on 9 April 2013
I read the bad reviews for this set, and note the points. My son wanted a set and bought this with his voucher, and I admit I was reticent.

The good news is he loves it, and so do I, I believe he has bought a great value chess set. It is just the right size - I wondered if 26cm was small, but it isn't - anything larger would be cumbersome.

It is well made - all the parts are joined well, with a nice finish.

To allow others to make their own minds up about all the reviews, I uploaded a few extra photos from my blurry mobile phone that may reinforce or disperse some of the opinions.

One last point, for anyone thinking of buying this as a gift, it comes in a pleasant box with a sealed cellophane wrapper around it.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 16 November 2011
After much research, we bought this as a present for our 10 year old daughter, who's just getting into chess and loves the game. Decided to go for a reasonably priced starter set, but didn't like the ones with a printed board. This standard set is excellent value for money and has a beautifully inlaid wooden board which folds to store all the pieces. Although the pieces are slightly crudly carved, overall this set is great value for the price and our daughter said it was beautiful.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 February 2012
I love this chess set - the fact that the pieces can be stored inside it when not in use, and it even has little elastic hoops to keep them in place. The set was really good value - it's well made, is nice and plain, and a great size. It looks like something our family will keep for ages. My six year old son is hooked!
on 25 December 2015
This is not a chess board

This product is called a chess board, but what one actually gets is a "lazy artists impression" of the chess board.

It is chequered alright, but this is where it ends.

The chess board row starts with the black on the left. Here you have white

Also, chess boards are supposed to be marked with letters horizontally and numbers vertically in a way that A1 is the bottom left corner and for the opponent it is still an A1. Not here. On this board A1 for one player is H8 of another and vice versa.

How can someone build something like this?
review image
on 7 September 2013
This product was really good. It came in the best condtion. It was for my daughter and she really liked it. Thank You !
on 28 June 2013
I bought this for my son's 6th birthday as he's been expressing an interest in learning how to play chess - anything to distract him away from electronic devices! As he's only six, I specifically looked for a chess board that folded and would store the pieces when not in use. This works wonders. It's a decent sized board for a beginner, and the quality is very good. Little elastic straps inside to keep all the pieces in place when it's packed up. I am really happy with the purchase - and my son has been playing with it every day since he got it a week ago!
on 15 November 2011
I wasn't sure which one of the various wooden chess sets to buy for my 5 year old's first chess set and after much indecision I decided to plump for this one. It arrived yesterday and is fantastic. Really well built, nicely finished and a good size.

What I was really pleased about is a surprise that wasn't made clear in the description, that you can store the pieces inside and each one has a small elastic strap to hold it in place.

Great product and great value for money.

Let's hope my son enjoys learning to play chess :-)
on 8 May 2013
I liked the fact that all the pieces are held securely when not in use, that it is easy to see if there is a piece missing.
on 30 December 2012
I bought this chess set for my nephew who is just learning to play. I also bought a book on how to play chess from Amazon. The set is good quality. The board folds up and has drawers to keep the chess pieces in. His uncle is a chess player and he was impressed with the quality of the board and chess pieces. Just the right size for a beginner.
on 7 October 2013
The chess set was bought as a gift. The recipient was over the moon with the quality of the pieces.