on 12 July 2009
A superb Trackball to use: very smooth and precise. The included software allows many programming options making this a first class item. Just be advised of the physical size of the unit if you are really short of space: it is 16.5cm long and 8.5cm wide. The ball is easily removeable for cleaning etc.
0Comment34 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2009
There are FOUR reasons why the Marble Mouse kicks the standard mouse into the bin. First, when you need to make fine and accurate movements (like when using a pen) you need to use your fingers - the standard mouse forces us to use the wrist (one of the causes of RSI), or even your arm. With the Marble you can use fingers for fine movement and you can also flick and whizz the ball for those long cursor movements. Second, while the standard mouse needs a mouse pad or a desk area in which to move, the Marble Mouse does not move - find a comfortable location for it (left or right side) and leave it there. Third, the Marble, unlike the standard mouse, does not wear out and can be cleaned easily. To clean it just pull the marble out, wipe the three marble points, put the marble back and your done. I have had my Marble Mouse for six years and it is still works like new! Fourth, when you click with a standard mouse you need to use fully extended middle fingers, whereas with the Marble you use curved fourth finger and thumb - this is important because according to the lever principle it puts less strain on the tendons and muscles. All of these may seem minor points but when you are making 100s of mouse movements a day it affects your hand and wrist. Do you have a niggling ache in your wrist (?) - its probably due to the standard mouse. The only slight downside to the Marble is that it will take you a few days to get used to it. But once you get the hang of it, the standard mouse will get the boot! Happy Marble Mousing.
55 comments80 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2013
I bought this to combat severe RSI caused by use of a conventional mouse. Takes a little getting used to, but works very well. Can support wrist the whole time as no movement of Marble Mouse is required & it doesn't give you RSI. Program the right small button for auto-scroll & this gives a "scroll-wheel" function. With back button function on the small left button, you have similar control abilities as most conventional mice. Much better than a standard mouse for prolonged use. Recommended..
on 17 August 2009
I've been using a Logitech Marble Mouse at home and work for many years now - so long that they're both becoming yellowed, but they still work a treat. They're ideal for RSI sufferers such as myself, and I always take great pleasure in watching other trying to use them as if they were normal mice by moving them around on the mouse mat! In conjunction with a good mouse mat with wrist rest, I'd highly recommend this product.
on 16 May 2010
I won't try and sell you the idea of switching from a mouse to a trackerball, it's very much a personal choice. If you're reading this you want one and are trying to find a good quality product.

I've loved and abused my Logitech Marble Mouse for 3yrs now and it still performs immaculately. I recently used it to create a very detailed AutoCad drawing and it was able to draw 'precise straight lines' and manoeuvre onto individual pixels with ease. This is a really good quality product.

One minor issue is the absence of a 'third button roller selector' which is often used to switch options in games and to zoom in applications. You can approximate this function with the 3&4 buttons but you still miss it.

n.b. Gamers will find trackballs are sometimes a bit slow for first person shooters but I've never had a sore wrist from long period use.

Addition:

It's now Oct 2014 and the marble mouse, despite being chewed by my parrot in 2012, still works perfectly. It can be cleaned in a second by lifting the ball and swiping your finger. I really have to doff my cap to this product.
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2013
I have this mouse at work and at home. My only gripe is that the spine is rather hard and it would be ideal if Logitech made the back of it in that pliable material as eventually the palm of my hand began to hurt (I have rheumatoid arthritis) I overcame this by pimping it up with some sheepskin which I velcroed to the back so that my hand is cushioned. Would prefer Logitech to make it with the cushioned material though
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2015
I first owned a computer in 1983 and, for the past 25+ years, I've used a mouse.
Since switching to the Apple Mac, I've been using the (wired) mighty mouse. I like it's use especially the ability to scroll in any direction. However, I'm fed up with replacing it every 9-10 months.
Had a good look around and, due mainly to the reviews on Amazon, decided to give this tracker ball a go.

After such a long time using a mouse, it's been hard but I've persevered and am just beginning to see it's benefits. I still find it hard, sometimes, to get the the cursor directly over a small part of the page and I still sometimes click on the 'select' buttons rather than the cursor up or down buttons but I'm getting there.

Like a number of other reviewers, I find the use of a tracker ball much easier on the hand, with less movement of the wrist required than with a mouse.

Finally, I must say that I am impressed with the quality of the tracker's construction. It's well weighted and the button 'click' with quite a robust feeling. The ability to remove and clean the ball itself making the whole thing easy to keep clean is a godsend.

Recommended

UPDATE AFTER 4 WEEKS of USE

I'm now whizzing about the screen AND finding it a lot easier to get the cursor in exactly the right place. I found it useful repeatedly changing the 'mouse' speed on my Mac (OS X 10.6.8) so the I can manage the subtleties of movement better. Still prefer a mouse, but that's 30 years of use against a month with a tracker-ball.
on 9 July 2013
The Logitech Marble Mouse (wired trackball) is my favourite mouse. I've been using it almost every day for years and it's only started to have problems after many years of use. The trackball is very good for those who don't want to be moving their whole arm to control the mouse pointer on screen. The small buttons above the left and right mouse buttons can be set as scroll wheels to move the page up and down very quickly and mouse buttons can be reversed. I've been using the Logitech Trackman Marble Mouse with my left hand with the buttons reversed even though I'm right handed. It's a fantastic product and well worth the money. Its works with both PC (Windows) and Mac (OSX 10.5 or later).

It will take a little time to customise the buttons on the trackball but this applies with all mice. The product will operate as standard mouse without without any additional drivers or software and without a scroll wheel function straight out of the box once plugged into the USB port. The scroll wheel function can be selected in the trackball preferences and the user has to decide which buttons to allocate scroll up and scroll down. The trackball is ergonomic and comfortable to use. Those with very large hands (a lot larger than size 10) may want to look at other larger products such as Kensington SlimBlade or Expert Optical Trackball, while Logitech have a range of devices on their website but the Trackman Marble is great to use, the motion of the ball is smooth and accurate and it's very easy to clean. The only very minor issue is that after years of use and being dropped the soft foam pads on the base have come off but a little glue and they'll be good.

It does take a little time to get used to using any trackball but I think it's well worth for the benefits and ease of use and in my humble opinion I think the Logitech Trackman is great.
on 18 September 2012
IN USE
I've used the Logitech Marble Mouse since the first 2 button version came out nearly 10 years ago. Since then there hasn't been a day when a version of the device hasn't been on my music studio desktop, or thrown in my laptop bag for mobile use.
The Marble Mouse is a love/hate amongst my friends & colleagues and most of the criticism seems to come from the fact that the trackball is finger operated, not thumb operated. To me, the device makes perfect sense, despite being a brilliant thing, your thumb has a relatively limited movement - pretty much side to side in an arc and that's it. Using the trackball with 2 fingers makes a lot of sense, particularly for very fine work as is often demanded by the ever decreasing on-screen size of a lot of current DAW buttons. 2 fingers allows you to use one finger for movement and the other for resistance to that movement - effectively meaning you have a proportional control pointing device. You can also use the trackball between your 2 fingers to allow rapid travel in either direction.

The very best thing - it doesn't move anywhere! Really small footprint, great for in-flight or on lap mobile work. Anecdotally, that makes it feel better from an RSI point-of-view. I've certainly never had a problem with long daily fine-control use for nearly a decade.

ERGONOMICS
The key thing is how well the Marble Mouse fits under your hand (and under EITHER HAND - brilliant for left handed peeps or if you have another controller on the other side like I often do). All the controls just fit so well ergonomically. For right handers, the main click is under your thumb, the trackball under your index and 2nd finger, and the other click under your 3rd or pinkie dependent on hand size. The new micro buttons on the Marble Mouse allow very simple programmable control of scrolling or sub-menus. whatever you wish. (I keep them as scrollers as it's really useful on a bust DAW track screen)

SOFTWARE/COMPATIBILITY
The device ships with a software suite for programming functions, but as with all devices, nip to the Logitech website for the absolute latest version. Great for both PC and Mac. It will run as a standard USB mouse without the driver but you miss out on a lot of functionality, but it's good if you are on a guest machine.

TRICKS
One of the things I really like about the device for DAW work, is that if you are doing a lot of tracking and drop-in/drop-out points, it's really handy to hover the pointer over your Record button, and then - take the ball clean out. that way, no drift on the pointer and you have a pretty much dedicated drop-in/drop-out button.

MAINTENANCE
On the subject of the ball - cleaning it and the support floats is a breeze. The ball clicks in/out very positively (ie doesn't just rest in there so even at an angle you're not going to lose it). Just a quick wipe over with a micro-fibre cloth every couple of days and around the ball cavity and you're good to go.

Logitech's support has always been pretty good. there's a couple of times I've dropped the ball out of the back of the car onto tarmac and its dented - it really doesn't work so well at that point. I emailed Logitech about getting a replacement and on 2 occasions they've just sent me a replacement straight from Switzerland, no charge, no hassle.

DOWNSIDES
It's not for everyone, I'll admit. Some colleagues prefer the side-address trackballs, but it's really personal taste.
Also, there's no wireless version. That's never bothered me as it's just permanently wired on the desk, but it bothers some folks.
Longevity - now this really is anecdotal, but I've seen a couple of other folk mention it. They don't seem to be lasting as long as they used to, particularly the micro-switches in the mini buttons. My first MarbleMouse is actually still working after many many years (the old beige 2 button job), but in the last 5 years, I must have bought maybe 4 or 5 new ones. Some of this may be the increased workload on them, and really £20 a year/2yrs for your primary input device bar the keyboard is probably not bad. Most peeps spend that on finding a mouse they actually like, or because they've lost/damaged the old one.

All in all, I can't recommend this product enough. It's simple, pretty stylish (has a bit of wow factor on the desk for clients!), effective, robust, painless and low footprint. Just buy one, you'll see!
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have been a carpal tunnel sufferer for many years, and although I have had surgery on both hands, I am conscious that my mouse-use can cause issues. I have used several different mice, but have never found one that allows completely pain-free manipulation. (My current mouse is the Logitech MX, which is bearable. Others - some very expensive - have been binned almost immediately.

So, I thought I'd try a trackball device - and this Logitech Mable Mouse looked a contender.

First, as a non-trackball user, I needed to forget using a mouse and take on the new regime - don't move it like a mouse! After a short while, however, the keeping the hand in the same place and moving the ball with the finger tips became more natural. Some people have said that they found the left and right buttons in an odd place - for me this wasn't an issue.

The trackball keeps the wrists still and the hand in a naturally open position - no clasping a moving mouse. This meant no wrist pain or pins-and-needles. Brilliant.

I use the Marble Mouse for everything now - work programmes, browsing and gaming. Never going back!

Oh, and setup was a breeze. Just plug into a USB socket and it's ready. Buttons can be configured using the Logitech program, but that's not needed to get the trackball up and running.