Published on 26 Jan 2012 by Keith_Joseph

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more than a glorified extension cable.
I regret buying it to be honest, not because it doesn't do what it's supposed to nor because it has developed a defect (it hasn't). The price is just way too high for what the product actually is.
Published 12 months ago by N. Ioannides

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems well made, genuine, and better than my cheap generic versions, 26 Jan 2012
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shure EAC3BK Earphone Extension Cable (36 inch/91cm) - Black (Electronics)
I have had trouble with cheap generic cables that offer poor audio/video quality and low reliability - they often don't even work properly from new. So I now generally go for well known branded cables from the likes of Belkin, QED, Grado and now Shure (albeit their cheapest offerings rather than premium range). These often don't cost that much more either. I wanted an extension lead for my gaming PC's Creative X-Fi card and for occasional use with my iPod Classic or TV, so I ordered this Shure extension lead from Hand Held Audio Ltd for around a tenner (its Shure recommended retail price, product EAC3BK), and it arrived promptly. I am a bit wary of ordering branded small headphones and cables via Amazon resellers and prefer direct from Amazon, as pirate copies are often worse than cheap generic versions, but this definitely looks and feels like the genuine Shure article. It came in a double sealed plastic bag affair with a Shure label on it rather than a massive blister pack.

It's a standard fairly short 3.5mm mini-jack headphone extension cable, 3 feet (91cm) long as described, obviously with foil like stray field shielding around the cables, as you can feel it when straightening the cable, so the cable is slightly rigid in use rather than thin and super floppy - so I doubt the cable likes being wound up/folded and seems to prefer lying flat, so personally I wouldn't use these extention leads for regular commuting (I use iPod headphones with long leads). The plug/socket seems well manufactured and usefully quite tiddly (some headphone plug/sockets on cables can be very out-sized, looking awfull). Being very black, the cable/plugs look better with black accessories, although my white iPod is in a very dark blue case anyway. There is an alternative 91cm grey version [EAC3GR]. The socket connection is quite stiff, so the headphone plug goes in very positively.

There seems to be no adverse effect on sound quality when using the lead, which I have noticed when using some extension cables or in-cable remotes [with cable thickness and gold plating on plugs not being any indicator of actual signal quality]. The Shure plug/socket is a standard three contact stereo audio one and so it doesn't work with an in-cable iPod remote/microphone placed upstream, as that needs four contacts. But otherwise this Shure extension cable seems a good product with quality construction and decent audio properties, and worth the premium. So 5* at the price I paid. I've had one of these cables in regular use for a few years now, and so far no problems - but then I always look after my cables very carefully, keeping them in loose zipped cases and not wrapping them tightly round things etc. I've now bought a second Shure cable from resellers 'Advanced MP3 Players' to use as an extention lead on a PC microphone. My Shure leads mostly both sit flat on the desktop undisturbed, so I can't comment on their survival for daily commuting and constant bending.

I also use the superb Grado headphone extention lead, but that is 15 feet long with very heavy and thick cable and uses the 6.3mm jack (for HiFi headphones) rather than a PC/iPods 3.5mm standard headphone plug, i.e.:Grado 450cm Extension Cable with Grado Adaptor Cable 6.3mm to 3.5mm (15cm Length). This 15 foot Grado extention cable is perfect for use with HiFi stereo amplifiers and expensive Grado type audiophile headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but..., 11 April 2014
This product is a bit expensive, but for me it's worth it, because it is a official Shure product. I've bought two of these, and they've never let me down. The only negative: the internal wiring does get twisted inside the outer protective layer, but does not affect performance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slightly smaller plug!, 20 Nov 2013
This has proved troublesome as the plug end appears to be ever so slightly smaller than it should, meaning my ipod frequently thinks the cable has been removed and pauses playback! Incredibly frustrating! I have since found the original lead which does not have the same issues, so clearly the issue was limited to this replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Shure thing?, 4 Oct 2013
The sound quality is excellent. It only gets a 4 star rating and not a 5 because:
A) The cable diameter and lack of real flexibility sometimes make it a pain. It has to be 'managed' constantly.
B) The original cable failed at the male end, hence this purchase. It wasn't old and had not been abused or mistreated. I'll be interested to see how long this one lasts. At nearly 16 a pop they're not cheap to replace

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more than a glorified extension cable., 29 July 2013
N. Ioannides "inectarios" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the extra money, 3 Feb 2012
I've tried other cheaper cords but this one is much better quality and is worth the extra money I paid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't last very long, 11 Oct 2012
D. J. Harkness "DJH942" (London) - See all my reviews
The seller, Juno, delivered item very speedily...but the item just isn't up to scratch.

Whilst Shure gives great sound quality, their cables aren't built to last. My latest cable managed less than one month before giving up.

Do yourself a favour and buy Grado.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great over the long term, 11 April 2012
I've had my Shure headphones for over a year and am now about to order my third Shure Extension Cable.

Each cable only lasts for around three months (used twice daily during train commute to/from work) before I start to intermittently loose sound in one or both of the earphones. Fiddling with the connection/pulling jack in and out/rotating jack does help a bit but it's very frustrating.

At 12 at time this is a costly regular replacement and for that reason I won't be purchasing any more Shure equipment once the headphones themselves needs replacing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it supposed to., 1 July 2012
Like the buds I have no complaints. Bought this as a replacement fro my well used and frayed original cable.