4.0 out of 5 stars Authenticity..who really gives a ****
Published on 30 July 2009 by Nugent_Dirt

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a big step backwards!
Seasick Steve is a fantastic bluesman, I'm a huge fan, and I listen to Doghouse Music constantly, but I'm really sorry to say that this album just doesn't quite do it for me.

Published on 25 Oct 2008 by Mr. Dominic L. Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Authenticity..who really gives a ****, 30 July 2009
The negative reviewers here knock SS because he doesnt happen to be a. black b. dead or c. at least 80. However, being an ex hobo who rode the freighttrains probably lends him more blues authenticity than most not that he's ever said he's a bluesman as he calls his stuff 'doghouse' music. Other than saying such and such is not your bag there's no point having a pop at acts that dont make out they're anything other than entertainers. Anyway, I first saw SS at Glasto a few years back and frankly he was a refreshing change from all the indie poseurs on the Pyramid stage etc. This album's raw and rootsy lack of pretentiousness also makes a nice change from the glossy overproduction of most rock and pop that swamps the world. So, maybe he wont be hailed as another Robert Johnson whatever. Just take it all at face value, enjoy it and dont listen to all those purist snobs who drearily bore us on and on about authenticity, 'real' music blah blah

5.0 out of 5 stars Big label, but still the same old Steve, 3 Oct 2008
jimweibo (Niagara-on-the Lake, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is Seasick Steve's first release on a major label, Warner Brothers, to which he has moved from his previous home at Bronzerat. The album shows one or two signs of this change. Most obviously, the sound is a bit less raw than it was on Dog House Blues. Be reassured though: everything that makes Steve special is still here.

The album includes the usual blues stomps, played on a variety of (largely ratty) guitars. Steve attacks these vigorously, with his guitar playing sounding haphazard and note-perfect at the same time. There are also a couple of ballads, including the truly delightful "Walking man", with Steve's voice at its gentlest and mellowest. There are even a couple of pretty good covers, including the old Box Tops hit The Letter and the blues standard Rolling and Tumbling.

There are a few guest musicians on the album: Nick Cave's Grinderman on one track, and a couple of girl singers on another. I don't think Steve needs the help, and I'd be worried if he continued down that track. Still, this is a feelgood album by a real musician. Buy it, and if you possibly can, go see him in concert!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a big step backwards!, 25 Oct 2008
Mr. Dominic L. Brown (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Doghouse Music is a superb album - simple, straightforward, totally un-produced and packed with real feeling and passion. Thats what Seasick Steve means to me - his views and experiences of a different world, (one I hope I'll never know) are powerful and honest, and he can really play that guitar too.

It was obvious that this album would be more commercial, more produced, because Steve is now a massive worldwide phenomenon (rightly so) and so there is alot more at stake. There are some great tracks on this record, and Steve does his best to shine through, but the band are wrong for him, the arrangements are wrong for him, and the mix is wrong for him too! If you listen really carefully, you can hear the fantastic rolling rhythms of doghouse music in the guitar riffs, but almost every song is drenched in bass and drums, and it is they who set the rhythm, NOT Steve! At times you have to strain to hear his guitar at all, due to the terrible mix, and even the vocals are too quiet on several numbers.

For me the problem is that this is just a blues record with Seasick Steve in the band. If you took him away, all you would have is a bunch of session players jamming the blues, and since he's drowning in the mix half the time, thats all you have got on some of the tracks. No band can ever accompany Steve as well as he can accompany himself, and with such a polished, managed sound it ends up sounding rather clinical. A waste of a unique talent!

On the other hand, Steve seems happy with it, so good luck to him...but it just isn't anything like what I was hoping for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but a big step backwards!, 29 Oct 2008
Mr. Dominic L. Brown (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ALBUM,but the bonus disc is a waste almost !, 6 Oct 2008
P. Clack "pete" (WITNEY, OXFORDSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Seasick Steve is a one off,a throw back to the great Mississippi hillblues.This album his third and the first on a big label,I expected a commercial overload,but no.Sure he's got Grinderman,Nick Cave and a track with K.T.Tunstall(which is an absolute treat),but its still SSS doing his thing and doing it his way,so this is an album of pure delight,from a very Eric Bibb type song in Walkin' Man to the cracking track with Grinderman(Just like a king) to some classic blues as well as his chat and stories for good measure.All in all another slice of musical magic from the man.The bonus disc has a couple of pretty good songs and a whole lot of filler,Train is recorded on a train but SSS voice is almost impossible to hear,the track recorded in a diner well is a waste of time,as is the one called Lunch.Surely Warner could have done better than this as a bonus disc ,some live material would have been great,but this is so disappointing for the extra cost,or was the extra for the pull out packaging,very nice but again not worth the effort.So in all a fabulous main album but a wasted bonus disc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 20 Mar 2009
mikep (Yorkshire,England) - See all my reviews
I bought this CD having just watched the Reading set on TV. I think that the CD is too contained and does not have the drive that he seems to deliver on stage. The last track should not have got onto the CD - a long winded spoken story about nothing much at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great main CD but poor bonus content, 8 Oct 2008
The Fault - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is my first forray into blues but I must say I'm liking the cutaway sound of Seasick Steve. The problem I have with this album stems purely from the bonus disc, which is a complete waste - how Warner could warrant such an extortionate price is beyond me. The bonus disc consists of 3 completely pointless filler tracks containing mostly non-descript background noise with some spoken audio. There are only 2 songs on the CD which I don't think come close to matching those of the main CD. The packaging has a foldout section of a train travelling along a cityscape, which cleverly forms a picture when folded down or out. This is a novelty but again not worth the extra money - and where is the booklet???? There are also 3 extra tacks on the main CD not found on the standard version, of which I particularly like Levy Camp Blues. But again, not worth such a hike in price. Perhaps the minimalist packaging and bonus content fit with the style of music on offer here but I can't but help to feel short changed. If I'd known all this before purchasing I would have been persuaded to get the standard version of the album instead.... isn't hindsight such a bittersweet thing. Very good main CD though, just loving Walkin Man in particular. But I can't hide my discontent at the bonus content and extortionate rise in price.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good album, but a step backwards in my opinion, 29 Oct 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes..., 29 Oct 2010
Adam Dawson - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Started Out With Nothin And I Still Got Most Of It Left [Jewel Case] (Audio CD)
If, like me, you think that The Apprentice, X-Factor etc. etc. is poison for the brains of the criminally insane then I can recommend this as a ray of hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gravel and Granite, 8 May 2009
A unique character with a voice that echoes a life lived. Steve's take on life and travels shine through the basic but enjoyable guitar. It's the music you switch on when it's that time of the day, when you just want to put yourself in a different place. He's wild and rabid at times - with a hint of wild rockin' but capable of shifting direction into a moving lullaby. Everyone should have at least one Seasick Steve album.

ARRAY(0xb2dc88dc)