Format: DVD|Change

on 18 March 2009
An interesting attempt to plot the early life of The Scorpion King. In some ways it succeeds but in others it fails. Having watched The Mummy Returns (the first time The Scorpion King appears) and then The Scorpion King which was, itself, a prequel to the events of The Mummy Returns I guess the idea of traveling further back in his life was a natural step for this film. The cast are relative unknowns, although I guess the same could be said of The Rock as an actor prior to the two films already mentioned. As a swords and sorcery tale it worked pretty well but I wasn't as convinced by the lead as I had been by The Rock, who made the role so much more believable. Karen David as the companion was, I felt, stronger in her convictions and carried her part well. The action wasn't quite as "thrilling" as the DVD case lead you to believe (nor was Karen David quite as voluptuous!) but on the whole I enjoyed the film. I had intended to buy it earlier but it was wise to wait for the price to drop as I would not have been quite so happy had I paid more than I did for it. Had Stephen Sommers been involved perhaps it would have made it stronger but sadly he wasn't and the film misses his input.
on 30 December 2008
After seeing some heavy horror movies of late, I picked this movie up for a calm night. I had seen the Scorpion King way long ago and it was totally rubbish, why have that movie to link with the brilliant Mummy movies? The second one is the worst I have seen for a while, it's a pequel to the first and never had seen so many people from different places in this film. The acting is poor, the story is so dire that my sister went to sleep half way through! The special effects are terrible, if they made it any more fake I would be rolling on the floor laughing. If you liked the first one, be warned. It's not a follow-on of the first one, you see unknown actors trying to either frown or have very silly accents. Many would probably disagree with my review but some would feel the same way. Dire film, don't waste your money for it.
on 6 May 2012
Russell Mulcahey's character spends time on a quest and returns in time to save his country. This is very much in the spirit of the first Scorpion King movie, it is a prequel to the first story and is really no less thrilling, so if you like action and thrills this may be for you. With this kind of film you get the feeling there's nothing harmful in it, nothing certainly that is offensively violent or erotic so if the protagonists endure taunts from the villain the story itself is a million miles away from reality and that's just how entertainment should be. Equally obvious is the lack of any feeling of high art or of social commentary coming out as a result of the story but that's what you go for isn't it. Overall I see no reason why this or the first movie should not receive really good reviews based on their power to entertain and enthral.
on 26 October 2008
I'm going to make this quick. I've seen this movie already. As a fan of the Mummy franchise, and the subsequent Scorpion King movie, I thought this would be good. It's not. It's actually a prequel to the Scorpion King, purporting to show how he came to be that character. It is possibly the dullest movie I've seen in years. Seriously, do not spend any more than a pound on this in your nearest bargain bin store. The producers of this should be ashamed of this abysmal effort.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2009
As action films goes this is okay. Did not enjoy as much as the first Scorpion King but, having said that, the first film had a really good story line and the leading man was the 'Rock'. The follow up does not seem to have the quality of the first and the story line is not as captivating but, I would veiw it again. On the whole I do recommend this dvd to all who enjoy fantasy action. Yes' its worth buying.
on 17 February 2013
Again, edge-of-the-seat viewing material and very satisfying when goodness reigns. Well worth adding to an ever-growing collection of such movies.
on 18 May 2014
Great Movie for the adventures kind. Unfortunally never received but saw it on tv and it was fantastic especially the sword fight
on 14 December 2012
14/12/2012 Not bad but I have seen batter one tham this I thik of this film.
I dont no what to say ! This film was average but following from the original it had a lot of ground to keep up with no major actors and rocks replacment randy coulture dont get me wrong he did ok but this film is really hit or miss if you have watched all 3 mummys and the scorpion king then you should consider watching this rent or buy but overall pretty average 5/10.
on 25 December 2012
Having read the write up I was unsure as to whether this would be a reasonable film but took an chance and was not dissapointed. I watched it with the kids prior to watching the Scorpion King and they complemented each other without detracting. The kids loved it and I was reasonably impressed given the lack of famous names. Action and adventure matched each other
on 26 December 2012
great good 2nd addition must see ... .... ... ... .. . .. . ... ... ... .. .. .... .. .. ..