Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 7 January 2010
OK, so look. Like probably a lot of other people out there in the big wide world that used to sneak into the cinema with one of their parents to see a `slasher' movie in the late 70's and 80's, I am pretty used to our beloved psychopaths like Jason, Michael and Freddy thinking up imaginative deaths for all of the beautiful Hollywood College and University teens. Unfortunately, the deranged school teacher doing the whacking in this film sets out with just his trusty pocket knife to get closer to the young girl that he has a crush on, and therein lays the downfall of this movie. You can only take so much knife to the stomach or throat slitting before everything starts getting a little bit too samey, especially as the movie really does not seems to have too much of a plot, and even the plot is has seems full of holes ?

Why was the teacher infatuated with his victim ? Why would the Police let a Prom carry on knowing that a serial killer was in the building ? Why do the teens not recognise the killer without a beard ?

However, it is still worth a watch and I think the main girl character was played quite well, and to me that is really the only shinning light in this movie.

Nothing new, and certainly nothing that the aimed audience is going to appreciate too much. 3 out of 10.
on 19 August 2013
Brilliant film I would definitely recommend that you watch it if you don't mind gory and pop out films I give it 5 stars
on 15 December 2011
I like a good slasher movie as much as the next person, but from the outset, this one is very formulaic, slow and predictable.
The scene is set some years earlier with the baddie killing the heroine's family. It's briefly explained that he was an obsessive teacher but doesn't really go far enough to explain why this chap is so intent on killing the object of his desire.
The film moves on at a slow pace, eventually centring around a high school senior prom, with the typical characters of a super bitch surrounded by an adoring entourage, in pursuit of being Prom Queen. The Heroine and her friends are of course not part of that group.
The man escapes from his psycho ward, finds the prom and starts killing people in a frankly, dull way for a slasher movie.
I'll not spoil the ending other than I was glad to get there.
The basic concept of the story is fine, but it could have filled out in a far better way, giving us a good understanding of this teacher and his obsession with perhaps a vengeance twist against the school, staff and students. This isn't a film you need to try and think through, which for me is probably what lets it down.
on 26 February 2012
I have seen this film like a million times, and can't get enough of it! It has a brilliant plot line and is intense throughout the film. I still get shocked at moments even though I am fully aware of what's going to happen. I absolutely love Johnathon Schaech and loved him even more in this movie. It's nice to see him playing a Psychotic role. And at one point, I almost... very nearly... feel sorry for him, even though he is psychotic.

I highly recommend this film for people who love thriller movies. Good Good Film!!
on 9 October 2009
I was'nt sure this film would match the standards of the original, but I was plesently surprised.
The acting is quite good and they've brought the film into the 21st centry by moderising it up a bit.
At times i thought it got a little slow but it soon picked back up.
I wouldnt say this film was the scaryist film I've seen but then again It is not the worst.
If you like your teen slasher flicks like Scream I think you might enjoy this.
on 29 April 2012
I actually watched this movie before the original prom night(which i wasted 90 mins of my life on) and thought this one was a 1000 times better.
It has a good story line with good acting i thought. Its also very jumpy in places but overall its just your typical predictable horror flick with nothing new to offer.
I would however recommend this movie to horror film lovers!!
on 5 September 2008
Prom Night was overall an awful film; I felt deep remorse for buying the film after watching the thoughless plot. There was a complete lack of character development, not one of the characters had any distinctive personality traits. The film mainly involves a physco who thrives for someone he loves to the extent where he murders any one who gets in his way. The film ends in the most typical way considering the victim is finally saved and the physco is killed. The film manages to leave the majority of the audience unenternained and not at all pleased with film.
Overall I strongly recommend you don't buy this film.
on 6 October 2009
There are a few negative reviews about this film, of which I cannot understand, as I really enjoyed this film, I thought this film was very entertaining from start to finish, I recommend this film.
on 28 January 2010
I got this off my sister for free, who dosent really like horrors. I also bought it expecting to be a dull, pointless thriller, so I only watched it after a week. But as soon as the movie started, I regretted leaving it for a week.

Let's start with the first part. The part where Donna watches her family get mudered by her derranged, phychopath of a 'secret' admirer. The acting is amazing and Richard plays the part really well. The penny drops when Richard says 'where's Donna? She's the one I want!' whilst brutally mudering Donna's mother. Overall, amazing.

Next, we get to the point where Richard gets into the hotel where Donna's prom night party is. I only realized that Richard shaved his hair to hide his identity right up until he gives Donna strange looks and looks away angrily when Donna and her boyfreind kiss. I think that part keeps the flow and suspense right up high.

The movie from here whizzes past with murders and suspense, mixxed with love and hate.

As the fantastic conclusion draws closer, you suddenly realize the effort put into this genuine horror, and you also realize what a truly amazing film this is.

I reccomend this movie to those who love a movie that has a fantastic storyline and plot, and a genuine scare here and there. Five stars all the way.

Fantastic
VINE VOICEon 14 April 2009
`Prom Night' is about a teenage girl whose family were murdered by an obsessed psychopath 3 years ago, she still has re-occurring nightmares about the night it happened but wants to enjoy her prom night and forget about it. Only the psycho who did it has escaped from the maximum security prison he's been kept at and is now heading to the hotel where the prom is being held to finish off what he started.

I quite liked the original Prom Night film starring Jamie Lee Curtis from the early 80's so I was quite looking forward to seeing what the remake would be like, especially as I enjoyed the recent remakes of Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hitcher which are all from the same era, but this was terrible. Other than that there's a prom in this film and the original and a knife wielding psycho on the loose, there is literally nothing that is similar to the two at all. This felt more like a Scary Movie or Scream film than the suspenseful horror thriller that the original was. Everything is bad about this film - the acting, the script, the story, the presentation. The killer was laughable and not scary in the slightest - it also didn't explain why he did what he did unlike the original, the lead characters were all extremely annoying and arrogant, the killings were just pointless and unnecessary, the ending was a complete anti-climax...I could go on and on with this films faults all day, it is that bad!

Overall you can obviously see I didn't like this movie so I strongly recommend avoiding this and watch the original instead.