Format: DVD|Change

on 18 September 2010
I had seen many of the others, A Taste of Honey, This Sporting Life, Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, mostly on tv, but not this one, so I ordered the DVD. I have flicked through some of the other reviews again, and they describe the film very well.

When I saw the first shots leading to the wedding scene I sat up in my seat, very impressed indeed. The high standard of acting and filming and story development, with all it's ambiguities, was maintained throughout. And I agree, the story is still very relevant.

I can't see any reason not to describe this as a masterpiece.
on 10 December 2009
The Manchester accents can make the dialogue elusive at times, but this is a superior production from all important points of view: script, direction, acting. The location shooting is absolutely wonderful - never a shadow on the bitumen. The story is as straight forward as a half-pint of lager. but it is handled with such conviction and honesty by all concerned, nothing seems the least bit stale. A worthy addition to any DVD collection of fine cinema.
on 7 May 2011
Northern gritty drama in the vein of "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" and " Room at The Top" brilliantly played by Alan Bates later to become Sir Alan Bates, a true thespian.
Shot in black and white it shows the stark reality of post war Britain in the opening shots kids playing in the streets then running past bombed buildings to a church where the story begins.
Boy sees girl, at his sisters wedding outside the church girl likes boy, and we see how this unfolds.
This was at a time when it was frowned on to be pregnant out of wedlock, how times have changed, there was an honesty about that time that is sadly lost now, of values and doing the right thing, and we see this with the emotional struggles of our pair of lovers.
Nothing changes really in the quest to find love except in the society at the time, and at this time men were tut men and a woman knew what was in store for her, marriage baby's staying at home, while hubby went to work and provided.
Brilliant and honest
Recommended
on 17 February 2010
The point is,we are gripped by a wave of nostalgia when we remember these films and rightly so,It is a briliant film and should be shown at school and give the youngsters an idea of the great times we lived through.The acting is great and real down to earth and it is great that these old film are now on dvd.I still look back on films i have seen in the 50s and long for them on dvd.They are usualy more expensive but worth it.It is the lack of swearing i like most of all and in current films from the U.S. it is ridiculous.
on 27 February 2010
A very good film,typical 60's storyline of working class lovers in the north with opposition from domineering parents.Thora Hird. Plenty of nostalgia if you were a teenager around that time.love recognising the scenery. Recommended
on 14 September 2009
I remember watching this as a youngster with my mother, about thirty odd years ago, I loved this film then and still love it now, a great British gem!
on 30 May 2013
I've watched the film so many times and each time it's as fresh as ever. I've just treated myself to a Kindle copy of the book to re-read on holiday. Fabulous acting adapted from Stan Barstow's novel. Vic Brown and Ingrid Rothwell, two ill-matched youngsters forced into a marriage that has no chance of working. Living with Ingrid's nightmare of a mother, wonderfully played by Thora Hird, life is a struggle. Well worth a download for good, old-fashioned entertainment in black and white. Back streets, steam trains and brass bands. Brilliant.
on 24 October 2009
Actually I was introduced to Stan Barstow by the 1982 Granada TV Series starring Clive Wood as Vic, now also thankfully available on DVD at last. I read all the books in the Vic Brown trilogy and loved them, going on to read Room at the Top, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, A Taste of Honey and the rest. Then a couple of years later, Channel 4 showed this 1962 film adaptation of the first in the trilogy. John Schlesinger's first film, it in turn opened up the whole Kitchen Sink drama genre for me. I see it as the best. It's not patronising to the working class and portrays family interaction and conflict in a way I could identify with more than its rivals. The central performances, particularly Alan Bates and a giant outing by the colossus that is Thora Hird, are hugely convincing. It's quoteable too, in that way I love. Many a time have I defused a tiff with my beloved wife by saying "Yes, and I'm your husband... if you did but know it."
on 14 November 2011
A young north country draughtsman is forced into marriage and has to live with his dragon like mother in law.Its a blunt melodrama not unlike saturday night sunday morning type drama.Its well written by Keith Waterhouse & Willis Hall from the Stan Barstow novel.John Schlesinger who strikingly directed this film and the brilliant cast and exceptional urban photography make this one of the most memorable films that I have ever watched.
on 22 April 2012
This 1962 English working-class drama stars Alan Bates in his handsome prime as a young man, Vic, who gets roped into marriage with Ingrid (June Ritchie) after he impregnates her because he was too embarrassed to buy condoms from a female pharmacist. Unable to afford their own place, the young couple move in with Ingrid's mother (Thora Bird), who turns out to be a mother-in-law from hell. Mommy-in-Law Dearest soon has the couple at one another's throats and their marriage's only chance of survival is to break free of the old hag completely. The film was sensitively directed by John Schlesinger. This slice-of-life, kitchen-sink drama fits right in with other British movies of the period, such as Poor Cow, The L-Shaped Room, A Touch of Honey, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner, This Sporting Life, and Look Back in Anger.