‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars must see, 16 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Summer Heights High is absolutely fantastic!
Topical, entertaining.
I watched all 8 episodes in one fell swoop.
chris lilley is a genius!
miss it at your peril

5.0 out of 5 stars His name is Chris Lilley, 3 talents one, two, three!, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
This box set is an essential comedy collection, featuring two series created by and starring the genius that is Chris Lilley. Lilley is an Australian comedian, television producer, actor, musician and writer.

This DVD set includes his first major series 'We Can Be Heroes,' which is a mockumentary comedy that follows the story of five unique Australians, who have each made a large achievement and been nominated by friends and family for the Australian of the Year award. One of these nominees is Ja'mie King, an obnoxious private school who Lilley goes on the play in the follow up series 'Summer Heights High.'

The second of the two series 'Summer Heights High,' is "a documentary series of high-school life experience from the viewpoints of 3 individuals: "Director of Performing Arts" Mr G; former private-school student Ja'mie King; and disobedient, vulgar Tongan student Jonah Takalua. The series lampoons Australian high-school life and many aspects of the human condition and is filmed documentary-style with non-actors playing supporting characters."

The main characters in each of the two series, 'We Can Be Heroes' & 'Summer Heights High' are played by Chris Lilley. Chris has an amazing talent for creating outrageous yet defined personas. His characters are entertaining and believable; it's easy to forget it's one man as you find yourself investing in each identity without comparing them. Chris's characters usually make you laugh, but they can often tug at your heart strings as well. You soon realise that Lilley is far more than just a comedian, he's a actor with it.

Of the two series, 'Summer Heights High' is the most critically acclaimed. The programme won a Logie Award for Most Popular Light Entertainment/Comedy Program in 2008 and in the same year the show had been sold for international distribution to BBC Three in the United Kingdom, HBO in the United States, and The Comedy Network in Canada.

I'm certain that 'We Can Be Heroes' would have achieved a greater level of success, had it been made after 'Summer Heights High.' I can see why people prefer the later but personally I find each series to be equally enjoyable.

2 Entertains production of this DVD set is excellent. Each series comes with a second bonus features disc with deleted scenes/bloopers, behind the scenes footage and even audition tapes. The picture and sound quality is top notch.

A must own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Lilley is a Legend, 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I first stumbled across Sumnmer heights high whilst bored looking for comedy on BBC i player and thought it was fantastic , have just enjoyed watching Chris lilleys latest show Angry boys absolutley hilarious a must watch, my whole family love it we then had to watch Summer heights again and the first time for us watching We can be heroes . Chris Lilley is a genius writer i cannot wait to watch whatever he does next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 11 Jan. 2013
Rusalka (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I am from the UK, and came across Angry Boys first, and ended up working my way backwards to Summer Heights High and then to We Can Be Heroes. Instantly, Chris Lilley's rather satirical works are up at my top favourite comedy series (from the UK: Alan Partridge, Peep Show, Black Books, Spaced, etc) which I could watch again and again.. especially when chilling with my friends with some smokes.

Chris Lilley is a pure genius; he plays all of the main characters in his works. Despite this, you always end up seeing them as entirely different people with different mannerisms, facial expressions, and very believable 3d personalities. Even Daniel and Nathan, who are supposed to be identical twins, are very noticeably different. Chris Lilley's ability to pay attention to details in his acting, and portrayal of his characters, is amazing.

I feel the need to seek out some more comedy series and mockumentaries from Australia, but I fear that the bar has been set and I might be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Lilley's a Comedy Hero!, 9 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Hilariously cringeworthy characters populate this brilliantly observed pair of mockumentaries from Australia's Chris Lilley, with all the leads played by Lilley himself, regardless of race, creed, disability or gender. Sharp cult comedy that leaves you wanting more and the song from Mr G - the Musical, 'Naughty Girl' going round and round in your head for months afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dvds at a great price!!!!, 13 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I have been watching Angry Boys on BBC3 and really enjoyed it, a friend of mine said that the creator had done two series before, so I ordered them and I was so glad I did. Really enjoyed both the dvds. Happy with seller dvds arrived within a couple of days. Would recommend and use again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr G - what more can i say?!, 22 Mar. 2009
S. Westergaard (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely fantastic. Have only watched Summer heights high so far, and if that's anything to go by I'm in for a treat with the next one. So well observed - fantastic characters. Mr G may he live forever!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun way to spend your time, 22 Mar. 2009
K. Foster - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Summer Heights High and We Can Be Heroes is just fantastic to watch.....My Favourite character is Mr G. Chris Lilley is very talented and his characters are all different yet very amusing to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic aussie comedy!, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched both "Summer Heights High" and "We can be heroes" and they are both fantastic! Mr G is my personal favorite but all the characters are amazing.
Its a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best comedies out there, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Summer Heights High & We Can Be Heroes Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this boxset after watching Angry Boys and I have never had so many laughs from a programme in a long time, Chris Lilley is exceptionally talented and portrays each character so well, it's hard to remember that each character is played by the same guy
I can't imagine any teenager that wouldn't like this, I even got my mum hooked on it
There are plenty of extra's on the dvd's
So pleased with this DVD it's a must buy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›