1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 5 Aug 2008
I recently decided that it was long overdue time for me to start moving the databases in my programs away from Sleepycat's Berkeley DB (recently purchased by Oracle, whom I don't trust) to SQL databases. Since I wanted built-in databases, SQLite seemed to be the only serious contender. I didn't really have much experience with SQL databases, so I needed a comprehensive book that would teach me about SQL as well as this specific database.

Michael Owens' book didn't disappoint me. It gave me a solid grounding in SQL and taught me how to use SQLite efficiently. The SQL material covers both relational theory and the actual language, while the SQLite specific material covers the use of the 'C' API, and the internals of how SQLite works. I doubt that most people would be likely to do programming at the latter level, but a knowledge of what goes on 'under the hood' makes it easier to program at a higher level. Comprehensive appendices cover an SQL alphabetical reference, and all the 'C' API functions.

I liked this book and thought it was well worth the money I paid for it.

Highly recommended.