5.0 out of 5 stars Lambchop At Its Juicy Best
Ever since I heard Lambchop--it was Nixon--for the first time, I was hooked. Americana being a new label for me then, I approached them skeptically but was blown away by their music, both Kurt Wagner's lyrical mischief and boldness, and the palette of sounds available in such large band, an array of possibilities you don't always hear.

Pretty much everything...
Published on 9 Oct 2008 by Juan Mobili

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring as hell
Listened to OH (ohio) once, thought, 'Dull. Very dull. Better give it a second chance.'

Listened to it twice, thought, 'Damn! Why did I waste my money?'

I'm a seasoned lambchop fan, have most of their albums, like dozens of tracks off the early albums, loved Is A Woman and listened to it over a hundred times - so it's not as if I don't like quiet,...
Published on 15 Nov 2008 by Luke Andreski

5.0 out of 5 stars Lambchop At Its Juicy Best, 9 Oct 2008
Juan Mobili (Valley Cottage, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OH (Ohio) (Audio CD)

Pretty much everything they put out up until Is A Woman, I thought, was extraordinary ... never quite the same but maintaining a certain mood and musical thread. After that things were not bad but following albums, although each of them contained gems, did not carry the creative weight of its predecessors.

Ohio is a return to what Lambchop does best, the languid melodies full of nuances and thoughtful twists are back. The melancholy in Wagner's voice is more poignant, I think, and he sounds more determined, as laid back as he's always sounded, to touch you deep inside your heart.

The band is stunning, a tribute to risking being so many and never making a ton of money--until Nixon, Kurt work sanding floors to support himself--that pays off big dividends in this album again. I believe there's a remarkable difference where each instrument in a band comes from a member rather than a studio session player. These guys inhabit and bring their personal touch to these songs, something virtuosos for hire don't always bother with.

Speaking of the songs, although hard to pick some over others, some beauties must be mentioned. Sharing a Gibson with Martin Luther King Jr., Ohio, Popeye, I Believe In You or I'm Thinking of a Number, can be included in a serious Lambchop collection.

All in all, Lambchop's back--although they never went astray--with a powerful album. Power that grows from Wagner hardly raising his voice beyond a whisper and a band that's less concerned with shining individually that glowing together.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I am free from all decisions / I am free from all despair...", 28 Sep 2008
This review is from: Ohio [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
I'm a complete Lambchop neophyte, but I happened to hear this album - it was given away free in the German edition of Rolling Stone - and I loved it.

The painting on the front by artist Michael Peed, Kurt Wagner's former grad school mentor, sets the scene for the album: violence (through the window, you can see LA police officers beating a man in a racist attack) is comically and critically contrasted with an intimacy which is centre stage (a man fondles his lover's breast on a dishevelled bed, blissfully unaware of the tumult outside). There is something more fiery being held back in the music, too, kindling on the coals in the background, but never quite bursting into flames.

In his restrained baritone - which counters to the loud and glossy unsubtleties of mainstream music - Wagner's lyrics are barely audible (on one track he sings, "I'm such a bad enunciator / Understanding [me?] is hard") but have their trademark thoughtfulness: "We'll I'm not too acquainted with the topography of your mind", he sings on Slipped, Dissolved and Loosed, "I need a detailed description / a representation of some kind".

Standouts (IMO): A Hold of You, I Believe In You, Of Raymond, Slipped Dissolved and Loosed

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best Lambchop album, 1 Dec 2008
M. Brown (Cardiff United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ohio [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
Mainly because it's the most heartfelt and least self-consciously quirky. I thought Damaged was the most boring thing ever; I didn't even get through the whole of it, so I was not at all optimistic about its successor. How many Lambchop albums could really be considered classic? Only Nixon and Is A Woman. This album may lack the same kind of stand-outs as those two albums, but I found myself impossibly moved by these tracks. I listened to a promo copy, I don't know if the actual album has a lyric booklet, and I don't know what half the words are, but it's the moods of the pieces more than anything . . . a powerful melancholy that Wagner has only occasionally tapped before (specifically on the Is A Woman album). This album is NOT BORING. Don't believe the other review that says that. Damaged was boring, because it felt like nothing was really at stake, like Wagner was going through the motions to some degree. Others will no doubt scoff at the idea that this is Lambchop's best album, but it's the one that affected me most, and that's how I measure how good an album is. Particular mention goes to 'Slipped Dissolved And Loosed','Of Raymond' and 'Popeye'. Don't miss the experience of this album, because it is special and unique.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Oh Lambchop! Brilliant bliss, 15 Sep 2009
This review is from: OH (Ohio) (Audio CD)
Lambchop are one of the few bands around that I like who seem happy to create delicate music rather than trying to assault your ears like a lot of others do. For this I am truly glad! This album begins with the chilled out Ohio and just gets more chilled out from there. Slipped Dissolved and Loose uses guitars and piano to magical effect and the lyrics of Kurt Wagner are as delicate and minimalist as always.
The great music keeps coming until what I feel are the two stand out tracks, Sharing A Gibson With Martin Luther King Jr. and Of Raymond. The light guitaring and and offbeat lyrics make them both blissful pieces of music that would grace any album.
If you are new to Lambchop, get this album! If you are aware of Lambchop and don't have it yet, get this album! It's musical scores are almost orchestral in parts and the always delicate vocals give it something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful masterpiece, 30 Jan 2010
J. H. Dingle - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ohio [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
My first Lambchop CD, but I'm now trying to get them all. Like most great CDs, you need several plays to really get it, but once the songs are there, they won't leave. 'Slipped, Dissolved and Loosed' was the first one I fell for, but then others such as 'National Pirate Day' and 'Sharing a Gibson with Martin Luther King Jnr' (that's a Gibson cocktail, not a guitar, with details of what is in a Gibson detailed in the lyrics) then blew me away. The sort of CD it's hard to stop playing straight through, even if you didn't plan to. No weak songs on it, though the first half is the most remarkable. I agree that it's much better than Damaged. It takes the muted but appealing soundscapes of that, but then weds them to superb songs, and, again agreeing with the above, is very often very moving. Definitely album of the year for me in 2009, and one of my most treasured of all. Buy and play to death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 13 Oct 2008
Simon Rea (IOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ohio [Limited Edition] (Audio CD)
Im a huge fan of Kurts beatiful band. Stumbling upon them back in the NIXON days... That they are branded Alt country it will shock any new ears that OHIO drifts along with subtle understated grace. As usual it takes a few spins for the tresures to shine through But like all Lambchops albums give it a little time and the rewards are worth there "wait" in gold.. This gem of an album will have pride of place on my player...... until the band bring out another..!!

Album of the year in my world

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: OH (Ohio) (Audio CD)
Love this album. Really easy to listen and relax to. Played it to my cousin and she now loves it too and so i bought for her. Played it to my father in law and he liked it so much he bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, 8 Feb 2013
Petter Holmqvist (Malmö, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OH (Ohio) (Audio CD)
There is nothing like Lambchop. In fact, there's nothing better. Unless you venture into the respective worlds of Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven... And so forth.
Sample tracks: I'm Thinking Of A Number and Sharing A Gibson With Martin Luther King Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Up To Scratch, 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: OH (Ohio) (Audio CD)
Some of the reviews seem to imply this is not as good as the classic Lambchop of old. But while it does not break any new ground the song-writing is as good as it has always been - and there is a lot here that fans will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album contains two of Lambchop's greatest ever songs, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: OH (Ohio) (Audio CD)
Kurt Wagner is in masterful form on `Oh Ohio', and in my very humble opinion this record contains two of Lambchop's finest songs to date. `Slipped, dissolved and loosed' could soundtrack any spring or summer, whilst `Sharing a Gibson with Martin Luther King' is in a word, beautiful. The album is elegant and imaginative throughout, I hope you enjoy it as much I as have and still do (three years on!).

ARRAY(0xae000f0c)

Ohio [Limited Edition]
Ohio [Limited Edition] by Lambchop (Audio CD - 2008)