5.0 out of 5 stars A rare gem, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Panasonic DMCLX3 Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 2.5x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The Panasonic LX3 comes out consistently as a 'winner' in even the most serious tests and reviews, globally. However, with many years of experience with the disappointing LX1 in mind (extremely noisy sensor), I was sceptical at first. Hence, I was more favourably predisposed towards the similarly priced Canon G10.

Three considerations made me choose in favour of the LX3, however: portability, the beautiful LEICA wide-angle lens and the reported mediocre low light performance of the G10. It turned out to be a good choice. The camera slips more or less easily in your pocket, and the pictures are simply stunning - even in very low light conditions.

From amateur ('just-press-the-button' in the Intelligent Auto setting) to semi-professional (full manual control), most will find it easy to use this little gem.

One word of caution: you won't get the 'normal' zoom. If you want that, please consider buying something else ... However, if you are not scared of embracing a creative challenge, this incredibly light sensitive wide-angle lens will soon make you forget about a potent zoom.

For me, it brought the fun back into taking pictures, and I was delighted to hear people again ask me what camera I was using upon seeing my pictures - something last witnessed when still shooting on film with my LEICA camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Cracker!!!, 14 Dec 2008
Greer Alwyn (France) - See all my reviews
I decided to treat myself to this camera as a Christmas present after using a Canon Powershot G7 and G9 and I am seriously impressed! I was tempted by the G10 but in the end I felt the extra 4MP of the G10 were not worth it for the price when you see how Panasonic have improved quality over quantity. More megapixels does NOT make a better camera.

What I DON'T like about the LX3

The door for the battery/SD card is a bit flimsy and I have a feeling that it could get broken easily.

Zoom range -- I knew it was v.short before I bought it and yes it IS very short at just 60mm and only 2.5x from the 24mm wide end. But...if you are willing to drop the MP you can get up to 4.5x optical zoom from it. Granted you will not be making poster size prints from the resulting 3MP images. There is a digital zoom but even looking at them on the playback screen you know it isn't even worth taking them off the card. For emergency use only.

The shutter speed is not showing up in the EXIF information in PhotoShop. I hope Adobe/Panasonic will correct this. I have been using the SilkyPIX software which came with the camera to look up the info after the fact. The info does show up in the camera replay but not in CS3.

um...that's it!

What I DO like about it:

Size --- it IS important and this camera fits easily into my jacket pocket. Much lighter than the G7/G9's I have been using and much less bulky.

Handling -- complaints on the web about the fiddly joystick are exaggerated IMHO, it is easy to use and I am a big lad with big hands. The controls are well laid out, the menus are easy to navigate and it only took me about 15 minutes to get used to everything having come from a Nikon/Canon background.

Zoom -- that 24mm wide angle is great! And the 16:9 aspect ratio has become my favourite way of shooting almost immediately. It's bloody briliant! Totally, totally, totally love it to pieces!!!

Image Stabilization -- the Canon IS is very good, this appears to me to be far superior. Really impressive.

Lens -- it's a little belter - I'm shooting everything at f2/0 haha!!! I love it!

Image Quality -- what can I say? I'm shooting handheld at ISO80 and have shot a few at ISO400 and the 80s are outstanding and the 400's were acceptable. I've not been over 400 with it yet. I've only been shooting JPEGs with it as I haven't done any serious landscapes yet or snowscapes.

Flash -- I was expecting the flash to be very weak but I was very surprised when I used it and it lit up my living room which is 10 metres long! Perfect for parties! Red eye is not as much of a problem as with the G7/G9 because of where the Flash is located (popped up on the left) and also because there is some very clever software manipulation going on which combined with the double -flash for RE reduction, also processes the image and removes it for you. Clever.

LCD -- 3" big and crystal clear (excuse the pun). Really sharp and bright.

SD performance -- well, I've not been shooting rally cars with it but it performs very well, quick and efficient. I'm using a Lexar 4GB 133x SDHC in it and haven't had any problems firing off bursts of 3,4 and 5 pics.

White Balance. I've left it on Auto and it has coped really well. I have no complaints with it. There is a noted problem with shooting under flourescent lights but I've not tried that yet -- do I REALLY want to take pictures of my co-workers? Nah! A firmware upgrade is due for release by Panasonic tomorrow to improve AWB even more.

I'd give it a 96% rating overall. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine lens, 1 July 2009
R. Natarajan "Rajan" (Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought the Panasonic LX3 instead of TZ7 for my holiday snaps. I was worried that the limited zoom range of LX3 may be limiting. But I have no regrets. The quality of the fast 2-2.8 lens is excellent matching a variety of challenging lighting conditions to produce satisfactory images. The i-auto mode does a great job and I hardly use the flash. Images up to iso 800 are very good but anything above this is too grainy for me. The size is a bit awkward, the need to use a switch every-time to get back to photo from review mode rather cumbersome and I still haven't found a suitable pouch. In summary, an excellent camera that I would unreservedly recommend.
I have just returned from a holiday to Alaska and western Canada. I found this camera extremely versatile producing high quality images every time. The intelligent auto mode works for a variety of lighting conditions. I found exposure compensation program extremely useful. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Gorgeous, 7 Feb 2009
Fabulous. Just the most gorgeous camera I have ever owned. I dabble in amateur photography and have owned the usual range of SLRs including, latterly, digital. But the reality is that the photography I love is the spur of the moment stuff. Especially photographing people without being intrusive. Whether out and about and I spot a special moment, or wanting to capture how my friends look around our dinner table by candle light, it is unlikely I will do well with a big, heavy DSLR.

This beauty of a joy of a camera is one I always have with me in my handbag. It is small, light, unobtrusive and ready in an instant. It reminds of an old Leica from the 1960s.

Best points:
Super fast lens - just amazingly good. Took photos of the snowy landscape at night today - moonlight only. They're fantastic. Also brilliant for photographing people indoors without flash.

Quality of lens - Gorgeous stuff. Outdoors, in bright light, the Canon G10 marginall has the edge. But this is darn close and in other circs it wins.

Super Wide Angle. Amazing outdoor, nature and architectural stuff. Also very useful for interiors ( I am a passionate at creating beautiful homes).

Looks and feel. Small, dark, solid, old fashioned, iconic, great build quality.

I adore it.

Only down sides:
Silly lens cap is a pain. And the manual focus not great. But it is a classic and has CERTAINLY set a new bench mark in "bridge" type cameras which had the ease and size of point and shoot, but the quality and versatility of an SLR. It ain't as good as a good SLR - but it comes surprisingly very close.

Buy and fall in love.

5.0 out of 5 stars LX3 Liitle Beauty, 27 Sep 2008
Sn Baines (st albans, hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Purchased about 3 days ago and haved taken a couple hundred pics in different situations to decide if i would be happy with it,I,m very fussys and use Nikon Dslr s.
First the camera is very very attractive with very good build and def something to show off ,the screen LCD is nothing short of amazing when composing and viewing ,Im fairly dated that i like a Viewfinder but this makes me enjoy liveviewing far more then i thought.
Buttons and controls are very good would prefer the joystick to be a bit bigger tho,weight and size seem almost perfect esp compared to the Canon G9/G10.
The lens is amazing and so fast at the wide and even the tele end @ 2.8, indoor shots whithout flash are no problem , Zoom is smooth and quite and you can tele X 4.5 if you drop the res to 3 meg, personally i leave it at 5 meg and 3.6 zoom for everyday stuff, more then enough megs for most things, Flash is small but very bright and is well away from the lens so reducing redeye, there is a hot shoe but i have not yet seen a flashgun available maybe someone has and can let me know.
lasty image quality ! i can say that 80/100 iso the camera is stunning and colours are fantastic with exposure and white balance spot on, 200 iso is a bit grainy at 100% crop but i have set the noise reduction to the lowest setting ie -2 for detail, put the noise reduction back on and 400 iso is easily acceptable and 800 ok when your desperate, above that and don,t bother but plse bear in mind i,m a Dslr user so again being VERY fussy, also the colours remain nicely staurated at higher iso.
Dynamic range has really surprised me esp with the setting for shadow detail and highlight control set which comes in 3 settings ,very impressive and camera deals with highlights great without any flare or CA.
Wide angle in 16.9 mode is awesome and really opens up a different type of photography for people compared to most lens which tend to start at 35mm altho Nikon and Canon are catching on with there new released high end compacts at 28mm still not as good tho !
Camera has a clever focus tracking for moving objects and really works well and normal focusing is quite quick and copes with lowlight with no problems at all.
To conclude i highy recommend this camera and most people will love it,s build ,rangefinder looks , features and image quality .
Only slight reservation i had was the short zoom range but i guess that would be very hard to have as well as the very fast lens which is great at keeping the iso at 80 for almost everthing.
For that kind of thing i use the Nikon and most far away things tend to need a Dslr for speed anyway.
This LX3 is def a stayer at least untill Olympus release there Micro 4/3 s Compact in about a yr or so !?
Added 04/10/08
Have taken more pics to experiment with the ISO settings and have compared it to pics i still have on my PC when i had the FUJI F31FD.
having played around a bit more i can say the 100iso and 200 iso look identical and 400 iso is very good far better then any compact i,ve ever seen , compared the 800 iso between the Fuji and LX3 and they look about the same (very good 4 compact) BUT zoom in 100% and i can see that the Fuji has smeared all the detail away and looks pretty horrible but the LX3 has kept amazing detail and colour, It looks like the LX3 has broken all the rules for a compact which is amazing as Panasonic never had a great reputation for this but they were obviously on a mission when they came up with the new processer ,couple this iso performance with the fast lens and you def have the best compact for low light to date bar none and i think rivals a budget DSLR with a slow lens and no Stabalization.

Update 14/09/10
Purchase LR3 and this great camera becomes even better in RAW, maybe a stop better then before in noise and a far more film like grain to the noise as well.
Great camera still

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little camera!!, 21 Nov 2008
I've been debating over the LX3 and Canon's G10 for a little while, as I wanted something more portable than my DSLR to keep with me at all times for those unnexpected photography moments! Both the LX3 and G10 are very similar (a few terrible reviews on the Nikon Coolpix P6000 put that out of the running for me) and I had trouble trying to decide which to go for. Once I decided on the LX3, the LX3 was quite a hard camera to get hold of (I avoided Amazon marketplace sellers based on past experience with the cheaper of those sellers sending non-UK models in unsealed boxes). Jessops was no help as they only had display models left in my local shops, and at £50 more than most prices I found online.

I finally got my hands on the LX3 today, going through an independent camera shop online (who were brilliant!).

I haven't had chance to get used to all the features yet, but I can see myself using this more than my SLR. It's compact (which was a selling point over the G10) and my images have been crisp and clear! The picture quality is amazing and some of the picture options I prefer over my DSLR! There's a live histogram which is really useful and the white balance options are also 'live'...so that you can see on the screen the effect of each on your photo before you take it. The display is also very nice!

The only slight downside is that the menu is a little awkward, but I think that may be as I'm used to my Nikon DSLR, and I'm sure I'll get used to it soon!

I make my own handmade jewellery as a hobby, and I've often struggled to get good photos of the things I make. The macro feature on the LX3 is breathtaking! It produces sharp, crisp, bright images when focusing up close.

I read online than when chosing between the Panasonic LX3 and the Canon G10, "you can't really go wrong with either", but I am thrilled I chose to go with the LX3! No wonder it has such good reviews! The LX3 was this month's issue of 'Practical Photography' magazine, where they gave the LX3 a main feature in their Christmas Compact Camera feature, awarding it their 'Gear of the Year' title.

I am very satisfied with this camera! It's brilliant and I cannot say enough good things about it! It has all the manual options to allow you to be creative with your photography, plus the compact size makes it easy to take anywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic picture quality, 29 Oct 2008
I was deciding between this, the Sigma DP1 and the Canon G10 cameras. I prompted for the LX3 on the basis of:

1. I believe that Canon have made an error by increasing the pixels on their camera and keeping the same size sensor chip. I also believe that the G10 was probably slightly too big (more on that later). I was also phased by its pricing as I felt it did not offer anything significantly better than the LX3, while being around 30% more expensive.

2. While I loved the idea of the DP1 and was not phased by its pricing because of the huge sensor chip and the awesome colour and photo quality this is supposed to have, I was scared off by constant references to this being a very difficult camera to take a good photo with. Also the comments that this does not perform in low light warned me off too as I wanted to be able to take good photos indoors and at night.

Was this the right move? Yes absolutely. I am so very happy with the picture quality I get from the camera. Its not an SLR, but I have had friends with SLRs say how this would be their next compact, everyone seems to be uniformly impressed by the photo quality. It has some great customiseable settings, and different virtual film stock, so you can whip it out and in one dial move have it go from being a colour shutter based setting to a dynamic black and white setting for some very impressive black and white photos.

The camera give me a feel of the old Leicas, it feels great in my hand and love snapping picture with it as much as making some lovely compositions. The choice of the large(r - slightly) sensor with the lower pixel count (10mp) makes the pictures razor sharp (no undersensitivity), and great for low light and night time. The flash is also great.

Raw files produced are good too. Although I would prefer to be able to use raw in Photoshop - I understand that Adobe is making an update available for ACR.

I also got the leather cover (from Japan) - although this makes it bulkier and harder to put in the pocket - its still smaller than the g10 in my opinion...

All in all - a great luxury compact camera, with lovely picture quality. I am very satisfied and have recommended it to all my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing build quality - Stunning Pictures, 23 April 2009
Matthew C. Kelly (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Have had this camera for about 6 months, and use it most days. I am amazed at the image quality, as well as the sturdiness of the camera itself. The video quality is good but not great, and i'm annoyed I cant use RAW files in Aperture as RAW was one of the main reasons for buying this camera. When this is addressed it will really be worth buying, but worth taking into consideration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 2 April 2009
P. Spencer (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to carry around when I don't want to take my larger SLR camera. The build quality is excellent and has a nice retro feel. Controls are well laid out and the screen is large and bright.

Only negatives are that to my knowlege, so far you are limited to using the included RAW conversion software as Panasonic have not made available drivers for use in photoshop etc. This is annoying as I would prefer to use photoshop/lightroom.

Also, an external viewfinder is described on Panasonic's website however, these are hard to find and the only ones I could find were ~£170 which is very expensive for what it is. It attaches by a standard hotshoe however, so it could take a cheaper alternative viewfinder if the focal length was correct.

In general I'm really pleased with it and after owning it for a year have hardly used my Nikon DSLR, choosing to use this instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics, 23 May 2009
A. Warren "cygnetdoc" (London England) - See all my reviews
[[ASIN:B001DT02BY PANASONIC Lumix DMC-LX3 - black Including batteries, Charger

I bought this camera after much deliberation as an addition to my DSLR . It is one of the best and most satisfying product I have used. The handling is particularly good and the results are outstanding not in their absolute detail but in the fact that they create the impression of film which I thought digital cameras had lost. The response lag is for the main part undetectable and there are readily available adjustments for exposure focus colour correction and film type. In fact it has more facilties than an old fashioned rangefinder , its handling and response are as good and the results are overall better or at least easier to manipulate and print.

The fact that it is pocketable , has a rapid start up, and is discrete make it a powerful tool . The lack of a viewfinder was my biggest stumbling point, but, in practice,this does not seem to matter that much.
I love every feature of this and rate it as useable as my old Canon F1 which I thought was the bees knees.

Thoroughly completely recommended. I would also recommend an extension so that a filter may be used. A 52mm sleeve is available on ebay and attaching a UV filter makes no intrusion on the wide angle lens.

Post Date

I also recently bought the viewfinder which is an excellent product adding to the usage of the camera at the wide end . Beautifully crafted and a joy to use.