5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent escape route from slavery to inkjets
November 2013 - printer still working perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2011 - printer still working perfectly. So pleased I bought it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote this review when I had had the printer for about three...
Published on 13 Jan 2009 by Martin A

3.0 out of 5 stars Will only print 1500 pages at 5%
I have just bought the HL-2035 printer to supplement my excellent HL-2030, which I purchased several years ago.
Brother has not changed the visible look of the printer or toner cartridge. However they have been working hard on the HL-2035 They have managed to increase print speed from 16 ppm to 18 ppm. The page out put from the toner cartage has not been forgotten...
Published on 14 Sep 2009 by P. Jarman

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent escape route from slavery to inkjets, 13 Jan 2009
Martin A (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother HL-2035 Compact Mono Laser Printer (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
November 2013 - printer still working perfectly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2011 - printer still working perfectly. So pleased I bought it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote this review when I had had the printer for about three months. I have now had it for over a year and I have used it almost daily, printing several pages per day on average. It has worked perfectly during that time, without a single paper jam nor any other problem. The original toner cartridge it came with was replaced after some months of use and the replacement cartridge is still going strong.

The saving of time compared with an inkjet printer is a very real bonus. You save time in both not having to wait minutes while a document is printed and in not having to mess around cleaning printing heads and changing cartridges whenever the inkjet decides to start printing streaky documents.

I am delighted that I bought this printer and I recommend it as reliable, economical and trouble-free.

12 November 2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original review...

I had got very fed up with inkjet printers - drying up if not used for a while, gobbling expensive ink cartridges, frequently needing head cleaning - which takes time and gobbles up more expensive ink. I had also felt ripped off by the inkjet printer makers doing their best to make it difficult to use third party or refilled cartridges. I had thought of laser printers as something for business users - not for the individual who might print only a few pages in a week. But a friend suggested I look at laser printers.

I ordered the Brother HL-2035 from Amazon in France [where I live] and it arrived in a day or so. That was early October 2008. I also ordered a spare toner cartridge, ready for when the cartridge supplied with the printer expired. Three months later, after printing probably more than 500 pages with the original cartridge, the spare toner cartridge still remains in its box.

A very nice feature of the printer is that, after you have plugged it in for the first time, it will (on command) print a test page before you even connect it to the computer, so you can have confidence it is working. [This feature disappears once the printer has been connected to the computer, if I remember correctly.]

I followed the installation instructions and had no problems whatever installing it on my PC (windows 2000). I used a long USB cable, so it can sit where there is space at the other side of the room.

I have now been using it for over three months, probably averaging several pages daily. I think I have used more than a complete pack of 500 sheets since I have had it. It sits there silently, permanently switched on and it comes to life within a few seconds when required to print. Unlike the office laser printers of some years back, it does not make any unpleasant smells.

It prints much faster than an inkjet printer, something I now appreciate. I had not foreseen how useful its greater speed would be. There is also the benefit that you can touch its printed pages with wet fingers without having the ink run.

The prints, whether black/white pictures or text, are delightfully crisp and clear. Black is black, dark grey is dark grey, light grey is light grey, white is white and there are never any streaks or bands across the page.

Criticisms? It does not print colour - but no-one expects a B/W laser printer to do so. I miss not having colour less than I imagined I would. It prints envelopes OK, but some makes of cheap envelope come out a bit wrinkled at the edges - the handbook warns you about this. I overcame this problem by finding a make of envelope that works fine with the printer.

Overall - I am delighted with the printer. It has been completely trouble free so far and, assuming my experience is typical, I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone who prints a moderate quantity of output and for whom colour printing is not essential. Its lower operating costs and freedom from problems make it an excellent escape route from slavery to an inkjet printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Mar 2009
Placed the order at 1.00PM and the printer was delivered at 9.00AM the following morning via free super saver delivery!

The printer itself - really easy to setup. I plugged the printer straight into my Mac which detected it without the need for any drivers or other software. Although the printer comes with Mac drivers on a CD, the ones supplied with Leopard (OS X 10.5) work fine so there is no need to install anything extra. The Brother website confirms this. Print quality is excellent. Text is sharp and well defined. I was worried that a cheap laser printer might give me cheap printing results, but that certainly does not appear to be the case. The printer warms up quickly when you switch it on and prints documents very fast. Certainly much faster than traditional inkjet printers.

Yes, there are even cheaper laser printers available by companies such as Samsung, but I doubt these printers will last as long as this one will. This printer seems very well constructed compared with other printers I have seen. Brother consumables are traditionally cheaper than rival brands too which was what attracted me to this model in the first place.

As other reviewers have commented, it is a little on the noisy side. A fan is located on the right hand side which blows out quite a lot of hot air. But I really don't see this as a major problem if you only plan to use it for short periods. No USB cable is supplied, but these are available for a few quid direct from Amazon in any length you want.

Probably the best Amazon purchase I've made in the last few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laser printer for the money, 6 Oct 2008
A. M. Harding "Andy H" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I would never have purchased this printer if it wasn't for the price and i was a little worried that it would be a bad decision. Its certainly not the quietest or the fastest I have had but the printing quality is good and the cartridges seem to last for longer than your average home use printer. No major jamming issues as yet and no other problems to note.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Buy, 4 Feb 2009
I bought this printer for my laptop, I didn't want to spend too much, nor did I want anything fancy. This printer is great, just right for me, prints quickly (some would consider it noisy I daresay, but it really doesn't bother me) and cleanly. It was pretty easy to set up, but the instructions do not appear to tell the installer to restart the computer. I couldn't work out why it didn't work at first, but thinking about installing other new programmes remembered the restart business, and once I'd done that it was fine. I had read on other reviews that the paper sometimes kind of creases up after going through, but I think this is only when the paper is still warm, so when it cools down it is nice and flat. I would highly recommend it! At this price I have no grumbles about it at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother HL 2035, 2 Dec 2008
P. Cruse (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this printer for my brothers to use as I was sick of them using up all my ink in my old printer, the speed and quality of the printer, and the lifetime of the toner, makes for a great machine. I am entirely satisfied with it and would highly recommend it to anyone. Thanks Ryman

4.0 out of 5 stars brother hl2035, 12 Oct 2008
M. Xia "xm" - See all my reviews
I am intrigued to know how it is possible to produce a laser printer for under £50 with the quality of printing this good! The ppm is impressive for its size and the set-up is simple. I found that the mains lead is a little short and barely reached the plug from my desk but apart from that there is not much to fault about it. The cartridges are quite expensive to replace but only given the cost of the printer. However, i have had mine for three weeks and have barely used any ink so i don't think the running costs are going to be an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality printing for next to nothing, 1 Feb 2009
K. L. Wren "K L Wren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I used inkjet printers for years in my home-office and seemed to be replacing cartridges at least every month.

These have now been replaced with the Brother HL2035 and how I regret not switching earlier. The print quality is superb (much better than inkjet), it's fast (faster than inkjet), has a barely noticable warm-up time and, although I'm printing far more than I ever did with the old inkjets, the toner cartridges seem to last at least 18x as long. With replacement toner cartridges available at little more than a basic ink cartridge, improved quality printing is available at a very modest cost.

If my current printer ever wears out then I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Term Relationship, 13 Sep 2009
D. L. George "wilscombe" (Cirencester, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had one of these for just under ten years and would strongly recommend it. From memory it prints around 20,000 pages per cartidge and I bought the last one for approx £20 through Ebay. Paper is loaded into the single tray in the base. Other media (eg envelopes) are loaded through the slot in the front and take priority over the paper tray. One quibble: the slot is set up for the smaller US A4 and the larger UK A4 envelope will not go through. I usually print the address on ordinary paper and a pair of scissors with a Pritt stick finish the job. Tip: The Word envelope function can be a bit erratic so I use a preconfigured Word file to address envelopes.
Print quality is pretty good and I have produced acceptable A4 B&W photographs on it.
If using Windows, setup usually consists of little more than plugging it in. In practice >95% of my printing (Manuals, maps, letters, etc) can be printed in B&W and I only use my inkjet to print off photos.
It will print quite thick card, providing the rear flap is opened, so that the media stays flat.
If you are not familiar with laser printers: Every once in a while the print will start to fade. Simply take the cartridge out and rock it from side to side to spread the carbon out evenly and use the demagnetizer as instructed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good quality printing, 11 Oct 2008
Ms. N. L. Dudgeon (London) - See all my reviews
I'm really pleased with this laser printer. I am using it at home for my interiors business and having had an ink jet printer for a long time, the difference that you get is striking. I don't have much to compare it against as I've not had a laser printer before but for me, the quality is really brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Laser Printer, 8 Oct 2008
This is a newer version of the Brother HL 2030. It is a great price for a mono laser printer and from what I know about this new version it is just as good as the old one. Haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else and it's free delivery.