Format: DVD|Change

on 29 April 2009
I felt obliged to write a review because the 1 star rating given by the previous review is, in my opinion, inexplicable. This show is laugh-out-loud funny, the sketches are just the right length and the returning characters are sufficiently different each episode to be surprising and never boring, whilst retaining their 'catch phrases'. Most episodes are a mixture of the regular characters and a couple of slightly longer stand alone sketches. I have watched this dvd several times with very different audiences and so far everyone has loved it. The series is very like the early series of The Fast Show - if you liked that I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Armstrong and Miller.
on 8 May 2009
I disagree with the one star review. Okay, not every sketch works - even the greatest sketch shows were very much hit and miss - look at Monthy Python, Two Ronnies, Smith and Jones, Fast Show or Little Britain - but some sketches are brilliant. The street-talking pilots are clever and the cavemen sketches are genius.

I would suggest making up your own mind as to the star rating. It may not always be laugh out loud but it is very entertaining and both Miller and Armstrong are such great comic performers. Timing, voices and mannerisms all add to the strong comic characters they create.

I'm also glad to read that Ben Miller is such a good bloke - he always comes across that way.

I think this is pretty good bearing in mind this is their fifth series (four for channel four - see other review) and I look forward to number six. I think in the current climate where there are so many sub-par comedy shows on TV, this old-school style show works for me.
on 2 July 2009
If you're wavering between buying this or not, just buy it! Armstrong & Miller is smarter than the average sketch show - there are so many memorable characters; the street-talking spitfire pilots, "Daily Mail reader" sat-nav, inappropriate dentist, the list is endless!
This lacks the dodgy moments that you find in so many other similar shows. The whole series is witty and subtle, and out of the same stable as Mitchell and Webb. Guaranteed laugh out loud comedy for the more discerning!
on 3 December 2009
I have never, ever written one of these things before but felt that I had to try and put people straight about the 'One star' reviews! The oh so clever writing and brilliant acting from these chaps is the first side splitting humour I've seen on TV for decades - just do yourself a favour and buy it. Whenever I think of certain sketches I just burst into giggles and that is soooo not like me!!! Enjoy!
on 21 October 2009
from the ww2 two pilots who speak in 21st century chav speak to the fighting cafe workers whose punters often get thrown through windows,with many other great sketches inbetween the first series of armstrong and miller is six episodes of comedy genius
I didn't cotton on to A&M until their most recent series on BBC1 - this is (like the box says) their first BBC1 series. I've seen their earlier Channel 4 series and wasn't that impressed, but this is fantastic stuff - top notch viewing. Some may think that sketch based comedy is old fashioned or that catch phrase comedy is lazy and unfunny, but I can't agree, and neither is this the sort of stuff that you either get or you don't. It had me laughing out loud and I'm sure it'll have the same effect on you. I tend to be quite choosy about my comedy and I'm damn glad I chose this.

There are about seven episodes of the chav pilots, Brabbins and Fyffe, Frank Dad, the cuckolded husband, the inappropriate dentist and so on. Some of the sketches miss the mark a little (the sat nav and the vegetarian restauranteurs didn't do much for me), but you can't please everyone all the time. Some of the sketches are horribly predictable ("Kill them!") but that's part of the fun.

This is great value.

"It's kicking off Pru!"
on 2 January 2010
What I especially like is that it humours the kind of things that one wonders in day to day life- like why TVs and mobile phones have model names made out of numbers and letters. While producing hilarious material the duo manages to keep it unoffensive and tasteful.
on 8 November 2010
I find Armstrong and Miller to be wonderfully clever and funny in their sketches.

Having also seen their live show I discovered that they are even more talented than I realised. They are of the old school performer in that they can act, dance, sing, write, play instruments, in fact just about everything.

As they said during the show "if it doesn't seem funny then it is probably means that it is clever."

Personally I find their material to be both.
on 2 August 2014
After seeing both Armstrong & Miller in other programmes I wanted to see them working together... & am disappointed that there is a warning of 'Adult' themes.... I prefer clean comedy - like the Two Ronnies, Open All Hours & Morcambe & Wise. Things don't have to be 'smutty' to be funny! I'll reserve judgement on this DVD until I've viewed it.
on 28 April 2016
not as good as I had expected