what they deserve, lots of great acting and lots of Michael C Hall serving up one of TVs greatest character. From the moment the camera pans back to reveal a sea of black sacks I was hooked. A quick thnks to my brother for recommending Dexter to me - I knew he'd do something right one day!
VINE VOICEon 8 January 2014
Like many people, when this show was recommended to me I tried not to smirk. The whole idea sounded kitsch at best, and time slot filler at worst. Oh how wrong I was. Other reviewers have done more justice to this `gem' of a programme, so please see them for a full synopsis. I have managed to see both season one and two and season 2 just goes from strength to strength. While some episodes seem to stretch the realms of the plausible - I have really enjoyed them as each story is `fresh' and entertaining, season 2 has good acting and great storytelling. My opinion, for what it is worth, if you cannot buy it, at least rent from Amazon, but definitely give them a try.