on 15 December 2011
Casio WVA-470DE-1AVEF Solar Powered Radio Control Wrist Watch.
Casio call this the "5053" and a guide can be downloaded from Casio UK.
I am writing about adjusting the strap, as it does not seem to conform with any previous guide on the net.
Punch Pins and Guide blocks can be purchased at Amazon to aid the removal of the pins in the strap.
It is best to first remove the pin at the strap fold over clip. both ends of the pin are sprung loaded so it's a simple matter of pushing one end towards the centre with a thin tool and move out of the hole before releasing.
All of this should be done on a clean section of table because the next operation is going to have minute parts.
Now the strap can be extended in a fairly straight line, and if you have purchased a block. The strap can be fitted in the block with the pin you intend to remove over a hole in the block.
There are arrows on the inside of the strap links that show which way the pin must travel and also which pins can be removed.
A piece of wood can be improvised but will not hold the watch as firmly.
With the pin tool (or very small nail with the point removed) Knock the pin down until it has passed out of the top link arm. Now the pin can be fully withdrawn from the strap by using a good quality set of pliers and gripping the exposed pin.
This is the moment when small parts can be lost if not working over and close to the table.
When the pin is out and the strap links fall apart, there is a very small split bush located in the centre section of the link.
I removed three pins and all three times these small bushes fell out and had to be found.
Without these split bushes the pins are very loose in the holes and just fall out again.
If you examine the centre part of the link you will see that the bush can only go in at one end. i.e. the larger hole.
After you have removed the unwanted links, it's a simple matter of connecting the remaining links together, making sure the bush is inside the centre section of the link and the holes are in line before hammering the pin back into the hole. If you have a pin tool , a final tap to put the pin below the surface.
One word of warning, it's just as easy to connect the two parts of the strap with one section with arrows facing in, and one section with arrows facing out. So be sure to check before hammering in the pin.
No I didn't do that, but I did spend hours on the web trying to find out why my pins were too loose.
I thought perhaps they had to have a smear of glue on the ends, I finally found one of the bushes and then was on hands and knees on the carpet with a torch.
I hope this helps someone to at least understand what is involved, and that without the block there is a good chance of marking your new watch.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 January 2010
Superb performance, Accurate, No battteries, Sorts out GMT, Summertime itself, analogue for time, digital display for accuracy and looks good. These watches can't be beat. Only minor complaint I would like a crystal front that is impervious to scratches but perhaps Casio will get roun to that soon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 August 2009
A good solid chunky watch with a clear dial and so-easy battery top-up during wear and a timekeeping check every night by radio signal while you're asleep. Many options available on watch, split timing, stop watch, etc if that's what you want. For me I just need an accurate timepiece and no battery change or manual corrections ever needed.
It should be noted that the case is only stainless steel for the top as the bottom and sides are of another material. Possibly, it makes the reception of the radio signal easier.
You may also find it easier to take the watch to a shop for the bracelet removal link in order for it to fit correctly. It only cost me 4 Euros extra on the total cost and I couldn't wear it from the box except maybe around my neck!!
I recommend you Google or use similar search engine, this watch for information and price. Plenty of other information avail. Mostly good.
on 5 January 2013
You really have to look at different websites to see the differences in price. There aren't many, and it turns out that Amazon was the cheaspest. Arrived in good time and was was working straight out of the box, but was exactly one hour fast. This is explained by the fact that it is updated daily by a radio signal and my signal must have been coming from outside the UK. However, once I set my place of use ( London UK) into the system, it magically corrected itself automatically and now will be always correct appartently. Fortunately this is not too difficult to do, even for me. I am very happy with it so far.
Very minor niggles:
- I am a retired pensioner and I have a slight problem with the manual which appears to be very comprehensive but which appears to be the size of a postage stamp. My poor eyes. However my daughter has no problem.
- I searched for backlit faces so I could see it in the dark. Be aware that this watch is backlit but this only includes the small digital frame set into the face. The face itself is not backlit. Perhaps this is an unreasonable request for a solar powered watch of this price, otherwise it would quickly run down, but just be aware that if you really need an illuminated dial, this is not it.
- solar power is a great idea but given the low light intensity in winter here and the fact that most people wear a watch with the face partly hidden under their sleeves, you may have to take it off and put it in the window frequently to stop it running down. Applies to all solar watches I think, so not a specific criticism.
on 25 August 2010
I bought this watch because it is solar powered and radio controlled. It's a maintenance free watch! I like a watch to have an analogue face which this also fits the bill (with a small unobtrusive digital readout for digital functions). I am not keen on plastic and had not realised from the picture this watch has a plastic moulded body. So when it arrived I was a little disappointed but I liked it's general appearance and decided to keep the watch. Good decision. I've been using it now for some time and I have to say it is a great watch. Accurate as you like and the solar battery charges up plenty with only normal exposure to light. Went to France and reset to Paris time was a doddle. Only four adjustment buttons - read the instructions to see how the functions are accessed. All pretty straightforward for anyone who has owned a digital watch in the past. In summary this is a very reasonably priced watch for the specification. It has classic looks but has cutting edge technology built in. I would highly recommend this timepiece and would buy another straight away if I lost or broke it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 March 2014
A classic Casio Radio Controlled (two receivers) WVA-470DE-1AVEF sold here in the UK and Europe with appropriate DCF and MSF Radio reception – that is Mainflingen in Germany and Anthorn in the UK and at a price unthinkable a few years ago.

Being Solar Powered this watch never needs a battery. With 2 receiver Radio Control assuming it receives a signal from the appropriate Atomic Clock each day the accuracy is guaranteed and correct within the UK and Europe. It has good functionality with World Time, Chronograph Stopwatch to 1/100sec, 3 Alarms, battery check, signal check, hour beep, Neobrite analog hands and is Water Resistance rated to 10bar or 100m. It also features an LED backlight.

It’s also one of the better sized models (as was the Casio Oceanus) at a neat 42mm x 12mm and even though is analog/digital it has a really neat and classic analog appearance. It has a solid stainless steel bracelet with a double push button clasp and is adjustable by use of removable links (again as the Oceanus) using small tapered pins and sprung holding collars.

However there are some points to bear in mind -

For traveling and selecting a city in the World Time mode will certainly show your destination time – but – only on the digital display. The analog time and hands will only indicate your Home Time.
So this Casio model whilst a World Timer only gives a digital indication of a City you select – which is OK, but you have to remember when doing that quick glance that the analog hands are still your home time.

Another point to note is depending on which module is fitted, the watch on AT (automatic receive) will try to receive a signal from the module default transmitter. In the case of my module 5053 it will try to receive Germany first, then secondly Anthorn – so here in the UK it may be slow in picking up a signal from Mainflingen in Germany, perhaps due to distance or weather and if it fails, it will then will seek Anthorn in the UK – and probably successfully as it’s much closer. That process could possibly take up to 14 minutes.
Fortunately however, you can select which transmitter you wish it to check first and I’ve set this one to MSF (Anthorn) here in the UK. The receive time is then very much quicker - mine takes just 2 minutes to complete.

And finally this model features the bracelet system used by the first Casio Oceanus Manta series and features a solid pin and split collar link fitting. Always an issue for folks not used to it, any resizing has to be done with considerable care and I include third parties. For example if you decide to get your local Jeweler to do this – they may not be familiar with this system and could very easily lose collars if not forewarned.A point to bear in mind if adjusting/removing links, is to take great care and NOT lose the small link pin collars. (When I sold on my Casio Oceanus I included a letter to the buyer explaining just how to do it, as I was concerned he might make a mess of it and then claim a refund for a faulty strap – which it wasn’t of course).

Basically the link pins slide not only into the bracelet segment, but through a very small steel split collar – it is this collar that grips the pin. Lose it and you lose the integrity of the whole bracelet as the pins will fall out.

However it is a good comfortable bracelet, just take care if resizing.

The price for this model’s functionality is under £100 which considering it’s predecessors represents great value for money. I know of three friends who have this model and they use it as their main watch and bearing in mind they each have watch collections too, it obviously says a lot for this model.

For me I particularly like fact that it has not been G-Shocked with plastic panels stuck all over it and has an uncluttered dial considering the functions. Note the luminous analog hands time and the digital time are always in synch. ie: they are not separate and both automatically adjust together on signal reception. It also has a neatly defined center seconds hand. The digital window is a good size without encroaching the dial yet large enough to read clearly.

The four pushers are neat and unobtrusive, though quite large enough for the whole fingertip when operating.

At under £100 this is an amazing achievement when you consider that in 2009 I had the very latest in RC models – the Casio Oceanus Manta and the Citizen Attesa ATV53-2833. Both models cost over £700 at the time!

So on a cost/function basis this represents a quantum leap in terms of what was then available.
on 3 April 2014
I bought this watch to replace my previous Casio Wave Ceptor, which had given up the ghost after about 7 years. I love the idea of having a watch which is always exactly accurate and with this one being solar powered no battery changes to worry about either.

I only received this watch today so this is very much a "first impressions" review.

The watch was working straight out of the tin, fully charged and set to the right time. I had to set my home city to London, and then performed a manual time receive (much easier than it sounds) to take account of daylight saving.

The next task was to adjust the strap to fit my wrist. I needed to remove no fewer than four links and I managed to do it using a jeweller's screwdriver and a small pair of pliers. Push the pins out from either end of the links you want to remove, but look out for the tiny metal bush that will fall out with them. If you lose this the pin will not tighten when you come to re-assemble the strap. If in doubt, any high street jewellers will make the adjustment for a modest fee.

This is a good-looking watch and has quite a few useful features. The only disappointment was the fact that the backlight only illuminates the digital readout, not the whole dial. I presume this is to save battery power.
on 21 August 2010
I bought this watch for my teenage son's birthday because he had asked for a new watch and I didn't want to get him just a boring old watch. The first great feature is the radio control so the watch is extremely accurate and you don't have to wind on the date when there's a short month or a leap year (as well as taking care of when the clocks go backwards and forwards). The second great feature is that it is solar powered. I hate having to take the backs off digital watches in order to get into the battery compartment.

RC watches used to be very large and so looked a bit out of proportion on your wrist. However this one is only a little larger than a standard men's bracelet watch.

The only problem we had was removing links from the bracelet. It took us ages to realise you had to poke out the pin first. Luckily I had a set of jewellers tools with a tool just right for the job.
on 6 October 2011
I bought this watch after a previous Waveceptor got water in it after battery replacement. This watch is a worthy replacement! Time set as soon as watch was out of its packaging: only slight complication was getting the digital time to go to 24 hour but soon resolved. Hopefully this is going to be a long relationship with the latest of many Casio watches. Please note as other reviewers have mentioned there is a plastic element to the case but watch has steel front and back and still looks good!
on 21 October 2013
This watch looks pretty good. The plastic content of the shell doesn't bother me. I like the radio control feature and the solar charging. I don't know what I was doing wrong but, at first, I couldn't get it to select the correct time zone. However, after a few attempts, I succeeded. There is another action required so make sure you read all the little bits of paper that come with the instructions.