on 12 August 2009
I've had mine now for a couple of weeks. This ice cream maker is superb. I had been considering the type with its own freezer but just couldn't convince myself to spend that much. I'm glad I didn't. This ice cream maker makes ice cream with such a beautiful smooth texture that I find it hard to believe that the expensive models can improve on it.

This maker uses a 'gel' filled bowl that has to be pre-frozen. My last one was the same, but I could not get the ice cream to freeze properly. The insulation on the bowl of the ICE30 is very thick and so it only warms up slowly. It also has a large capacity - 2 litres - so you can make a good amount in one go (and what will do a lot will do a little). However, it is a very large bowl so you need plenty of freezer space. I could not get it on either of the fast freeze shelves of my new freezer so it has to go in one of the drawers.

Unlike most machines of this kind, the blade is static and the bowl turns. I like this, its less noisy and means that there is a lovely big hole in the lid to pour stuff through. However, this means that the main unit is also big so you will need cupboard space for it. On the upside, it looks really smart so is looks fine if you have to leave it on the surface.

I've spent some time struggling to make ice cream with my old machine before it gave up the ghost so here is the benefit of my experiance:

1) THE most important thing is to have the bowl REALLY cold. Check your freezer. My old one was (as we discovered) on the way out so wasn't maintaining a low enough temperature. Ice cream freezes below 0 C so the bowl needs to be very cold. It must be at least -15. I now put my freezer on fast freeze for 4 -5 hours before I use the bowl. This lowers the freezer to -27. I should imagine that 'Super' (like my old freezer) would do the same.

2) Chill everything before hand (even if you've just mixed milk with cream stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours).

3) Sugar (and alcohol) lower the freezing point. That means it has to be even colder to freeze (or will take longer). Try reducing the amount in the recipe.

4) Try making a smaller quantity (it will take less time to freeze)

5) Leaving it churning beyond 40 mins is pointless. If it isn't frozen yet it wont.

6) Don't expect solid ice cream at the end. Its more like 'Mr Whippy'. Pour it into a box and freeze it for a few hours to make it hard.

Hope that helps
55 comments|439 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2009
We received ours in the post yesterday and immediately cleaned and froze our canister so that we could make ice cream today. (We chose pistachio.) Not including the time it took to prepare the nuts- making what we think REALLY IS the best ice cream we've ever had was quite quick and easy. It took about 30 minutes from liquid to firm - then, into the freezer for an hour to firm up. We just scooped our very first serving and are thrilled with the results. My husband is very hard to please....
The components are easy to assemble, easy to clean and certainly sturdy.
There were no signs of the motor struggling, even when the ice cream was quite firm and there were a couple cups of mostly whole pistachios in it.
The ice cream froze quickly enough that there were no perceptible ice crystals. The result was incredibly smooth; Perfect in fact.
One note: Something that worried me at first- When the ice cream is nice and thick, like soft-serve- either serve IMMEDIATELY or transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer to firm up.
PLEASE NOTE: I was worried because the ice cream at the top and centre of the canister was very soft, whereas the ice cream up against the sides and bottom was as hard as the firmest ice cream you'll ever get from the grocery. I sort of quickly folded these varying textures together, hoped for the best and half expected hard lumps and re-frozen-tasting crystally bits. I need not have worried. After a couple of hours in the freezer, the texture all evens out and the whole batch really is consistent and lovely. I'd pay double for this machine. I just wish I had all the time in the world to try out all the recipes running through my mind!
BUY THIS ONE!
33 comments|263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
I have had the ICE30 since June 2011 and it makes the Best ice cream I've ever had.

In the video I show you
How to set it up
How to make a quick ice cream recipe
How Noisy the Machine is
What the Ice Cream is like
How you clean it

OK, this machine is noisy, there's no escaping that, but I've still given it 5 stars. Why? quite simply because it makes the best ice cream I've ever tasted. If you want a quiet ice cream maker, you can always buy a Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book. which is a good ice cream maker, but the ice cream just isn't as good as what you get from the Cuisinart. In fact I would be willing to bet that you won't get better ice cream from any other home ice cream maker, freezer bowl or fully automatic.

About the Machine
This is a freezer bowl ice cream maker which means that the bowl needs to be pre-frozen for at least 12hrs before you use it.
Your freezer must be -17oc or below for it to freeze the bowl properly.
The size of the bowl is - Width = 20cm / Height = 17cm
(It's a really good idea to check that the bowl will fit in your freezer before you buy it).
If you've got a chest freezer, or an American fridge freezer you should be OK, but you might struggle if you have draws.

Product Specs
2L Bowl makes over 1kg of Ice Cream
Bowl needs to be frozen for at least 12 hrs before use (this will depend on your freezer)
Churn Time - 25 - 40 mins (depending on Recipe)
The body of the machine is Width = 21cm / Height = 29cm

The reason that the Cuisinart ICE30 makes such good ice cream is because

1. It has a nice big bowl
2. The lid lets lots of air into the mixture
3. It's the bowl that spins round, not the churn arm.

These 3 things allow more air to get into the mixture, which gives you thicker and fluffier ice cream.
No other ice cream maker on the market works in this way, so you won't get ice cream of this quality from any other machine (not even from a fully automatic).

What I also love about this machine is it's simplicity. When you read reviews for other ice cream makers, you read about a lot of them having problems, such as the lid not going on, or the churn arm sticking.
I've had my ice cream maker since June 2011, and I've never had any problems with mine at all.

What I like about My Cuisinart ICE30

1. It's Very Easy to Use - Setting it up is a breeze, and the on / off switch is a basic dial that you just turn on and off as you need it.
2. The lid just twists on and off very easily
3. The churn arm sits inside the machine. It is not driven through the lid, which means you never have any problems getting the lid on and off.
4. The big opening in the lid makes it really easy to add your ingredients.
5. The bowl is really easy to get in and out of the machine, so there's absolutely no faffing about there either.
6. It's also really easy to clean

I always say that the easier a machine is to use, the more you'll use it. And this machine is so easy to use, you'll want to use it all the time (I use mine a couple of times a month)

The only negative about this machine is that it is noisy. I personally cannot stand to be in the same room with it while it's churning. But this is easily solved by leaving the kitchen. I used to own the quietest ice cream maker you can by, and given the choice between that one and this, I would choose the Cuisinart ICE30 everyday of the week over the other because the ice cream is just so damn good.
However, if you live open plan, this might not be the best ice cream maker for you.

Overall
I would say that if your looking to buy an ice cream maker, you won't go far wrong with the Cuisinart ICE30. It is probably the most expensive freezer bowl ice cream maker you can by, but to me I think it's worth it. It's not plasticky in the slightest, and you'll never have any problems attaching the lid or the churn arm. Plus it comes with a 5 year guarantee, whereas most come with only a 1 year guarantee.
Ice cream makers can be quite expensive, especially the fully automatics. I would say that if you have the room for a freezer bowl in your freezer, save your money and get yourself a Cuisinart ICE30. You won't regret it.
99 comments|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2009
I was highly impressed with this ice cream maker. The bowl is a larger capacity, which may be problematic if trying to fit it in a small freezer. However, the ice cream and sorbets it produces are excellent, with a lovely smooth texture which stays smooth even when stored in the freezer. My husband was delighted as I was able to recreate a flavour of ice cream which is no longer avaliable in the shops to a professional standard. I would highly recommend this machine. We haven't had to buy any ice cream since this arrived.
on 6 September 2009
Got the machine as a present from my wish list together with the Ben and Jerry recipe book. I love this machine, it makes wonderfully creamy and smooth ice cream in 25 minutes. So far I have made three batches, chocolate (twice) and banana and strawberry, both to die for.

It is big (nut not huge) so you will need some storage for it. You will also need space in the freezer to keep the bowl, I just always keep it there so I don't have to plan in advance (otherwise you need to put it in the freezer at least 12 hours before you want to use it)

It makes a bit of noise but you only need to have it on for 20-30 mins so it is bearable, very easy to clean.

I love the fact that you can get creative and make your own flavours, obviously bear in mind that the better the quality of your ingredients the better the taste of your ice cream, use ripe fruit and I tend to use organic ingredients (eggs, milk, cream, etc).

Ice cream comes out really nice and soft, if you like it firm all you have to do is transfer it to a container and leave it in the freezer for an hour or two before serving.

The machine comes with a few recipes so you can get started straight away but I also recommend the Ben and Jerry book, some brilliant recipes in it although bear in mind that is an american book and measurements are in cups and some ingredients sound a bit strange but nothing you can't solve by google (i.e. heavy cream=double cream, heath bar=dime bar, etc).
on 12 February 2009
this ice cream machine is great if you want to make homemade ice cream without paying for expensive machines. its simple , practical ,easy to clean, very low maintenance. originally i wanted the 258 pound cuisinart ice cream machine but i just couldn't come to paying that kind of money for something i had not ever made before. this model came just in time!
just make sure you have a freezer with ample room for the bowl , it's quite big!
the ice cream is great , i have many fans ( family) that lick there lips when they come over hoping i've made a batch
one tip: when mixing ingredients and use eggs, beat them with a mixer rather than by hand , it makes the ice cream fluffier , less stiff after it has frozen! enjoy!!!
77 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2009
Had a cheap ice-cream maker before and bought this one on an impulse, I felt really guilty about the spending, even though a reasonable price... just incase it ended up at the back of a cupboard! However the results are convincing - even my grumpy Scottish partner has had to admit that he's really enjoying, not only regular fresh ice cream, but having a stock of various 'left over' flavours in the fridge!

A little noisy, but only for a short time. I'm lucky enough to be able to shut it away in the utility room and would definately recommend having a door shut between you and it!

I'm really pleased with it, as are friends and neighbours who are definately enjoying the spoils while I'm trying tomake sure their wasitlines expand at the same rate as ours!

Making chocolate ice-cream created a perfect activity for two young visitors at the weekend... Had them baching packets of choc buttons to add at the end... while the grown-ups waited for the addition of a splash of rum!

Trying really hard not to make or eat too much but it's sooo easy to make up your own flavours, adding ingredients to a base recipe!

Favourites to date... Fresh Strawberry & Ameretto, Rum & Raison, Chocolate (at last a good use for all that cocoa powder!)

Next on the list to try... Mango then Pear - Sorbet or gelato... not sure which yet!
on 18 August 2011
I've had this for a week or so and made 3 varieties of Ice Cream with it. The recipes are supplied though I did make a plain coffee flavoured one using granules and that was "Yummy".
I made strawberry using the supplied recipe which neglected to tell me to put the half of the strawberries that were puréed in the mix.
I did and 5 minutes before I expected it to be ready I added the chopped strawberries. There wasn't enough room so I had to scoop some out and pop that in the fridge whilst that in the machine finished off. After scooping out the ice cream I put the surplus back in for 6 minutes and that made good ice cream too.
I found the bits of strawberry a disappointment as they were a bit like icicles in the ice cream so next time I'll purée the lot as otherwise it was super.
I've made some with Crème Fraiche and it worked well.
My only complaint is that it is a bit noisy but you can take the edge off that by draping a towel over the machine whilst it's running.

I'm pleased with my purchase.
on 2 November 2011
I've had this machine for a few weeks now, and it is my favourite toy at the moment. It produces the best ice cream I've ever tasted (an opinion shared by my family and friends) and is one of the few machines on the market that will actually make a decent quantity. Very easy to use (you turn it on, you turn it off) and the wide hole in the lid means it is less messy than some other machines. The ice cream is very soft when fresh but will harden to a lovely, "scoopable" texture in the freezer.

Of course, the end product is not only down to the machine but also the recipe used. I generally find the vanilla recipe provided foolproof and use it as a base, adding my own flavours. I have tried recipes from other books and the results have been mixed.

A word of caution, however: The bowl is quite large (approx 15cm h x 18 cm diam.) so make sure you have room for it in your freezer before purchasing. It is also worth mentioning that if you use metal utensils in the bowl it will scratch (this is not noted in the manual).
on 1 January 2013
I have been a keen domestic ice-cream maker for many years and have always used a machine of this basic type. That is: One that uses a paddle to churn the mixture as it freezes inside a double-walled bowl filled with freezer fluid. The bowl must be deep frozen in your freezer before use. This is the third machine of this type that I have owned and it is easily the best. For many years I owned a good machine that was the predecessor of this one: Magimix Le Glacier 1.5 Ltr Ice Cream Maker (White). After many years of use, the freezer block fractured and leaked and I was intending to simply buy the same again. However, tempted by the amazingly low price, I replaced it with this model by Andrew James: Andrew James Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yoghurt Maker Machine 1.45 Litre + 128 Page Recipe Book - As voted "Best Buy" Ice Cream Maker By Which Magazine. Unfortunately, in spite of the extraordinary low price and generally good reviews, this turned out to be a bit of a lemon. If you've shelled out good money and haven't used any other machine then the results will probably seem okay, but the poorly designed paddle does not churn and aerate the ice cream in a way that makes a good, light texture. Instead it tends to turn the whole body of the mixture round and round in the bowl, giving a rather solid texture. In the end, I put the failure down to experience and was bought the Cusinart as a present. This, thankfully, is outstanding. It uses a slightly different principle by rotating the whole bowl around a fixed paddle. In spite of the apparent eccentricity of this arrangement, it works beautifully and adding ingredients during churning is easier. The Cusinart is a masterpiece of industrial design and quieter and more effective than any other machine that I have used. Such is Cusinart's confidence in their machine; they give a 5 year guarantee. (I note that several reviewers comment on this being a noisy machine. I can only speak from experience and say that it is noticeably quieter than any other machine that I have used. Mind you, no ice cream maker of this type will ever be described as quiet!). The bowl is described as 2 litres in volume - larger than is usual - and this makes it perfect for all of the recipes that I commonly use. The booklet that comes with the machine is rather functional and contains only a limited number of recipes and so I would advise any beginner to buy one of the many recipe books that you can find recommended on Amazon. I have personally found this one excellent: Simply Ices
I would strongly recommend this Cusinart machine. If it is just too expensive then try the larger version of the Magimix. However, I would advise anyone to avoid the Andrew James model in spite of the extremely low price. (Perhaps AJ are aware of it's shortcomings? Is this why it's being sold at such a low price by the manufacturer themselves?)

Cusinart also make an impressive bench top design with built-in refrigeration. Cuisinart Professional Ice Cream Maker I can't see how it can possibly be an improvement on the Ice30 but you might get it if you (a) can't get the freezer bowl into your freezer, (b) have acres of bench top space in your kitchen, (c) are regularly making industrial quantities of ice cream OR (d) have so much money that you you don't know what to do with it next.

As a reward for slogging through my review - my own invention. Easy Coconut ice cream: Dissolve 4oz caster/icing sugar in one large (14oz) can of coconut milk [the low fat version works just as well]. Now mix and chill this with 10 fl oz double or whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of Malibu. Add these to the rotating drum of the ice cream maker. Shortly before the mixture is fully frozen add 2 oz dessicated coconut.