I confess that I am a huge fan of "TV Burp". This video is a collection of some of the best bits from the last two or three series' of the show (including the now legendary "Cataracts?" and "Ear cataracts?" bits) and I had a good laugh last night when I watched the DVD for the first time. But there are a few problems...

Firstly the length of the DVD. It is advertised as being 90 minutes long. The show itself is only an hour, and the extras (outtakes, deleted scenes, some of the best "fights", and a "Freaky Eaters" top ten) make up the rest. When we watched it last night as the credits started to roll we both said a surprised "oh!" as we were expecting another half an hour.

Secondly there are some major mastering problems in that the sound is out of sync for the first half an hour of the show. Whenever Harry speaks the sound and his lip movements are not synchronized, and this is extremely off-putting. It gets better after the half hour mark, but when fifty percent of the main show is faulty like this is isn't great.

Thirdly it is disappointing that the show concentrates so much on the newer episodes. "TV Burp" has now been on for a number of years, and the fact that it focuses on maybe the last three series' is a bit of a let-down when there was so much more they could have included.

Finally, there were lots of bits I was hoping to see in the show which haven't been included. The DVD leans heavily on "Coronation Street", "Emmerdale", "Footballers' Wives", "Marbella Belles" and "Australian Princess", and if you had a particular favourite moment which was in a show other than one of these the likelihood is that you will be disappointed.

Having said all this, we still found ourselves having to pause the DVD a couple of times as we were watching it as we were laughing so much. So a five-star show has one star knocked off for a fairly shoddy DVD master and slightly disappointing content. Definitely worth a look though.
33 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2008
As another reviewer stated, this DVD is disappointingly short and a bit shoddy.

There is no disupting the quality of the show, there have been some genuine moments of genius on TV Burp over the years (Some of which are shown here) but this just feels like a couple of episodes shoved onto a disk and then released into the public. The main part of the DVD is only 60 minutes long (not the 90 listed on the box) and there are a few short extras. Im not sure how Amazon how managed to calculate 136 minutes as the running time, but this is definately NOT true.

All in all, hilarious but rather disappointing.
on 19 January 2009
We really enjoyed watching this after christmas, however we were very disappointed to see the recent tv programmes which featured many of the same clips from the DVD.

Seems like we have wasted our money on the DVD, and as people were obviously going to purchase this for christmas, ITV should not have shown the same clips so soon after.
on 27 November 2008
Ive read the other reviews on Amazon, and a lot of what is said I completely agree with. The DVD itself is too short, the running time misleading (though the 16 minutes of unseen burp are really good), and a LOT of Burp Gold has been missed out.

HOWEVER! I am just very grateful to see this DVD released at all. Any fan of Burp will know that we have always been told there would never be an official release due to the sheer expense and copyright issues (a la the criminally un-released 'malcolm in the middle'). So it gives me great pleasure that we have been graced with an official release.

I wont spoil it by giving away the highlights, but, suffice to say, the whole 'ear cataracts' is here! A gem of a DVD. Cant wait for another!
on 1 July 2009
I'm a great fan of the 'TV Burp' and I love Harry's sarcastic and ironical approach to TV and comedy. The great thing about the show is that you don't have to be an avid fan of Eastenders or Coronation Street to get the jokes, as they're so simple to understand. However, I thought the DVD had a lot to be desired.

For one thing, the DVD's runtime is 136 minutes, however, this includes extras, which are not great, and the main feature of the DVD is 30 minutes-1 hour long, which wasn't the length I was expecting. I like getting as much value out of my purchases as possible by watching it during a car journey or some other boring activity. However, thanks to the runtime, this DVD is only something you can watch once or twice. I know making a boxset of 'TV Burp' would involve violating copyright laws and causing loads of controversy, but they could have made this maybe 2-3 hours long.

Another thing is the content. Although there are some funny bits in it (ear cataracts, etc.), I thought that the bits I found funniest from the past series were absent from the DVD. As well as that, some of the topics featured on the show are now out of date, and are not on TV anymore.

I think 'TV Burp' is one of these shows that should stick with being on TV and are not ready yet for DVD. If you really want 'TV Burp' on DVD, try taping the episodes onto a disc and make your own boxset. I just feel that this DVD does not contain much of the must have scenes that you would expect to find on a 'Best of' DVD.
on 8 December 2008
I was so pleased to see Harry's TV Burps advertised on DVD and couldn't wait to buy it. What a hilarious show it is and always makes me laugh however many times I see it. A must buy for all fans. The show itself should be on for an hour, not half an hour. Now I can play the DVD and enjoy the show - he always makes me laugh - and deserves the awards he gets for such genuine comedy. It just proves what a great comedian he is without any bad language - just pure good clean fun - and the way he picks out the comedy from all sorts of shows - you never know what he will pick up next. A good buy!!
on 6 June 2011
The best of a very good bunch, Harry Hill's first volume of 'TV Burp Gold' doesn't disappoint. Featuring hilarious comparisons between Royalty and Tupac on 'Australian Princess', the long winded but unarguably hilarious 'Cataracts' and 'Ear Cataracts' moments, and number confusion on 'Monster Moves', this DVD has done a good job at picking out the cream of the crop from Harry's show, which in its televised form is brilliant, but with the odd poor gag; which appear gladly absent from this release. There's barely a scene which didn't raise a laugh when I watched it with friends, and it's definitely a compilation that holds up to multiple viewings. My only gripe, and the sole reason I restrained from giving it '5 stars' was due to the poor visual quality, which is out of sync for quite a bit of the feature's duration, and the fact that the advertised time of roughly 90 minutes on the DVD cover, is misleading - the feature lasting an hour, and the making of documentary (which is also well worth a watch) taking up the rest of it. For Harry Hill fans, this is a must have DVD, and for those looking to get into the show, there are few better places to start. In the words of Paul Burrell in 'Australian Princess', it would be "the cardinal sin of teatime etiquette", to not purchase it.
on 4 January 2009
I have to say that I love TV Burp, and I love watching it on the TV. It's a breath of fresh air on today's television. This DVD contains a 60-minute episode with all the best bits and some outakes, as well as unseen material. I cannot help but notice there is not enough material in the episode. There have been so many great scenes from TV Burp, and a few more on the DVD wouldn't go amiss. I do like the unseen material as well- it is hilarious and it's great we can finally see it. As for the reviewer who found there were a few sound issues- I think it could be something to do with your DVD player- mine worked perfectly. But, for the price at the moment it is a steal- it's worth it. With all the other extras included, such as freaky eaters top ten and a fight montage, it's a great DVD release for such an amazing show.

I just wish they could bring it all out on a box set. But who knows? Maybe they're working on it now...
on 5 February 2009
i bought this for my daughter heres what she thinks:
Hi, i love this dvd any harry hill fan would too. I reccomend this for people to buy beacuse itsgot all te best bits of harry hill in it and extras plus cut out scenes ! :)
you dont get bored of it, i've watched i loads of times and still enjoy it.
Harry Hill is absolutely hilarious in my opinion and I've been a huge fan since his Channel 4 show many moons ago so his move into the more 'mainstream' TV world is always worth a watch. This DVD contains the 'best of' TV Burp from the pre-1998 series(es) so much of the material will be familiar to fans of the show. There were many occasions when I found myself laughing out loud which is a pretty impressive feat these days.

My only critisism is that the running time is shown as 136 minutes and the main feature's only about 60 minutes so the remainder of the material is contained within the extras. This is all very well but considering how long TV Burp has been on our screens it would have been nice to include some slightly older clips. That being said, it's a funny show and it's refreshing to be able to watch comedy with young children without the worry of bad language (and yes, I'm clearly turning into my mother!)