Price:£6.99+ Free shipping

on 11 November 2008
We got this for our son a couple of weeks ago for his 7th birthday.

The console bleeps at you when a beast is near then you have to swing the console around to find the beast and then reel it in with the little fishing reel on the side.

There are apparently 105 different beasts. They are divided into different levels of difficulty to catch, so you start with the easy ones. Once you have caught something you can either keep it (up to 3 at a time) and train it, or exchange it for a lure or sell it for gold. Some beasts only come out at certain times of day. Other beasts require you to have a certain lure in your arsenal from previous catches or you need a trained beast to help you to fight the beast and tire it out so you can catch it.

To find out more about it I recommend you visit the website (google it, it's a .eu address) where you can see more about how you catch things and what sort of beasts there are. Having said which it sounds terribly complicated when you find out all the different layers of things you can do with it, but you can still get started without loads of that knowledge. My son got going with about 5 minutes of us reading the instructions with him and in the way of kids, then went on to work out loads of the other things as he went along.

What I do like about it is that it requires some perseverance to collect different lures and enough gold to get a better beast radar, and that it can require quite a lot of strategic thinking to plan how to get the more difficult beasts. There is a lot of remembering of statistics and abilities like in something like Pokemon or Top Trumps,my son has started writing down all the stats for the beasts he has caught. The difference with this compared to something like Pokemon is that you only have to buy the console once, and then the beasts come free after that, you don't have to keep shelling out to increase your collection. Although I understand that if a friend has a blue one and you have a red one you can get the maximum number of lures and beasts.

My only irritation with it has been that some of the instructions require the screen to be slid shut while doing them, but there is no backlight and it is quite hard to read without the screen slid up. I have emailed the manufacturer about it and they have said that they have passed it on to the R&D team so that's fair enough.

Overall this is a more complex and better long term buy than I was expecting it to be. It's very new, so i dont know how long I will feel this way about it! but I'm quite pleased so far. Perhaps most importantly (!) my son took it in to show and tell and came out of school with a trail of admirers from his class, so I am definitely in the good books for this purchase!
on 7 February 2009
well im not an expert on this you sorta reel in beasts and train them and battle them.Which confuses me however my 9 year old loves this product and it was all he played with for days upon end. It does make a bit of noise all bleeps and jingles but not too bad. The delight on his face every time he caught something and the discussions we had about it were great you can connect the 2 sorts (red and blue) and play together which is fun .Def a worthwile toy.
on 30 January 2009
There was no instructions on package, so Son had to work out how to play himself.
on 13 November 2014
I purchased this a couple of years ago when it came out i absolutely loved it then i dont know what happened to. Two days ago i remembered about it and how fun it was so i wanted to get one but i couldnt remember the name of it. After hour of looking i finally found it i definetely recommend this.
on 14 February 2011
This is a great toy for such a low price. Best to have the blue one too, or another red, but fun nonetheless. Like a GPS for imaginary monsters. Because of the nature of the display and the menu system when in "mobile phone mode" it'll be better for the summer out in the park. I'll have collected lots of good monsters by then I expect and me and my son can battle and swap them.

Notes on the display, it's a see through LCD panel, low resolution with some menu options on the bottom. In mobile phone mode there's a background to it, when you are catching a beast you look through the see through panel on the real world - so that the monsters are superimposed on to the real world. This effect is not really meant to be convincing, but is enough to feel that there's something really there you are trying to catch (given an active enough imagination).
on 4 February 2016
Expected better , not too exciting . I bought it to give away as present . It looked as most ' made in china ' , do .
Packing and postage pretty impressive .
on 1 August 2010
Difficult toy to play in my opinion so it has sat in a drawer from Christmas.
on 22 December 2014
great goods and service
on 4 February 2009
Bought as a christmas present. I got this on special offer & thought i was getting a bargain little did i know you need to but the blue one as well to play with it, if i had known that i would have never bought it! looks like it will break easily too. I will but the blue one at easter but i doubt it will last long. As i said wish I'd never bought it!
on 6 May 2015