5.0 out of 5 stars The best comedy since "The Office"
Published on 26 Jun 2008 by D. Bates

3.0 out of 5 stars good, but not his best
I rate Angry Boys highest, then Summer Heights High, then this DVD. It's very clever, but the humour can be a bit cruel. Some of the "heroes" are frauds or losers. I still enjoyed the DVD because Chris is wonderful in it.
Published 2 months ago by A keen reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best comedy since "The Office", 26 Jun 2008
D. Bates (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes [DVD][2005] (DVD)
"We Can Be Heroes" is a comedy documentary written by Cris Lilley, which follows 5 people who have all been nominated "Australian of the Year" - all played by Lilley. The concept is similar to Ricky Gervais's "The Office" - in that all the characters are very natural - there are no punch-lines as such, the humour lies in the accuracy of the cast's portrayal of every-day foibles. Also like "The Office" the humour is set very much in the context of a whole drama - the characters develop through the series, and there are many genuinely moving moments.
That said - this is no Gervais rip-off. Chris Lilley is a very original genius - an outstandingly talented comic actor, with a great ear for dialogue and a fantasticly quirky and inventive sense of humour. The pathos is pitched absolutely perfectly - the characters are all a little flawed in their curious ways, but they're all very human, and you end up genuinly caring about them.
Over-all - I can't praise this highly enough. I'm not easily won over, but "We Can Be Heroes" is something very special. My highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, yes..., 4 Oct 2008
W. O'Dell "Wayne" (Clapham, London,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes [DVD][2005] (DVD)
I looked for this following Summer heights High that was shown on the BBC. Ordered it from Australia before it was out in the UK and was not dissapointed. Absolutely terrific! The careful observation of the characters and the toungue in cheak dark dark comedy in this is wonderful. Think little Britain, done more intelligently. Just superb, and in my top ten ever comedy DVD collection. Truely a must see...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 17 May 2009
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
If you like Chris Lilly (summer heights high) you are going to love this too. If you haven't heard of Chris Lilly before then the humour is similar to the style of Ricky Gervais (the office) or Borat! Outrageously funny and you get to love / hate the characters as you follow them through the audition process of Autralian of the Year. Chris Lilly is able to portrait the characters superbly and you can see people you know in each of them (teenage sons, spoilt rich diva teenage daughter, middle aged disabled lady, chinese genious interested in musical theatre, and ex police officer with a huge ego and very annoying personality!).
This DVD came before Summer Heights High, if I were you I would buy both (I did!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 22 Jan 2009
James Allison "usually easily pleased" (Forest Hill, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes [DVD][2005] (DVD)
I bought this on the strength of the Summer Heights High series, and was delighted to see Ja'ime in her pre-exchange student days.

I'd say it's better than Summer Heights High , for the sheer range of characters Lilley has created, and plays (you can't help but love Pat Mullins) but both are genius creations.

I look forward to the next Chris Lilley creation...buy this DVD.

"Nathaaaaaaaaaan!"

5.0 out of 5 stars comic genious, 15 April 2010
Miss L. Bloor "..." (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
I can't recommend this enough, Chris Lilley is a comic genious!

Lilley plays 6 original (and very true-to-life) characters in this 'mockumentary' from Pat - a pioneer in the sport of rolling, to Ricky - a young Chinese physics genious who just wants to act, as well as Ja'mie - a 16-year-old-private-school-girl whose character is carried on in the 'Summer Heights High' series (another DVD to go in the shopping basket while you're at it).

I want to strongly advise everyone to buy this product, just give it a try; its a very reasonablt price and the worst that can happen is you don't find it particularly funny - however I garantee that won't happen! So, go on buy it and show your support to Australian comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Disappointment Here!!!, 24 Mar 2010
Lydia Clare (Winsford England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
After watching the outstanding Summer Heights High I was intrigued to find out whether We Can Be Heroes could ever be as good. As it was created before SHH and only contained one character from it I did wonder if it could live up to my high expectations. I was not disappointed!
This series is a triumph and a real insight into the human psyche. A fantastic piece of work that stands on a par beside SHH without being overshadowed by it.
There are over 2 hours of extras that are just as entertaining and hilarious as the show itself.
Chris Lilley is a genius and everything he touches seems to turn to gold. Each character is completely believeable and utterly funny!
The dvd got to me very fast even before the date I it had said!
If you have not seen Summer Heights High then this is a great place to start and if you have, well you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and original, 19 April 2009
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely brilliant. Excellent story line, original plot and Lilley should be really proud of his work. He is supremely talented, has written, directed and acted in such a brilliant comedy. Refreshing that something like this exists, amongst the brainless `comedy' of Little Britain and Catherine Tate we see in the UK these days. Very similar to The Office in the sense that, despite laughing at how much of a tit Brent is, we seem to get emotionally attached to them. There is a wonderful storyline with fantastic humour inter-twined, rather than (as we see all too often these days) the plot coming as a vague afterthought after the jokes have been made. We laugh at each of the unique characters more than the words they say, and that is a testament to how well Lilley has constructed such credible personalities. The only thing that rivals The Office (the original and best one) as my favourite comedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value for money, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
Very good product, arrived quickly very happy, if you like summer heights high you will like this x

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as Summer Heights High., 24 Mar 2010
G. Pope (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
Assuming your already a fan of Chris Lilley, have seen Summer Heights High (SHH) and enjoyed it, then you will also like 'We can be Heores'. Whilst a bit more drawn out between the laughs of SHH the characters that Lilley has conjured up are as equally flawed and hilarious. It's probably worth watching just to see how the character of Ja'mie from SHH was concieved in this prequel (of sorts). Good fun and a must see for die-hard fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Lilley - Ricky Gervaise There is a BIG difference, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, can we stop comparing Chris Lilley with Ricky Gervaise? Chris Lilley has, literally, been more people in one episode of his mockumentaries than Rick Gervaise has played in his entire career. (Although that is not difficult as RG has milked his one character to death throughout his TV/Film career)

Chris Lilley has that wonderful talent to make you laugh and cry at exactly the same time for the same reasons. A prime example being the bit where the twin who can hear, shouts to his deaf brother as he walks away. "If you turn round now, I'll give you a thousand bucks!" One line that has so much emotion, humour and sadness. "We could be Heroes" and "Summer Heights High" (Lilley's other work) are festooned with such sharp, wonderful writing and observed life.

His comedy is sharp, black and heart-breakingly funny.

But hey! Remember that silly dance that the guy from 'The Office' did that made you cringe? No, me neither.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xad0de384)

We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD]
We Can Be Heroes (The Nominees) [DVD] by Chris Lilley (DVD - 2008)
7.00