5.0 out of 5 stars Style and high quality audio
Published on 10 Feb. 2013 by M. Stringer

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Bass 'Boom'!
Published 14 months ago by Stephen J. Wilcock

5.0 out of 5 stars Style and high quality audio, 10 Feb. 2013
M. Stringer "rockabilly rebel" (London,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Geneva L Compact HiFi System with iPod Dock - Black (Electronics)
I deliberated about spending £1000 on an iPod dock but realised that I'd bought several cheap docks as bedroom systems/alarm clocks (Memorex/Revo/Orbitsounds etc) and was unsatisfied. Listening to Bose, B and O and big Philips' systems just made me more frustrated. I have to state that I have a high end Bryston/PMC/Atlas Hi-Fi as my main system so proper full range sound and detail are important to me. The systems above were too congested in the mid, too bloomy and over-wrought in the bass and lostoads of detail. I went against my principles and bought the GenevaSound Model L without hearing it. I have no concerns that I made a mistake: it sounds very good indeed. Bass is a touch much for me out of the box, but you can adjust bass and treble in .5 steps up and down. Mid range is far more detailed and coherent than the others, treble not splashy yet good extension. The sound processing that Geneva do makes the music sound far more spacious and stereophonic than the box dimensions allow for alone. It goes loud (97db at 50 cms) with no break up or distortion. Importantly, it also plays quietly without much loss of scale and dynamics.
I wanted a CD player in a second system so docks like BandO (not bad), Bowers and Wilkins (good) and Bose (horrid sound) were out really and the Geneva has a good CD player and FM radio too with good signal receiving.
I bought the stand and to my eyes it looks fabulous, a great design and the glossy sheen is piano quality. It's a heavy (about 16kgs) solid, well made piece of audio kit. It's not audiophile but it's a lot closer than it has a right to be and having heard a lot of docks (I have an Arcam rCube in the kitchen) I believe this is the best sounding by a noticeable margin. It doesn't appear to work with my iPhone 4S (it seems to trigger the CD grabbing mechanism) unless it's in Flight mode but my 3GS and iPod classic are both fine. Conclusion? Love it! It's good enough for a main system.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the Bass 'Boom'!, 14 Dec. 2013
I must agree with the comments from 'Listener' 5/12/13. Having had the Geneva L for 2 months now I cannot tame the excessive bass or defeat the 'booming' sound-it is always present and becomes tiring after a short while.Geneva supply Bass and Treble control via the remote0 is the factory default.Even with the levels set to -3(Bass) and +2(Treble) the 'boom' is still noticeable.
I have not become aware of the Stereo sound offered by the 'Embracing Sound' technology installed in this model-in fact the only real occasion I have been aware of it was playing their own test CD!
What a pity as it looks absolutely stunning especially in the Bright Red colour and get favourable comments from friends-but I cannot live with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top choice!, 17 Aug. 2011
So, I'm after a dock, as I've moved out of my parents, and my flat just isn't big enough to take my stereo (the downside to 125cm tall, 25kg ea floor standers) so the decision was dock vs bookshelves. I chose the dock, as then I can put all my music onto an iPod classic, with lossless fiiles, and tbh, there isn't a huge difference in my opinion between that and cd.

Ok, the review.

I listened to various docks, but it came down the bowers and wilkins zeppelin, and the bang & olufson Beosound 8.

The zeppelin was the cheapest at £500 for the AirPlay, and it was very good, did everything you could ask, but the bass was a little uncontrolled though there was a lot if you like that kind of thing.

So for that reason, I was down the B&O or the Geneva. Both around the same price.

I actually really enjoyed the B&O but it came down to size unfortunately, so I would highly recommend this as a serious option!

The Geneva is a superb piece of, I'll go so far as to call it audiophile kit! and benefits with a CD player, AND radio! There is also an expansion slot with in the manual is "for future use".

It's not the biggest unit, but the sound is amazing! It really isn't far of full stereo quality, obviously it lacks the stereo imaging, but then your looking at docks!

The only negatives for this are, I feel a very cheap feeling dock flap. It's very wooden, and flappy. For that money I would expect something a little more solid, which opens and closes nicely, rather than clanks. Also, the remote is, quite hounestly of appalling quality for the money you pay! It's made of the cheapest plastic around.

But to me they are only very minor negatives, so do not be put off, I just felt they should be mentioned.

I did not buy the stand, and was a little apprehensive as all the connections are underneath, but it comes with all the right angle leads you need, with very generous lengths. I adjusted the phono's slightly, as they went an especially tight fit.

Very well built, plenty powerful enough for your average to large living room. I cannot fault the sound quality!

Would suggest this to everyone with no problems! The price is well justified! And it's £100 cheaper on amazon than from the supplier! BARGIN,

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 5 Dec. 2013
Quite awful sound. Too bassy and muffled, hardly any detail. Poor soundstage and sound dispersion. Not a floorstander replacement at all. Get a B&O A8 intead.