4.0 out of 5 stars a note of caution on the remastering, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Samtliche Grossen Werke F (Audio CD)
I've got all bar one disc of this set in the original separate cd issues which I love. I bought this budget set on the German Decca Eloquence label because I saw that it was remastered and cheap - and might allow me to slim down some of my collection. However, a note of caution, the remastering is done using a technique called AMSI (Ambient Surround Imaging) which has created a slightly more resonant acoustic. However, over sustained listening, I prefer the original damper sound for these recordings as, to my ear, this brings greater focus to the various voices within the counterpoint, with no unintentional blurring of edges. Don't get me wrong, the set is still very nice and a steal at the price - but I prefer the original mastering. Others may prefer this edition, it's a matter of personal preference.

There is no documentation in this edition other than track listings - and these are all in German - but this is, after all, a German edition and very inexpensive.

N.B. The original (more expensive) box set listed on this site as Bach: Solo Keyboard Works (ASIN: B00000IP73) uses the original mastering.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a buy!, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Samtliche Grossen Werke F (Audio CD)
Brilliant buy at an amazing price. I was apprehensive about this product having read other reviews speaking of the unusual mastering but I noticed nothing unusual about the sound of the music which is, as you would expect with Schiff and Decca records, very clear yet with a certain degree of atmosphere. The recordings are not his most recent, with them being from the late 80s and the 90s but they are nevertheless timeless recordings. The same recordings can be found on Grooveshark, I believe. Any fan of Bach should not hesitate to buy this great selection of music.

Samtliche Grossen Werke F
Samtliche Grossen Werke F by J.S. Bach (Audio CD)