5.0 out of 5 stars The best portable mouse to date
Published on 14 Feb 2009 by John Nunn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there for the price
The design concept is great and performance is fine although the Bluetooth is quite weak. I had to buy a 1m USM extension cable so that the dongle is on my desk rather than in my PC which is underneath
The idea of folding it up to save batteries is good
Published on 5 Jun 2011 by Fat man in the bathtub

5.0 out of 5 stars The best portable mouse to date, 14 Feb 2009
John Nunn (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
What a great portable mouse. This is one of best designed portable mice I have ever used. Not only does it look nice, it is a pleasure to use. It fits into your hand perfectly and glides across the working surface with almost frictionless grace. The accuracy of the device is superb thanks to laser optics, making it more that suitable for detailed graphics work as well as gaming applications.

The wireless receiver is very small and only protrudes from the USB port slightly. When travelling the USB receiver is held securely to the mouse by a magnetic clamp, the mouse then folds up for easy storage. An included pouch ensures the mouse does not get scratched in transit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek & comfy, 3 Oct 2008
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
The Arc Mouse is an exquisitely designed product with a feel of high quality to its build. It's light for a wireless mouse and glides across work surfaces with minimal effort. The buttons are quiet and require very little force to press, making this a very comfortable mouse to use.

The mouse's most unique feature is its fold-away design, which also functions as its 'off switch' for storing in its magnetically-closing leather pouch. The hinge is made of steel so it's very robust. It also snaps into the 'closed' and 'opened' positions. The tiny wireless USB transceiver stows securely in place (magnetically) on the mouse's underside ensuring that it never gets lost.

The Arc Mouse has a 'Back' button on the left, which should ideally be placed closer to the middle of the side (where it could more easily be reached with the thumb), instead of at the tip where it's placed, but this is a minor point and not a flaw by any means. The top surface is made of a rubberised plastic, edged with a shiny piano-black bezel.

The Arc Mouse uses a laser to track movement and is very sensitive and precise. It's excellent in both office applications as well as in gaming.

It looks modern, it's very comfortable to use and is of a very good quality. I love it and highly recommend it to anyone is search of an excellent wireless mouse.

UPDATE (2012/07/19):
I've been using these for over three years now, and still love them. I've got one at the office and one at home. As a draughtsman and gamer I use the mouse wheel a lot. That said, the wheel is the one flaw on this mouse. It is pretty much guaranteed to fail after some six months of heavy use. This is very disappointing, as the rest of the mouse is perfect. Still, even with this one flaw, I keep replacing them with new ones as I've yet to find a better alternative.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite there for the price, 5 Jun 2011
The idea of folding it up to save batteries is good
The only flaw is the left button on the side which controls the very useful 'back a page' on internet explorer. It assumes that your thumb is about 15mm longer than it is so if you're going to use this a lot (as I do) you're better off with the Microsoft 5000 which I had before where the button actually sits under your thumb. On the 5000 you also get a right side button. Oh, and it's cheaper!
Arc mouse probably the best choice if you use a laptop and need something that folds out but for long term term desktop use get the 5000

1.0 out of 5 stars Live fast die young, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
If this mouse could have a moto it would be live fast die young.

I was immediately attracted to the sleek design, gorgeous curves and lightweight body. I loved how easily the Arc folded away neatly and the usb fitted so snug into the mouse. It traveled with me for a couple of months living happily in my laptop bag. Fast becoming the envy of my colleagues, I believed I had found the perfect mouse. then I noticed a change. The smooth, glossy grey surface of the usb soon began to discolour, largely due to rubbing against my laptop bag interior. The black stains and discolouration only got worse and could not be removed. I could live with this, however, after a couple of months the wheel stopped working - I spun the wheel but there was no resistance, the connection had gone and wheel spun freely with no effect whatsoever. I could not continue the relationship any longer. Whilst the mouse was perfectly formed, beautiful to look at and a joy to use I needed that wheel to work so I had to let it go and find another mouse. I have not been able to find another as great as this and I cannot afford another at this price to have it last only a short while.

It's life was cut short but I shall remember fondly the brief relationship we had.

3.0 out of 5 stars ARC Mouse Review, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
Product is excellent. However, first item worked only for 24hrs and had to be returned for a replacement. Overall very pleased. Only downside is the right thumb click button is too far forward so making it impossible to use.Dont forget to download the Inteli point mouse software and drivers.Item is portable, lightweight and accurate. Very easy to use and work with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not robust, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
I liked the look of this mouse and Amazon had it for a great price compared to PC World or other high street locations.

Ordered it - arrived in a timely fashion - but the mouse lasted about 2 weeks. A lot of this is down to my childrens constant mashing of the buttons while they played various games.

It's a nice mouse for a casual internet user, someone who doesn't play games themselves and doesn't have kids. It isn't robust enough to put up with the loving attention of an 11 year old.

2.0 out of 5 stars It works but thats about it....., 12 Nov 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
The mouse does exactly what it the box says it will. It looks stylish, the wireless response is reasonable, it folds up to be quite small and portable.

BUT

It is very uncomfortable to use. The mouse forces you to have your hand perfectly level with the surface which most mice don't. They slant to the side. After about 1/2 and hour of light use I felt a lot of strain on my wrist.
Also unless you have very long fingers, you will have a hard time getting to the button on the side.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as comfortable as it claims, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
I purchased this mouse for it's aesthetic virtues as I was using it in a photo shoot. However I was also interested in replacing my existing standard optical Microsoft mouse which I've had for a few years now.

The shape of the Arc mouse is quite pleasing, as is the concept of a folding mouse for portability. I also liked the miniature receiver that clicks into underside. They're the good points.

The reality is I won't use this mouse to replace my existing mouse because it's flawed! The side buttons are so far forward that you would need thumbs longer than your fingers to press them whilst your hand is in a relaxed/neutral position. For an ergonimic mouse this is unforgivable! They've been forced that far forward by the battery compartment, which itself is forced forward to provide the space for... you've guessed it, the arc!

One other niggle is the cheapness, the plastics feel cheap. I think again the arc shape contributes to this as it's reducing the weight of the mouse and making it feel cheaper.

So, in summary, nice idea but I wouldn't buy another until these things are improved. If you need a portable mouse, buy a miniature one, if you need a comfortable every day mouse, buy a standard one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great futuristic looking mouse, 15 Jan 2009
C. Boulter "chrisbbacon" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
I've had a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000 for a year or two and its been great. Sadly it stopped working for some reason. The best thing about it was its clip on USB transceiver. Happily Microsoft have made an even better version in the Arc mouse.

After much deliberating I decided to go for the Arc Mouse. I am more than happy with it! Well done microsoft!

Pros:

Attractive
Easy to use
Glides across the table
Excellent portability with magnetic USB transceiver and foldability
Good size

Cons:
Isn't the best at fine detail use (i.e. going to a precise point on screen, while using a drawing or mapping program)

LOTS of pros, 1 con. Its the BEST. Buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging) (Accessory)
The mouse looks good, and has a nice feel. The USB key is small and fits well inside the mouse - which is itself tiny when folded up.

It would almost be perfect, if it worked for more than a month without breaking. Indeed, the second I plugged it into a windows 7 laptop, after owning it for less than a month, it broke completely. From what I can tell, it randomly breaking is fairly common - so beware.

I don't often write reviews, but it was a complete waste of £25, so I think people should be made aware.

Microsoft Arc Mouse - Black  (Retail Packaging)