5.0 out of 5 stars House ( Do I Need To Say More?)
Published on 13 Aug 2008 by Andrew Kerr

1.0 out of 5 stars Universal discrimination
House is what House is, an excellent medi-drama, well written and well acted. But you kind of expect that. This is a DVD review rather than a performance critique, and Universal Pictures fail hands down in one regard: if you are hard of hearing, or a none-native English speaker who relies on subtitles to keep up with the authentically rapid jargon-filled dialogue, don't...
Published on 6 Oct 2009 by Robin A. Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars House ( Do I Need To Say More?), 13 Aug 2008
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting much from this forth season. Sure I'm a big fan of House, but season three ended in such a way that left me somewhat disappointed, and I wasn't sure how the show was going to recover from that rather unexpected final. I also wasn't sure what direction House was heading in, and if they could improve on the otherwise brilliant previous three seasons. Thankfully it didn't take long for my fears to pass and I was proven wrong in the best possible way as House Season Four is exceptionally good.

Hugh Laurie (as usual) is remarkable as Gregory House, a doctor who describes himself in the final episode as a "...lonely misanthropic drug addict." He is supported by Lisa Edelstein (Cuddy), Robert Sean Leonard (Wilson), Jesse Spencer (Chase), Jennifer Morrison (Cameron), Omar Epps (Foreman), as well as the new members of his team (I won't spoil it by telling you who he finally hires in case you haven't yet seen it.) But all of these actors and actress are absolutely stellar in their roles. Doctor Wilson especially is unbelievably good though out the season. Whether he's kidnapping House's twelfth thousand dollar 1967 "Flying V" guitar or helping to diagnose a patient that's trapped at the South Pole, you can count on him to be fantastic. Everything about the series is pretty much perfect. The medical cases and patients are terrific, House's mind-games with Cuddy and Wilson are still brilliant, and the humour is well suited. Each episode really is superb and a masterpiece of creation, perfectly scripted, and planned out.

I thought that the last two episodes in the series were the best. Simply because the cast members are all at their personal best creating a very emotionally charged rollercoaster ride. The series final was the most moving forty five minutes I have ever seen on TV.

I did find the beginning of the series somewhat confusing, with people being fired left, right, and center, it was slightly difficult to keep up and remember who's who. But once the dust had settled and House's new team emerged out of the chaos things became clear (while still throwing up plenty of unexpected twists.) Plus we get to know the new characters pretty quickly thanks again to the wonderful writing and acting. It's a real shame that the season was reduced to only sixteen episodes due to the writer's strike, but those same sixteen episodes are well worth it.

It's almost unbelievable to think that I discovered House entirely by accident one night early last year while channel surfing. Now I can't imagine my life without it. House is truly unmissable. Ignore any critics that say otherwise. I highly recommend it as a must-see-at-all-costs show and I can't wait for the next season.

5.0 out of 5 stars House ( Do I Need To Say More?), 7 July 2008
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars A renovated format sees House's value go through the roof, 16 Oct 2008
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
House is first and foremost a show about the character of Dr Gregory House and how he interacts with others. Yes it's a medical mystery / drama series too, but take House away and that would be it - no more show. Realising that in order to keep the show fresh and Hugh Laurie's character from getting repetitive or predictable, what the show really needed was 40ccs of fresh blood. Hence, the writers took the bold decision to cut the roles of his established team back considerably and allow House free reign over an entire roomful of wannabe assistants.

It was a brilliant and inspired idea, and it makes this fourth series possibly the best ever. House's reasons for firing the doctors to whittle them down and the ways he has of playing them off against each other never fail to surprise and provide priceless moments of entertainment. Best of all, the actors who play them are all extremely talented and they make you care, understand and wonder about the histories of their characters with very little lead in time.

Don't worry about Foreman, Cameron and Chase though - they're still there, and make enough appearances to justify the actors names remaining in the title sequence. In fact, their periods of absence actually allow them to grow a little as characters, and you can see the way that being distant from House has allowed them to change.

There are some unexpected moments too, especially come the last couple of episodes, but I won't give anything away - suffice to say that you should be prepared for one of the most moving scenes you have ever seen in a drama series.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!, 2 July 2008
I have seen the whole series and I am buying this boxset as soon as it comes out so I can watch it again. There have been a lot of critics of this fourth series, saying that without the team of Foreman, Chase and Cameron it doesn't work but I think they are totally wrong. The introduction of new characters freshens it up and enlivens a format that had the potential to get boring. There isn't a single episode here I don't like. The two part finale is amazing, possibly the best episodes ever. Get tissues ready. If you like House I can't recommend this series any more strongly. If you've never seen it before then it is best to start at the beginning, but it can still be appreciated in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stellar and emotive season of House MD - arguably the best!, 9 July 2009
Uenna (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This is arguably the most original and surprising season of House MD. At the end of season 3, the question on everyone's mind was `where will they go form here?', as House had lost all the doctors on his diagnostic team. Season 4 opens with the episode `Alone' in which House was trying to diagnose cases by himself with considerable difficulty. House needs to bounce off his thoughts on his team and thereby receive his unique kind of inspiration like a light bulb going off suddenly in his head. Alone, without his team House has to bounce his ideas on someone, who better than the hospital Janitor whom House puts a white coat on and viola! Problem solved. This was hilarious to say the least; of course Dr. Cody wouldn't stand for such nonsense and forced House to hire a new team.

This season will also be remembered for House's unique way of hiring his new team of doctors: - a knock out challenge, unconventional but hilarious and original. Having professional doctors using any means even underhanded ones to eliminate the competition, while making for entertaining drama, would have had all the medical licensing bodies seriously apoplectic.

There were lots of interesting episodes with more difficult and mysterious medical conditions to solve. In fact all 16 episodes of the season were great. The two episode arc season finale - `House's head and Wilson's heart', were stellar and highly emotive. House is involved in a road traffic accident and he has to remember what happened to help solve the medical cases of the day as well as try to remember someone important who was on the bus with him that he could not save.

Although this season had only 16 episodes due to the writers strike, it will still go down as one of the best seasons of House. A must see for all fans of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Languages, subtitles, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Just to answer a lot of people's questions: this version has an English soundtrack only (no other languages), and no subtitles at all. (I give it five stars, 'cos it's Doctor House!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
The fourth series is as great as the other three series. Even with the change of characters, House is still himself and very amusing.
The new actors in the series and the older ones, all combine perfectly and once again this is a top series, great information on medical details and life among the doctors.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Still Love This, 15 Aug 2008
Caleb Williams (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
At the end of season 3 we were given the shocking conclusion of losing the team we have loved for three years. Foreman quit because he didn't want to become House, Cameron quit because it was time for a change and Chase was fired. I know a lot of dedicated fans felt this was a big mistake, as these were characters that we had fallen in love with and didn't want to say goodbye to. Season 3 left us with a message that it was time for a change. Let me tell you that this change was awesome. Starting with episode 1 of season 4, House is alone in his office and hasn't worked since he lost his team. Determined to get House to hire new staff, Cuddy sets him a challenge. Cure his patient alone and he doesn't have to hire a team, otherwise if he can't figure out what's wrong on his own, he must hire a team. House loses the bet and episode one ends with House in a room of 40 doctors hoping to be on the team.

Season 3, in a way was one of the more emotional seasons when testing his friendship with Wilson and testing his previous teams loyalty. Season 4 was more of a relief from that drama, with which some people may not like, but I truly loved. The first few episodes became a reality TV type show in which House would test his 40 possible employees and fire the ones that failed. Over this time we started to become aware of who the team would eventually be and what their quirks and personalities were.

With the comic relief of the first few episodes, the finale presents us with a real tear jerker and possibly the most emotional episodes we have ever seen from the show. Wilson falls in love with one of House's former possible employees, but the finale tests their love as his girlfriend is taken critically ill. Robert Sean Leonard really shines in the finale and next to the sensible man we've come to know and love, he gives us a real emotional side. The two part finale is something brilliantly made that no fan will be disappointed with. I find that even with the writers strike, we were still given the most triumphant season finale from the entire show.

Along with that I can't help but think that they had plans to have the old team re-unite at the end of season four. Unfortunately we wouldn't get to see that at the end of season four. I hope we really do get to see this situation arise in season five, although the team aren't completely gone. Cameron is in E.R., Chase is now a surgeon and Foreman is back and working for House already. In this season we were given a further development between the relationship of Cuddy and House. I'm hoping that in season 5 we are given a definitive answer on where this relationship is going. This season, as usual was filled with the classic lines that it's famous for and below are some of my favourites.

From Episode 4: Guardian Angels:

House: "I can't ask the black guy or one of the chicks to do it; it'd be insensitive."

From Episode 10: It's A Wonderful Life:

House: "You talk to your kid about sex so she'll think you're open about everything. Keeps her from asking questions about the things you don't wanna talk about."

From Episode 13: No More Mr. Nice Guy:

House: "Run him for everything you can think of: lepto, schisto, hemo and the fourth Marx Brother nobody ever heard of. "

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SEASON OF HOUSE MADE TO DATE, 22 Jun 2008
I'm a House FANatic, and I'd say this season is the best one made so far. It's a pity the season came out with just 16 episodes, but that was because of the writers' strike. TO my mind, this season is the BEST one to date. I'm glad they broke the original team up: if they'd carried them all through in the same way into the 4th season, i believe it would've got stale... it'd just be more repetitions of past seasons. This season is great, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great show can't wait for season five to come out, 6 Jun 2009
A. Jones "dawnofwar" (romsey hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
i have all four seasons of house and i loved watching them and will again and again house makes me laugh so much how he gets away with what he does amazes me but you sit there gripped waiting to find out if he is right in what is wrong with the person he is treating i ope season five when it comes out carries on this good show for many season's to come

House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD]
House - Season 4 - Complete [DVD] by Hugh Laurie (DVD - 2008)