1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars a note of caution on the remastering, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Samtliche Grossen Werke F (Audio CD)
I've got all bar one disc of this set in the original separate cd issues which I love. I bought this budget set on the German Decca Eloquence label because I saw that it was remastered and cheap - and might allow me to slim down some of my collection. However, a note of caution, the remastering is done using a technique called AMSI (Ambient Surround Imaging) which has created a slightly more resonant acoustic. However, over sustained listening, I prefer the original damper sound for these recordings as, to my ear, this brings greater focus to the various voices within the counterpoint, with no unintentional blurring of edges. Don't get me wrong, the set is still very nice and a steal at the price - but I prefer the original mastering. Others may prefer this edition, it's a matter of personal preference.

There is no documentation in this edition other than track listings - and these are all in German - but this is, after all, a German edition and very inexpensive.

N.B. The original (more expensive) box set listed on this site as Bach: Solo Keyboard Works (ASIN: B00000IP73) uses the original mastering.

Samtliche Grossen Werke F
Samtliche Grossen Werke F by J.S. Bach (Audio CD)