Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2011
Having seen Bellowhead on the Jools Holland show, I instantly liked them, but wasn't
sure about buying a complete album.I decided to take the safe option & bought the cheapest Amazon had on offer, which was Matachin at £3.99. I was pleasantly suprised
& from the very first track loved their unique "quirkiness". Their sound is what I
would call quintessentially "English" in the same tradition as the likes of Ray Davies, XTC & my favourite band of all time, Stackridge. (Jon Bodens vocals also remind me of Dave Cousins from that other great English band, The Strawbs) I would
certainly buy another album, what do people recommend?
on 11 February 2013
Bought this CD after watching Bellowhead perform Whiskey is the Life of Man on Jools Holland. This is definitely for me the stand out track on the album. It has now become acceptable to jig around the living with my 18 month old grandson chanting Whiskey-o Johnny-o.

The musical arrangements gel the chaos of music instruments which gives Bellowhead a unique and outstanding sound. A mixture of string, wind and brass compliments the musical mixture of serious and fun. From the madness of Kafoozalum to the serious haunting Bruton Town, the album contains no weak tracks and each track is completely different that the other.Would highly recommend for any music fan.
on 2 August 2011
We first heard this song on Tel. and enjoyed the tune, so we looked for the CD of the band. However, was a bit disappointed by the quality of the production. The sound wasn't great, but my kids love the songs! Especially the 'Whisky is the life man'! And now, every time daddy go out, they will asking him not to drink too much and be careful! Question him whether he has drink Whisky! haha! Good education for kids!
on 28 February 2013
My personal favourite of the band's offerings. A number of superb tracks. Marginally experimental but not unlistenable. The reggae funk of Kerfuzalum is irresistible and worth buying the album for alone. Cholera in Camp is utterly superb and phenomenal live. The band clearly love what they do and this slice of talent coupled with history is a must-buy.
on 18 March 2013
Thought I had all the Bellowhead albums until I realised I'd missed their second studio album, so listening to this on the back of their most recent album Broadside, I was a little disappointed on first hearing, but it has certainly grown on me.
on 27 August 2013
Bellowhead are great on album, but are probably the best live band touring at the moment.
Only buy this if you cannot get to see them.
Having seen them, you will buy this regardless of anything that I or others post
on 19 August 2011
Really like the styles of folk rock that Bellowhead have produced on this album. Appreciate the information given with the CD on the origins of each song. Another excellent mix of this music.
on 19 September 2011
Yay!! This is a classic Bellowhead album: foot stomping contemporary folk, but elegantly musical. A must buy in my opinion, but go check it out for yourself.
on 10 July 2015
This competes my collection of Bellowhead recordings - it's great.
Their live performance is even better - do see it before it's too late !!
on 6 December 2013
Ecllnt music, adds a new dimension to folk, equally bst live act I've seen in 30 odd years (other on was Slade in their pomp!)