5.0 out of 5 stars Removing unwanted links from your Casio "5035" WVA-470DE-1AVEF
Casio WVA-470DE-1AVEF Solar Powered Radio Control Wrist Watch.
Casio call this the "5053" and a guide can be downloaded from Casio UK.
I am writing about adjusting the strap, as it does not seem to conform with any previous guide on the net.
Punch Pins and Guide blocks can be purchased at Amazon to aid the removal of the pins in the strap.
It is best...
Published on 15 Dec 2011 by LB1kinobe

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious recharging issues
Published on 10 Feb 2011 by Oh Mr Jelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch, 6 Oct 2011
This review is from: Casio WVA-470DE-1AVEF Radio Controlled Analog and Digital Quartz Multifunction Watch with Chronograph, Time Zones, 3 Alarms, Solar Power and Steel Bracelet (Watch)
I bought this watch after a previous Waveceptor got water in it after battery replacement. This watch is a worthy replacement! Time set as soon as watch was out of its packaging: only slight complication was getting the digital time to go to 24 hour but soon resolved. Hopefully this is going to be a long relationship with the latest of many Casio watches. Please note as other reviewers have mentioned there is a plastic element to the case but watch has steel front and back and still looks good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious recharging issues, 10 Feb 2011
I have had this watch for just over 3 months and have had battery issues on and off for about one third of this time. I'm giving two stars rather than one because in general I agree with all the useful features mentioned by others. However there is not a lot of point in these until/unless Casio sort out the battery issues. In my case the watch had to be returned after one month as it seemed impossible to get it to function according to what the manual describes should be happening. I returned it to Casio who found nothing wrong apart from "battery not recharged". It worked OK for about 2 months and then started stopping unexpectedly - battery problems again. [If necessary, I can describe the issues in more detail in a reply to any request in 'comments' to this thread.]

I'm reluctant to write my experience off as a one-off because there seem to be enough indications to imply a general problem. Firstly the Casio helpline admit "there have been recharging issues with all these grey days"; secondly they have a FAQ on recharging which is not apparently on the website but emailed to those like me reporting problems. And thirdly, careful reading of the FAQ and the manual itself indicates that once you start having recharging problems it takes considerable periods of time to get the battery fit again; in winter for instance 153 hours of daylight through a window on a cloudy day. I'm still experimenting with whether even this full resuscitation works: for instance why would my watch have battery problems again so soon after the repair team had presumably fully recharged it, when a fully charged watch is according to the manual (page E43) supposedly good for 5 months operation?

Update (25 Sep 2012). I have left it some time to update this review in order to try and give a fair balanced picture overall. In March 2011 I had to return the watch for a second time, as once again it was stopping repeatedly. Even after a recharge for 167 continuous hours (count em!) it soon showed unexpected readouts and anomalous overall behaviour. Casio returned the watch within a week with no message other than 'analog bloc - replace'. It has behaved properly ever since. I have upped the rating to 3 stars, as it is clearly a nice mid range watch when you get a good one. I still deduct 2 stars for Casio's apparently poor pre-sales QC, and for their complete mishandling of my first return where they seem to have just assumed that I was too dumb to ensure that the watch was charged properly, even although I had made it clear in my covering letter that this was not the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new watch, 15 Jun 2011
John Boy (York, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best watches I have had for a long time, and I do have a Breitling watch. But I dont have to do anything with this watch but just pop it on to the window ledge and it gets fully recharged.
The accuracy is superb as it is radio controlled.
All in all I am very very happy with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated for me, 10 Dec 2012
When I retired I was glad to be free of the need to be constantly checking the time and I've not worn a watch for some years. Things have changed and I needed a watch so I looked through the Amazon listings. The idea of a solar-powered radio-controlled watch appealed to me as requiring minimum attention and the reviews were generally good, especially with regard to the features of most interest to me. I don't need to know the time in Mongolia, nor do I need daily alarms. I'd have no use for a stopwatch and in any case, I'd be so busy working out which button to press the race would be over before I'd got the watch started. I was happy to ignore those extras which seem standard on most quartz watches.

Out of the box, I was immediately pleased with my purchsse: it was just as I expected and it immediately began to adjust itself. Warned by the reviews, I sorted out the instructions for setting the time zone and found that to be simple. Once it was set to GMT it was about 5 seconds fast compared with a radio-controlled clock. The following morning both were synchronised so the time signal had been received without taking any special action.

This would have been an easy five stars but when I'd had it a couple of days, the cuff of a fleece jacket must have pressed a button and the day/ date display had been replaced by something else. I was in the dentist's waiting room at the time without the instructions so playing with the buttons just left me with both analogue and digital time displayed. I'm sure it will be easy to reset but I could do without having to learn the instructions to be prepared fot it to happen again. This is a minor niggle but it would only be through regular use that I'd remember how to use features like the stopwatch without reference to the instructions.

Overall, a very pleasing Christmas present to myself.

PS

I couldn't find anything in the instructions on how to get back to the day/date display if it's quit unintentionally. After some frustrating time trying to sort it using buttons, I resorted to trying to recreate the effect of the sleeve on the buttons by random pressing. Eventually it surrendered and now it's working normally again.
======================================================================
Update after a couple of months ownership:

The problem with the unprotected buttons being inadvertently pressed by clothing regularly occurs and although I can eventually get back to the day/ date display, it generally involves a frustrating trip around the world time zones, till I press the correct combination by chance.

Verdict = I am too stupid to own a watch like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate time piece, 6 Jan 2011
This watch is very reliable. I have not familiarized myself with the alarms or chronograph yet. Had to adjust the strap to fit my wrist , I am one of those guys who hardly removes the watch so its waterproof to 100 meters depth was an essential requirement for me ,in order to keep on when having a bath. Although Slightly chunky it is light enough to wear most of the day. Looks smart as well.
Very happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars she loves the easily read hands, 8 July 2014
Because of our age, I bought this for my wife (or keep it for myself if she did not approve). She will never ever use its buttons, but because it is radio controlled and solar charged it should never need any attention. She loves the plain dial, she loves the easily read hands, it is not too heavy, AND LOOKS GOOD. She is delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grey dial,not black., 6 July 2014
Very nice watch for the price.I call it "lazy" watch,you don't need to change batteries.Adjust itself and overall is amazing.Only one thing on the description is not wright.The dial is not black how is specified,it is grey and the overall look would be great if was black.

2.0 out of 5 stars Radio control watch, 7 April 2014
Could not re set to gmt arrived one hour fast
Returned!! Reorder same watch problem same arrived one hour fast could not re set !!
Got refund bought Citizen Eco charge by light no problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect time-keeping ,at a reasonable price, 24 Mar 2014
I am absolutely amazed at the accuracy of this watch it does everything it says on the box comparable watch's are far more expensive ,I strongly recommend this watch

5.0 out of 5 stars This one actually works, 10 Feb 2014
Unlike the two Precision Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue - Digital Display and Black Stainless Steel Plated Bracelet PREW1114, the hands actually move on their own

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›