on 26 March 2009
I bought this in place of a faulty Roberts Revival. It cost a third of the price, has good solid build quality and has excellent and useful features (DAB+ ready, stereo sound, rewinds for 15 minutes, 50 presets, tone controls, excellent DAB reception and nice design). The optional ChargePak is an excellent idea too and very useful - I like the fit and forget approach rather than having to remove the batteries to charge them.

The sound is also excellent - very nice clear and balanced sound, and you can adjust the treble and bass to your own liking if you wish to. It also has a 2 year warranty and looks much nicer in real life than it does in the photographs - the rubber finish is quite classy and smart. I have no links with Pure, but am really pleased by this excellent product. Superb value for money. It does everything a radio should do and it does it all really well. I can't think of any negatives at all. An impressive radio.
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2008
I bought this radio for 2 reasons - a DAB for the bathroom (using a chargepak), and to connect my IPOD when away from home.
As a radio the unit is great - we have a weak DAB signal and our Evoke 2 had to have an external aerial to get a decent signal, but this unit finds a strong signal all over the house.
My one niggle is that the line in feature isn't what I would consider a line in feature. If you connect an IPOD to the line in socket you can't control the volume on the radio - only through the IPOD itself. This is ok if you connect the IPOD to the radio through the headphone socket, but not if you connect through the dock connector. This means I can't use my dock. Shame this feature is not included, this would have been a 5 star product if it had not been for this one "fault"
11 comment|77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2008
This radio makes for a good addition to the kitchen or the living room. Its build quality is demonstrated through its robustness, grip and its luxurious matt finish. It has everything you'd expect from a decent DAB:

- Easy to read back-lit screen with bright white font as opposed to older, bleak LCD text.

- All stations are pre tuned and accessible via the seek dial.

- All the extras you'd expect from a radio of this calibre (ReVu rewinds live broadcasts by up to 15 minutes. Intelligent text gives more station information than the original radio data system).

- The battery compartment offers the "ChargePAK" which fills up with power whilst connected to the mains to give it the portability factor (although 6 C Cells will do the job).

- The essential clock and alarm feature as standard.

However there are a couple of things that disappointed me about this radio. It may not be the case with everyone, but I found the power jack to be very temperamental; every time I move it, it turns its self off and I have to jiggle the plug until it regains power. I was also disheartened to discover that certain stations were unavailable such as Q Radio and other stations abroad. Despite the crisp sound this radio's two speakers produce, they actually operate in mono when one would expect stereo on a modern age (and pricey!) piece of kit.

Overall, though I do feel this radio does slight injustice to the word 'elite', it is definitely worth serious consideration if you intend to purchase a DAB radio. A mighty fine contender!
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2010
Pros : Good reception ; Chargepak works well ; Plays loud music well .

Cons : Volume control is not linear , it varies in steps which are too big ; Volume cannot be turned downed low enough for nightime listening ; to ajust the tone you have to press/turn the control buttons no less than five times in sequence each time for treble and the same again to adjust the bass !

Unfortunately , I will have to buy a different radio for nightime / quiet - time listening which I did not expect to have to do . But the ( optional )rechargeable battery makes it very portable .
on 15 June 2009
Read varied reviews decided worth going for. The build quality and solid feel of the radio is excellent. Reception is also very good, used it in a caravan in the middle of the Devon countryside also picked up good signal strength.Bought the battery pack for £27 delivered off ebay also works very well. Use on battery maximum of one hour a day so can't comment on longevity of charge, but recharges this amount fairly quickly as indicated on the display. Used the rewind a couple of times, worked well, took a couple of goes to fathom it out but now quite straightforward to use. Saving to memory and selecting saved stations also quite easy. Would buy another if I had to, cost me around £65 delivered .
on 3 October 2008
I am a DAB Radio fan and the house is full of Radio's - old Robert's Models , a Bose Wave CD/Radio and MANY Pure models including a ONE , Evoke1 Evoke2xt and a Tempus.

I could not resist added this to my collection and am well pleased - this addition to The One franchise now has 2 speakers with both bass and treble adjustment - it's got a really sleek appearance and 'feel'- my wife reckons it's damned Sexy - it's a smooth matt appearance to the end and a soft cashmere like feel to it's material - she reckon's it's a ladies toy and who am I to disagree :-)

set up as always is so EASY and the Radio uses Autotune to locate all the available DAB channel's in your area - I am familiar with the workings of these radio's now so did not look at the instructions but the whole thing is so intuitive it REALLY is easy to use .

The sound is obviously improved on The One and it's nice and punchy and very clear - for the price this is excellent sound quality indeed - I bought a recharge pack with it and on testing I got 30 hrs of continuous play from a fully charged C6L pack - I recommend this option - does away with the mains lead and ordinary batteries are just so expensive to keep replacing - I have to say just like The One it is a bit fiddly getting the charge-pak in but persevere it does work.

Of course the great addition other than the extra speaker to The Elite is the Revu button with pause and rewind-superb indeed as well as The Intellitext feature for news.

The Elite has a USB connection for future upgrades but far more important to me is the i-pod/mp3 jack making it easy to play my ITouch and iPod through the Elite - I do this with my Evoke2XT as well but of course this radio is far more portable.

Well done PURE - a sexy radio that sounds great !!
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2010
This radio (the Pure One Elite) has better DAB signal reception than the slightly smaller Pure One Classic. I live in an area with a poor radio signal. The 'Classic' couldn't pick up DAB signals but the 'Elite', which I replaced it with, can.
on 16 May 2009
Well overall its not bad I suppose, but I resent a few features that I consider to be poor design. Firstly the volume control is not progressive it is incremental....for bedside use for instance the quietest increment is too low, the next increment too high....whatever happened to an ordinary volume control so that I can choose the level not PURE!...then there's changing station, when you select the required channel on the display, you have to press in the large knob to select...but you have to do it with such force that it tips the radio over unless you hold the radio....listen PURE.... THIS IS NOT CLASSIC DESIGN !!!! ...I could go on...
on 23 August 2011
The Pure One Elite is a well-made radio spolt by a design that goes to extremes in placing style before function. The sound is fine but the radio is a real nuisance to use. I've had it for a year and I'm thoroughly fed up with it. All the trouble comes from that horseshoe of chrome dot buttons around the central chrome knob/button. Every function is controlled through this, usually by a series that goes 1. press dot to choose menu; 2. turn the knob to scroll through the menu; 3. press knob to select preference. That's okay if you're doing something that is shaped like a menu but it is not a good way of dealing with presets or volume. With presets there are four or five stations I listen to regularly -- I want to press one button to get one station, none of that fuss. Volume is something else and it is absurd. Because we have to go through the stepped knob, the volume is not continuously variable but in large steps. The steps are much too large -- I can only use three of them (for comparison, on the TV I use 25) and the lowest one is too loud for listening in bed when other people in the house are asleep,. There is also a difficulty with the central knob. You'll notice it is face on, rather than at the side. This means you can only turn it with your finger tips rather than first finger and thumb, and it is slippery too. If your fingers are stiff or clumsy you will find it awkward. And while we're on awkwardness, this heavy object the size of a brick has not got a handle. To carry it safely you have to cradle it in your arms. But back to the central issue: using presets and controlling volume are the two main functions on a radio and in this product they are just not good enough.
on 25 January 2011
Pure one elite black.
Having the am/fm radio for 20yrs bounced around building sites paint, bits hanging off it and still going.
I decided to go digital, invest in the pure one elite black, and it lasted 3 mths before it started cutting out every 10 mins in test conditions. Had to switch it off and on at the main to get it to start again. Didn't like there customer relations, I had to pay to send it back to them so there confidence in the product is just talk.
Its the first time I have heard of a radio breaking down and i am 68.