4.0 out of 5 stars Chunky but good

3.0 out of 5 stars Robust...and it tells the time
Published on 7 April 2010 by R. Seal

4.0 out of 5 stars Chunky but good, 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
It's a bit chunkier and heavier than I expected, but still perfectly wearable. The compass decoration round the edge is not on a bezel, so it doesn't rotate which was a bit disappointing. Apart from that, it's a pretty decent watch and seems to hold the time well - since I set it to the atomic clock it hasn't varied from it after a couple of weeks. The analogue clock syncs to the digital clock seconds automatically, so they always read the same time.

One tricky point was calculating the lunitidal interval. After some research online I discovered that it is the time between when the moon is highest in the sky and when the next high tide occurs. This is needed for setting the tide information on the watch. You should be able to find the moon rise and moon set times for your location online. The moon should be at its highest point at the mid point between these times. Subtract this time from the first high tide that occurs after it and that's your lunitidal interval.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for watersports, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
I've had one of these for nearly 4 years now, and apart from the strap perishing & breaking, it has been absolutely fantastic. The display is easy to read, the luminous hands are really easy to read at night without having to use the backlight which is a real bonus. The only real downside is the setup is a pain in the ass, so don't lose the instructions. The tide times are quite complicated to set initially, but on the plus side, are reasonably accurate once set. I have a habit of killing watches and I'm really impressed how long this has lasted despite repeated immersion, loads of sand abrasion and being generally knocked about. If you kitebuggy, surf of do any other stuff that relies on the tide state & need a robust waterproof watch then this one is pretty much unbeatable for the price. And to be helpful to anyone reading this review the replacement straps are available direct from casio uk as they are quite an awkward fitting to find a generic replacement for. I'd definitely give it 10 out of 10 & I'm really tempted to buy another one as a spare 'just in case'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly resiliant!, 22 April 2010
M. Hollins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
I bought this watch as I am a surfer and looking for one I can wear in and out of the water. This watch is perfect for that! Took some big beatings on wipeouts in Fuerteventura and it just shrugged them off, absolutely no water leakage and no scratches from all that sand/knocks.The tide graph is quite neat although a bit of faff to sort out - it calcualtes from the lunitidal interval which you need to find on the net, and you can not set it up for more than one beach like some other watches I have seen. The moon graph is a very nice touch. All in all a very practical watch for active people but will not disgrace you in meetings at work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great waterproof watch, 1 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
This watch is one of the few that I've bought that is actually waterproof, and as I'm an outdoor instructor I need it to take a bit of a beating as well. This one really ticks the boxes. The only issue is the tide time is a bit off cos you set it to the main city nearest you, (which is london for me) but i live about 400 miles from there! But that's only a problem if you cant be bothered to find out the settings you need for where you are. But that's picking at straws for a watch that does what it says on the tin and for a dirt cheap price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Robust...and it tells the time, 7 April 2010
R. Seal (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
Pleased with the purchase but setting it up correctly is not for the faint-hearted or those with poor eyesight. The watch is comfortable to wear and stylish in appearance. So far it has functioned as expected but I have two criticisms. Firstly, the manual supplied with the watch is printed in a very small font and for those people of advancing years with less than 20/20 vision, then this could be a major setback. Secondly, setting up the watch to display the correct moon and tide phases does require some additional research to establish your precise latitude and longitude (as well as a few other bits and bobs)...it took half an hour of searching on the internet to sort this out and set the watch for my location. Being more than 80 miles from the nearest bit of sea this was probably a bit of a pointless exercise for me and puts this function into the gimmick category. That having been said I am pleased with my purchase and it does get quite a few comments from admirers. If that's what you are looking for in a watch, then I would recommmend the Casio AQW-100 to prospective purchasers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
I bought this to replace the exact same model that I have owned for four years or so.
I think it is a great watch and does everything I want a watch to do. The main face gives you all the information you might need at a glance. I keep the digital display in 24hour mode to save me having convert in my head. It also shows the date and day which is always handy and above the date is the moon phase which I find particularly useful as I am an amateur astronomer. It also shows the tide state which I very rarely use as I live in the midlands, about as far away from the sea as you can get! I have used it on holiday though and you need to enter in your latitude and a factor that tells it the lag between the full moon and high tide but this was instantly available on the internet and very easy to enter.
In addition there is a countdown timer which is handy for eggs and Pot Noodles! Three alarms, which I use all the time, and a stopwatch if you need it. There is also a dual time facility which is handy when abroad.
It is very waterproof and I have tested this on many occasions and on top of all that it looks great.
As I say I have bought this to replace the same model and the only reason I am replacing it is the fact that I wear it all the time and the old one is now scratched to death.
Over all, brilliant. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio AQW 100, 15 April 2013
Mr. R. Nicol - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
Works as expected strraight out of the box. Haven't bothered with the wave function as yet, but I bought it because of the need for a watch with an alarm and also that could be read during the night (illuminator function). I settled on this one as it wasn't too large, it looked smart, and also had multi time zone function (I travel a lot) The 'bezel' on the front of the watch with the compass directions is fixed and does not rotate, nor does it appear to have any function other than cosmetic. The watch hands can sometimes obscure the date (mainly with the hands at the 12 o'clock to the 2 o'clock position).Only other minor drawback is that the alarm is not as loud as previous watches, but it's sufficient and it does have snooze function on the primary alarm and there are two additional alarms (three in total). The 4 x function buttons are of a reasonable size, and it only needs a gentle push to operate these. The last Casio watch I had needed an obscure battery which was going to cost £23, so to get a multi function watch at this price (£33) it's well worth the cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moon & Tide Watch, 28 Jan. 2010
corsur (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
Very smart looking watch with good clear display, also fairly easy to set up using the online PDF manual rather than the small manual that comes with it, I got the settings, longitude latitude and time deferent's, for my home town, for the tide and moon phasing part of the watch to be useful by just doing a bit of searching online for these settings.. The watch feels very comfortable to wear with plenty of adjustment on strap. Great watch and price Thanks Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and solid, 11 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
I bought this mainly for the tide graph, as the tide is an important part of walks for myself and my dog. It took a bit of research to get the settings and program the watch, but once done it has been pretty accurate, and allows me to predict the tides enough to avoid getting cut off by the sea. The moon phase is a bit odd as it fills in the parts of the moon in darkness not the part on view, but seems to work OK. The main complaint I have is a part of the top LCD display is not visible for some time due to the hands obscuring it. It has been well tested in water and is still OK. The strap has had complaints but doesn't seem too bad and is perfectly comfortable. Will have to wait to find out how durable it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Mens Watch, 11 Feb. 2010
Rod Smith (Sutton Coldfield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Men's Resin Combi Watch (Watch)
Excellent timepiece. Casio AQW-100-1AVEF Mens Resin Combi Watch More features than I was looking for but the retailer had it on offer so I took advantage. Takes some time to get used to all the features, the book is more like an encyclopaedia and practise is required. The display is clearer than I expected and the luminous bits work well in the dark - as they should. Moon phase and tide display are a gimmick for someone living in the midlands but useful to have as you can change the date and see what is going to be happening when on holiday etc. Compass point ornamentation looks good but does nothing really practical - finding north/south by using the watch hands method is not accurate, get a compass. It's not a G-Shock but it does more than I need and I really like it.