Format: DVD|Change

on 30 April 2009
I have just added series 13 & 14 to my Last Of The Summer Wine collection & again more excellent comedy from Roy Clarke.
Whilst I have other series of Roy's, Open All Hours & Growing Pains of PC Penrose, LOTSW is my favorite & leaves no doubt in my mind as to why it is the longest running British TV comedy programme.
I have no favorite episode. They are all excellent comedy with a cast to match. From Cleggy, with Peter Sallis's voice as a reminder of Wallace in Wallace & Grommit to the late Bill Owen's role as the lovable Compo. Bill stands out in this role, from his continual obsession with Nora Batty's wrinkled stockings to an excellent performance in the episode The Last Surviving Maurice Chevalier Impression, complete with his lucky ferret concealed (for a short time) in his trousers. This episode also has a guest appearance by Gordon Kaye of Allo Allo fame.
The late Brian Wilde, who we remember as a wonderful Mr Barrowclough alongside Ronnie Barker in Porridge portrays Foggy, the self appointed leader of this infamous trio. After all, he is suitably qualified, being a "former corporal sign writer".
Series 13 also sees the reappearance of Smiler, Inspector "Blakey" from On The Buses. Smiler becomes Nora Batty's lodger, much to the dislike of Compo & with a never before seen side of Compo, jealousy.
All our old favorite clips are there too; the Howard/Pearl/Marina saga & Dame Thora Hird as Edie with her never-ending passion for keeping both house & husband Wesley clean.
Greg Priest
Newcastle
Australia
on 18 December 2008
The return of Foggy is very welcome, even though Seymour was a good temporary replacement to the main trio of Summer Wine characters. During the 90's the direction of the show changed and there was less emphasis on the antics of the main trio of characters, Foggy, Compo and Clegg. Given the actors were increasingly elderly and the work had to be shared among a larger ensemble this was inevitable but did diminish the quality of the programme in my view. I think the quality of the programme had in fact peaked with the 1983 'Getting Sam Home' Christmas special. One of the funniest comedies EVER. Increasingly the series box sets are for completists only. The following season's 'The Most Powerful Eyeballs in West Yorkshire' is also one of my favourites. And look forward to this one being released.
These box sets are EXCELLENT and the kerfuffle over series numbering should not detract people from considering acquiring them. Some of the reviewers sound like Last of the Summer Wine characters themselves ahah!
Finally, I'd like to pay a tribute to Kathy Staff who died at weekend, forever the formidable Norah and much deserving of every fans fond remembrances and tributes. Watching the next set of episodes will be a poignant reminder of the good characters, actors and actresses we've lost including Brian Wilde, Bill Owen and Joe Gladwin too.
on 7 September 2008
I agree with one of the other reviewers . Seymour left the show in the same episode that Foggy returned . It was the first and only time that two number three men were in the same show, although they never met . This is not as disturbing as the fact that some seem to think that because of the numbering of the sets , some episodes have been left out . We all want ALL of these shows. We who collect them not only want all of them , but I for one actually love this show and would feel very badly if I knew there was even one which I didn't have . As it is the Pilot was not included in the Series 1-2 and I am sorry for this . Thank goodness for a friend and UK Gold who allowed me to see it, but this is not like owning it and all of the others . I suppose we will have , at least , some of the answers to our questions when we get Series 11-12 to be dispatched on September 22nd and see which episodes are actually included in it . Many have speculated as to what they will be, but as in other Sets we will just have to wait and see to be sure .
1111 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2008
Last of the summer wine is one of the best programs that the BBC ever made & I have been collecting this DVD set from the start, I myself come from Yorkshire but at one point I was living in Cardiff & after watching this program I started to miss my home town of Doncaster & moved back, looking back over the years there has been a great affection for this program by the public & even to this day when we sit there watching the programs on DVD there still as funny as ever I stopped watching the last of the summer wine when Bill Owing passed away as to me the program was never the same without him & his wellingtons, the greatest shame is that he never got the chance to give it a go with Nora Batty but it was fun seeing him lusting after her stockings, a lot of great actors have been in the Last of the Summer Wine the only thing is can they bring out the box sets faster than this
on 4 September 2008
YES FOGGY IS BACK IN SEASON 12&13 BUT Seymour Utterthwaite is only in one Episode Return of the Warrior when Seymour Utterthwaite leaves foggy comes back in last of the summer wine foggy should be on the front of the cover not Seymour Utterthwaite here is the Episodes Foggy is in

Season 12

Season 13, Episode 1: Quick, Quick, Slow
Original Air Date: 18 October 1991

Season 13, Episode 2: Give Us a Lift
Original Air Date: 25 October 1991

Season 13, Episode 3: Was That Nora Batty Singing?
Original Air Date: 1 November 1991

Season 13, Episode 6: Pole Star
Original Air Date: 29 November 1991

Season 13, Episode 7: Situations Vacant
Original Air Date: 22 December 1991
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2008
This is a complete revision of my earlier review.

A number of other online retailers have published a synopsis of the content of this DVD on their websites. Why they cannot simply include a list of episodes as they used to do is beyond me. It does make me feel we are asked to buy a pig in a poke.

Anyway, this synopsis (which is common to a number of sites) confirms that the content is what all authoritative sources would define as Series #12 (starting with "Return of the Warrior", Foggy's return) and Series #13.

Looking at the other reviews, this means Mr S Galbraith has got it right (with two possible minor exceptions) and that Mr Terry D Jarvis is out by a series (quoting as he does Series #13 and Series #14).

Where Mr Galbraith is not supported by the synopsis is with :

Season 12, Episode 11: Barry's Christmas
Original Air Date: 27 December 1990

Season 13, Episode 7: Situations Vacant
Original Air Date: 22 December 1991

Neither of these are part of either series but are 1990 and 1991 Christmas Specials. They might be included but they are not mentioned in the synopsis. There is just room for them. Series #12 had ten episodes, Series #13 had six. With the two Christmas Specials that makes eighteen total which is just right for a three disk set.
on 18 November 2008
The series numbers on dvd will be different as from a certain series, when shown in america it was split in half. it went from 12 to 6 episodes. so it meant the numbering of the series for the dvds has followed how they did it. meaning they do not run the same way as they would have done. so 13 and 14 would be from seires 12 and 13 in england while in america it is 13 and 14. so there is only one missing the pilot.
on 17 February 2016
What can I say about this series I have watched it since it`s introduction to the screens in the early 1970s the amount of comic talent that has taken part is incredible right up to the end of series 31. Unlimited class Peter Sallis is unbelievable for a 95 year old i have a lot of his early films and he is a class act here`s hoping he gets his telegram from the queen and a knighthood would not be undeserved
After Brian Wilde left the cast, we had four series with Michael Aldridge (Seymour Utterthwaite) who proved to be just as big a fool as Foggy but here is Foggy back again, as daft as ever.

The success of this sitcom is due mainly to the writer Roy Clarke ,who manages to think up new adventures for the three stars and the supporting cast. Thanks also are due to Ronnie Hazelhurst who wrote not just the signature tune but all the incidental music which never fails to fit the bill.

Like good wine, this sitcom has improved with age. In the early episodes, Bill Owen tended to shout too much but he mellowed with age. Peter Sallis is the ideal foil, always reluctant to get involved in the madcap schemes,

I shall look forward eagerly to the DVD of the next two series. Bring it on!
55 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2013
I didn't watch this series when it was first aired because my dad liked it! but I saw a couple of episodes on Freeview and it's quite a good chill out. It's a well-written, pleasurable watch that has some characters you might recognise from your own experience. It also has some occasional laugh out loud moments that are fun to rewind.