5.0 out of 5 stars The Walkmen do it again. Fantastic., 17 Sep 2008
Dominic Makin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
I've had this album only two days but it is very, very good . You can hear many subtle influences from Spagetti western , Niellson, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Velvet Underground, Mexican, Crooning and David Lynch type scores but this is pure Walkmen sound. The lyrics are intelligent and placed beautifully. The instruments are used sparingly and creatively - these guys can really play and don't need to show off - Hamilton's vocals have never been better....there are some real stand out tracks all ready for me that have given me goose bumps.... but some times the slow burners can surprise you.....Buy it ...get in your car, drive and become part of your own movie with Walkmen score. Amazing, brilliant, multi-layered genius .

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I have heard for a long time., 21 Feb 2009
Scott Mackie (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of the Walkmen since Bows and Arrows but I was very very happily surprised by this album. A Hundred Miles Off wasn't a bad album but it wasn't good enough. After I heard it I wondered where they would go next. When I heard You & Me I very quickly realised that this was not only the best Walkmen album, but one of my favorite albums of all time.
In the New Year and I Lost You are my personal favorites (the first of which struck a chord with me after my dad took ill at the start of this year) but there isn't really a bad song on it.
Its much more mature sounding than their previous work - and you can really tell they have gotten to grips with what they want their music to sound like. The Walkmen have the best drummer, the best guitarist and the best singer around just now in their band which just gives the songs an amazing feel.
Another point to note is that the songs from this album have to be heard live. The band (especially Hamilton) really give it everything they've got.
In conclusion, this is the best album I've heard for a long time, and the Walkmen backed it up with the best live performance I have ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars You and Me Both, 14 Oct 2008
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
I can't really put it better than Betty Clarke's five star review from The Guardian. That a fourth album can be this good is astounding in these times of diminishing returns. Hamilton's vocals have never sounded better drenched as they are by the rest of the band's splashy and reverbed guitars and skittering drums and bass. Slower and more sure footed than previous efforts this moody magnificence continually made the hairs on the back my neck stand to attention. Scarily good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - if you like this sort of thing, 6 Jan 2009
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
Although not particularly well known in the UK, The Walkmen are an indie five-piece from New York and have a cult following in the US, this being their fifth studio album release (and their fourth of original material - their last recording was their 2006 version of the entire John Lennon-produced Harry Nilsson 'Pussy Cats' album). They have a fairly unique sound, coming across as the unlikely combination of the vocal styles of Bob Dylan, only much more tentative and uncertain in tone, and the steely, treble-high guitars of The Fall, but with a grander, more eclectic, visionary sound, often drenched in reverb. I can tell from the uncompromising style of this recording that they are a divisive band - quite frankly, you're probably going to either love or loathe this. The music on this album will grab and fascinate you or you won't be able to get it off the stereo quick enough. You can probably tell by the tone of this review that I'm of the former opinion.

My favourite tracks are the beautiful, horn-embossed 'Red Moon', the atmospheric 'On The Water' and 'Canadian Girl', which features some heavenly guitar work, the sound of which is as distorted and flawed as the emotions on display here. Perhaps my favourite composition on this album is 'In The New Year', all passion, high-emotions and declarations of love, decorated by gently chiming, flowing guitar patterns, drums which pound like a heart racing with love and a beautiful church organ sound providing some delicate depth to the sound - I really get lost in that song. Although those are my personal picks, there is nothing on this album I don't like. Even the lesser tracks are, at least, interesting.

If you're a fan of early Echo & The Bunnymen, Arcade Fire and other leftfield indie bands then you could - and probably will - get a great deal of enjoyment from 'You & Me', but if you prefer your music a little more mainstream then you'd probably be best served passing this one by. Still, for those who appreciate music with a little more depth, who aren't easily turned off by bands who do things just a tad differently, this album is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year 2008, 21 Dec 2008
D. M. Bell - See all my reviews
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
It was a close-run thing between this and the Felice Brothers. This gets it by a whisker. What a great album.

4.0 out of 5 stars angst and catharsis, 22 Mar 2010
M. Senno (roma italia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
a consistent group's most recent cd, chiming ringing forces - they know how to pull one's heart strings!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not pop, 24 Feb 2009
Pagal (Cambs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
Clever and engaging throughout. Probably like many, came to the The Walkmen with The Rat (Bows and Arrows), and bought You and Me on the back of it. It's dark and a little disturbing for those with weak constitutions but always accomplished.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Don't worry about me, I got no more baggage, threw all my old things away', 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: You & Me (Audio CD)
I love that feeling you get when music slowly unveils its charms and wins you over completely. This happened to me with The Walkmen and their album 'You & I'. The lead singer's passionate delivery and soaring voice is utterly convincing and the lyrics are punchy and concrete, abstract and literary. 'In the New Year' is a contender for my all-time favourite song, it's festive thrum and belting refrain makes my heart feel like it's leaping from its cavity, and 'I Lost You' is so direct in its searing emotion that it transcends sentimentality and becomes something genuinely moving. The instrumentation is considered and brass flourishes occasionally leap through the beautiful malaise. Such a memorable and gorgeous set of songs that I'm certain I will keep returning to throughout the coming years.

You & Me
You & Me by The Walkmen (Audio CD - 2008)