5.0 out of 5 stars Top Draw
I write this whilst listening for the 3rd time to the stream of Radio Retaliation that the kind folk at Thievery and Facebook have made available for us all to listen too. The official release date is in a couple of days on the 22nd.

Published on 20 Sept. 2008 by apples-214

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure !
I'm a lifelong fan of the Thievery Corp and find them hard to compare there downtempoe versatile wold rhythms, to any other. For Radio Retaliation, the lyrics are definitly politically motivated , somewhat a continuation of The Richest Man. Quality vocalists of mixed genres dub jamaican ragga Indian rhythms, latin and indie. Less jazzy less lounge . I have played this...
Published on 22 Feb. 2009 by R.O. P

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Draw, 20 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)

What can I say about this? well as per the pre-release hype it does seem to be political if you try and listen to the lyrics, though to be honest I haven't really noticed. The music is as eclectic as ever and absolutely fabulous.

I'm not going to list out the tracks and do an appraisal on them all. If you are a Thievery fan, you'll know the drill. Lots of down and up tempo beats & rhythms, funk & soul inflections, sitars and guitars - an undercurrent of driving dub throughout with spacey vocals - overall a total auditory mindwash.

This is not to say though that it's more of the same. This album is a notch up from their last offering, with not a duff track on it

In my humble opinion this is a no brainer, buy this ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine effort by TC....BUT, 24 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
Another top notch offering of African-Latin-Indo-middle eastern influenced downtempo grooves. Although it doesnt veer far from the TC template there is more of an Afro vibe while the lyrics are more political than before. If you're already a fan get this pronto. If you dont like their previous releases you sure wont like this either.

And now for the big BUT....the quality of the packaging. Sorry to say this but it is the worst packaged CD in music history, alright.. since the mid 80s. Its a pretty shoddy cardboard sleeve which is a bit larger than your standard plastic jewel case. The CD itself is loose and inside a folded poster with a picture on one side and credits and all sorts of bumf on the other. What's going on fer Gawd's sake? I dont think I am being petty because packaging is almost as important as the content.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good but not really great, 16 July 2009
Mr. Stuart Robert Harris "Vivir Con Arte" (Norwalk CT 06850) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
Lounge electronica? Chill-out grooves? Well slap me with a Baileys ice stick, someone because I find Radio Retaliation great for running. When I run, this and TC's Cosmic Game are what gives me the beats on my iPhone along with my RunKeeper app to track the run.

Radio Retaliation is an eclectic mix. There are slightly dreamy female vocal tracks (e.g. Beautiful Drug) with one in French that I suspect is about Charlotte Gainsbourg. There's plenty of Afro-hybrid in there with Brazilian, Afro-Latin, Black American, Reggae and African and some up-tempo electronica.

Radio Retaliation is billed as having a political edge and there are certainly references to exploitation and the recent economic bust. But mostly the would-be political songs are little more than sloganeering - nowhere near as sophisticated as the music. "Numbers Game" is the only track where I would nudge a friend and say "did you catch that".

I'm pleased I bought it, I would buy it again and I'll probably buy some other TC albums. All in all recommended but not highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stealing in on my musical tastes like a member of the Shining Path.., 28 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
OK I think the Shining path where a bunch of murderous Maoist psychos, and I am not into infantile leftism but this album stirs in me in these times of unrepentant bankers and unrelenting world poverty a real feeling of affinity. Anger is good. It's necessary too many performer operate in world where they think complaining about their download deals amounts to rebellion or they think stadium posturing is politics. I am sure I could disagree a lot with the TC but this is a stupendous blast of Angry Reggae cum whatever. Anger with sumptuous lounge dub is even better. Love this album and sorry whoever complained about the packaging. Talk about not getting the fricking point? Go and buy a boxed set of fifty cent albums complete with fake diamante pendant if the artifice of the album cover is what you want. I don't listen to a lot of dub world music and this has blown me away. My Bro in Law John Reid bought it for me and I have hardly listened shame on me. Now I have I can't stop, Mandala with it swooning sitars and fantastic bass. Hare Krishna which without being fake bangra does it brilliantly. This album is just brilliant. Pueblo Unido is just brill. i am playing this music at my next barbecue. Radio retaliation and forgotten people, with its spagehetti western influences will let people know they are not listening to something out of the ordinary. As for the packaging. I think its well in line with the sensibilities of anyone with a brain cell. John

4.0 out of 5 stars Like meeting an old mate..., 1 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
Business as usual from the Thievery crew - and no disappointments here if you're already a fan as there are no real changes here apart from more overtly political lyrics. This is more like a companion piece to the Cosmic Game and I'd say this is a slight advance as I felt CG was let down by occasionally weak tracks whereas this is more consistent throughout. But I could see many thinking that every Thievery album sounds the same and that they are one-trick ponies whose soundscapes very soon becomes tiresome. This is to miss the point - that the Thievery are the very best at the chilled beat game and that many pretenders cannot come even close to replicating their sound.

How you like this album depends on how you feel about them. For a newcomer, this isn't a bad place to start. Agreed, this doesn't come close to either Mirror Conspiracy or The Richest Man In Babylon, both marking considerable advances in their music. But for now, this is very satisfying indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite albums this year., 20 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
Better then I could have ever imagined.
What a fantastic mix of politics, R&B, world, male & female vocals. Seamless transitions between genres.
Now I have to get all their stuff.
CB

5.0 out of 5 stars music, 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
What great album! once again Thivery corporation don't disappoint, using sounds from all over the world.a must for every T.C fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
I haven't heard of thievery corporation before but I am totally addicted to it now - excellent music with a fantastic base

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Buy with confidence, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Radio Retaliation [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Perfect
Buy with confidence

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, like the wrapping., 9 May 2011
Nicu Taran (Timisoara, Romania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radio Retaliation (Audio CD)
It seems Thievery Corporation are going in a more eco-friendly direction lately.
The CD is basically wrapped in a carton case - no plastic.

I was glad to receive it without damage, since the last few CDs I ordered all came with some damage to the package and also the contents.

Radio Retaliation
Radio Retaliation by Thievery Corporation (Audio CD - 2008)