5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I am so glad I picked this model as it works brilliantly.

I was very concerned, after reading many reviews (on other
models), that the removable plates would not get hot enough.
I should not have worried, these plates get sizzling hot and
leave grill marks on the pork steaks, turkey slices and chicken
breasts that I have tried so far...
Published on 19 Jan 2010 by JO

3.0 out of 5 stars George Forman grill 14525 4 portion grill and melt.
Published on 15 April 2012 by rotan2

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: George Foreman 14525 Four Portion Family Grill and Melt with Removable Plates - Brushed Steel (Kitchen & Home)
I am so glad I picked this model as it works brilliantly.

I was very concerned, after reading many reviews (on other
models), that the removable plates would not get hot enough.
I should not have worried, these plates get sizzling hot and
leave grill marks on the pork steaks, turkey slices and chicken
breasts that I have tried so far.
The pork (about 12mm thick) took 5 minutes.
The turkey took 4 minutes.
The chicken 8 minutes.

Actual measurements for the grill cooking surface is 27 x 15 cm.
The grill takes 5 minutes to heat up.
The size is perfect for 4 chicken breasts, 4 pork loin steaks.

The timer has been invaluable for me.
It also has an on/off switch, and can be stored upright.

The same grill, but without the removable plates and no timer
George Foreman 14181 Grill & Melt Silver with Sloped Grill Design and Vertical Storage
came out as the top best buy on Which?
(they have not, as of yet, reviewed this model)

I have found that it is better to just rub some oil onto the meat,
rather than the plates themselves, (as it says in the instruction
book) as this method results in a much easier clean up, the residues
wash straight off. It is so easy, that I wouldn't even bother putting
them in the dishwasher.

I think this model is superb, I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very hot, very fast cooking times., 5 May 2010
C. Darcy - See all my reviews
There's a lot to consider when buying a Foreman grill and I definitely did my research and love my purchase. I also took my time before submitting a review for this product because I felt there were a lot of mixed reviews across the board on these grills and wanted a very accurate portrayal of this grill specifically.

First I'd like to address the cooking times. While the Foreman Grills advertise a very true statement of halving the cooking times they don't tell you that you need an additional five minutes to heat up the grill. It won't ruin your life, but when you're hungry that can seem like an eternity. However, find comfort in the fact that you will generally make that time back due to the double sided grilling. It's somewhat important to note that i regularly spend 5 minutes of heating for a 1 minute panini or grilled cheese sandwich. It's a daily chore, but I do it cheerfully live with it considering how good it tastes.

The manual that accompanies the grill underestimates the power of this grill. Nine minutes for a 6oz beef burger? No way. I've been buying 6oz beef burgers and cooking them from frozen in 5, yes, the grill is that hot! However, I do like my bacon extra crispy and the 8-9 minute recommended time for that has been the only thing I would agree with. Overall it seems like the guide for the grilling times is generic and used across some of the cheaper less effective grills.

That brings me to the major point in Foreman grills; the fat draining. It's not long into the grilling before you see just how much fat is drained, and believe me it's always more than you think! Is there a drawback? Oh yeah. The grill can drain enough juices from the meat that it will leave it dry and tasteless. My first victim was a thick and juicy steak but thankfully I overcame it by adjusting my timer. Overcooking meat on the Foreman won't burn as easily due to the design of the plates but will cause your food to be sapped of moisture. Counteract it by dialing back the timer and you will find the balance of juicy and cooked thoroughly. The best guide I can give a new user is to half the suggested times, taking into account that the grill is double sided and it is hotter than a pan, don't give into your instinct to add an extra minute, you'll have to eat your mistakes!

The main event of this grill is the removable plates, the reason you'd look at this grill. No heat loss, in fact I'd say this is easily one of their hottest grills. The only thing I dislike is the cleaning. While the plates are dishwasher safe a dishwasher doesn't clean them fully and I routinely clean my plates by hand once or twice a week but then again, I am a stickler for hygiene. The upshot is I couldn't imagine the pain of cleaning a grill with attached plates. Dishwashers are 90% effective and you'll need some elbow grease occasionally to make it perfect. Only negative thing I can say is the non stick coating has shown very early stages of wear and the lifespan won't be a life long appliance, a year or two seems likely.

Last major point is size. You will never cook for four people on this grill. I would consider it a very spacious two person grill. If you want to make some bacon cheeseburgers you'll do it two at a time (albeit two bouts of 5 minutes to serve 4 delicious beef burgers with melted cheese if you use the raclette feature). Two juicy fillet steaks, or one massive sirloin. Three to four chicken breasts however which would give the grill some president in it's four portion field, but in my opinion that's just too limited to warrant the 4 portion size that's been attributed to the grill. If you've ever been to burger king, 2 whoppers would fill this grill with not much room to spare.

The physical qualities of this grill are definitely second to none. The handle is metal and sturdy, the catches are unbreakable, the locking mechanism for the plates is perfect and you won't make a mistake leading to a plate falling off onto your feet... sounded painful, nowhere near experiencing it :P The aforementioned wear and tear on the non stick plates is the only thing that could make me replace this grill. This is a fantastic addition to any kitchen with little to no learning curve and great tasting food. Steer clear of tomatoes on it, they turn into lava hot gooey malformed messes if directly thrown on.

Great grill, worth every penny for me. If you want to maximize your bang for the buck (even if you have more than 2 people in your household) buy this. You won't be lead astray with great food, great snacks (no grilled sandwich will ever require cleaning after beyond a wipe down with a kitchen towel) and generally speeding up the time you spend in the kitchen. I love this product and I've used it every day since I received it. If mine stopped working in the morning I'd be online buying a replacement and at the price I paid I could honestly pay double. This is their best grill currently so grab it while you can.

3.0 out of 5 stars George Forman grill 14525 4 portion grill and melt., 15 April 2012
George Foreman 14525 4-Portion Family Removable Plates Grill and Melt in Brushed Steel We purchased this grill on the 30th January 2011, to replace our existing grill unit.It was delivered by Amazon,on schedual, and has been a very good in lowering the fat content of our diet. However !!! being used for fourteen months the removable plates have degraded and started to peel the none stick coating. We found that after contacting George Forman grills, Customer Service Dept,we were told that replacement plates were not available. One would expect a product to last more than two months past the 12 month guarantee period without any course in which problems could be put right.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't live without this now, 7 Aug 2010
For anyone that doesn't yet know the joys of a George Foreman lean mean grilling machine it is a work top portable grill that cooks the food from both the top and bottom, while set on a slight slant to let all the unhealthy fat drain away.

As with many of the other models of the George Foreman I think it looks rather stylish with the stainless steel finish. Personally, I love having a George Foreman around and I use it for a whole range of cooking, from burgers to cheese toasties to many more...

This model has the added benefit of being able to remove the grill plates and clean them away from the machine. My previous George Foreman grill was a bit of a pain to clean, especially if you had been cooking something messy such as bacon. You had to try and dangle it over the sink and get it clean without dropping the whole George Foreman into the water. With this new one all I do is remove the top and bottom grill plates and clean them easily within the sink basin. I wouldn't say the older models aren't just as good; it's just that this is a handy and welcome change that they have made.

Another added feature of the 14525 George Foreman is a 'floating' hinge, which allows it to cater to any thickness of food to be cooked. I have used this on occasion, as you can lock it into place so the top grill isn't pressing down on whatever you have cooking, it just sits above it.
As a side note it does include a drip tray and spatula.

This is my second George Foreman grill, my last one lasted for four years of brilliant service before my husband had a slight accident taking it out of the cupboard and managed to drop it on the floor. From that second onwards I missed it and counted down until we could afford to get a new one. That moment came when I got mine last year as a very generous wedding gift and since then I have loved it. It is the type of thing that you only buy occasionally and I think the typical RPR of [...] is quite good value for money. I use our at least three of four times a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great!, 21 Aug 2010
Rachel Millington "Taniwha" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I decided to invest in a George after having a massive paddy when all the cheese spewed out of the sides of my toasted sandwich, which I'd made in a traditional toasted sandwich maker machine. Someone seriously needs to reinvent those things to allow people to put a decent amount of filling in them! So I went on a search online to find a better toasted sandwich maker and my searches and reading loads of reviews lead me to this George Foreman machine! So I thought I'd write a review in case there's anyone out there in the same position I was the other week. I'm very happy with my George machine and I'm having great fun making toasties and grilling meat & veggies now. I'd never had one of these machines before so I'm a complete ignoramus about what everyone is on about so I hope I can help anyone out there who is like me, looking at the machine but with no experience of them at all cause a lot of the reviews seem to assume people have used one of these machines before.
This machine will make great toasted sandwich makers. It obviously won't clamp the sides of the bread together like a traditional machine but don't worry, it won't spew all your filling out the side either. I worried that everything would just slide out the bottom with the angle on the bottom plate but it doesn't. The trick is to put your sandwich in there (I butter the outsides of the bread and so far have done things like cheese, onion, ham, tomato) and close the top lid down but don't lock it closed (cause that will cause all your filling to spew out the sides). I think it works better if you just leave it and don't open the lid too often, 4 to 5 minutes seems to be optimum for me. And then your sandwich will be great! I've also done panini from Sainsbury's and these work great! I did one last week with ham, cheese, onion, spinach and tomato and it was devine!
So far I'm overcooking steak in it cause the manual says 5-7 minutes and we did our first ones for 5 minutes and it was too long but hey, I need to experiment with it and get used to how quick it cooks and I'm sure then I'll be flying. I did chicken breasts with Levi Roots Reggae Reggae sauce on them last night and the manual said 5-7 minutes again, I did 5 and they probably would have been done in 4. Seriously fast!
So I'd recommend this model, it's great, looks good, I like the removable plates and I'm having fun trying out things in it. If you're tossing up whether you need one of these things, I'd say go for it. I don't think this will end up one of those kitchen appliances you chuck in the cupboard and never bother to get out cause it's so handy and it really makes cracking sandwiches!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, 20 Sep 2010
I do like cooking with this grill. Its time saving and easy to clean. Its trial and error to cook just right and to your individual taste.
I have done rump steak and was a bit disappointed with this - it seemed to drain all the tasty juices out and the meat although a nice tender texture, was a bit bland so I think I'll stick to my conventional grill for steak. Bacon and sausages however are perfect. I haven't cooked beefburgers for years, as under a normal grill the fat pours out, gets alight and stinks the house out, but on the George Foreman they are great!
I think "family" grill is stretching it a bit size-wise as I find it just big enough to cook portions for two of us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, efficient and easy to clean, 12 Mar 2009
J. Sweeney (UK) - See all my reviews
This is my second George Foreman grill. This time I have chosen a Grill and Melt model with removeable plates. It is quick and easy to use and the removeable plates, being dishwasher safe, make cleaning a doddle. I haven't used the "melt" function yet but if it is as good as the grill itself, it will not disappoint. I highly recommend this product to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, so quick!, 23 Jan 2009
Inci Iremilci "Pink Pearl" (London) - See all my reviews
After reading so many reviews, I chose this one, eventhough there was not any! To be honest I thought it would be bigger. Its not a problem for me. I think its an ideal size. If this is small, I cant imagine the junior grill model! It heats up quickly! It has a timer, which is a good thing! Dont forget to put your tray underneath. there was so much fat in it, which shows that it works.
In short, it s a good buy! I am happy with it! And the plates are removable, it is so easy to clean!

5.0 out of 5 stars best burgers ever, 31 Oct 2009
J. Kitchell (Newcastle upon Tyne. UK) - See all my reviews
We bought the grill and melt as a result of caring for two young asylum seekers who were not used to cold meals ever- even sandwiches were new to them! The grill does panini's perfectly and according to the kids the burgers and steaks are the best they've ever tasted! Its a doddle to clean too and the removable plates make it simple to put them in the dishwasher. It is lockable and that makes it easy to store as it can be stored flat or on its side.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's cracked up to be - but not far off., 28 Aug 2012
Let's start with the fundamentals - there is no way this product will cater for 4 people at a time, but adequately for 2 people.
It will just about take 3 rashers of bacon, 2 average size chops, 2 average size gammons (not all together of course !!) It heats up very quickly & retains its heat so until you get used to it you will need to keep an eye on cooking times otherwise you will end up with dry, overcooked food. Also I tend to coat whatever I'm cooking with oil/butter before placing on the grill because for me this concentrates the coating where you want it - on the food - & not all over the cooking plates where it's not needed.
It's amazing how much fat comes directly out of meat & burgers when otherwise you would be putting it on your waist line !!
Toasted sandwiches are a treat on this machine but again with the limited plate space - you'll just about get 2 sandwiches on if you trim off some of the crust. Cooking some vegetables, especially tomatoes can be quite messy so I tend to use it for meat, fish, & toasties which suits me - each to his own ! The cleaning of the plates needs a little more than just a wipe over with some kitchen roll - I tend to wash them by hand in a soapy solution, which brings them up a treat & removes all the burnt on residue which if not removed will need harsher cleaning at some later date with the attendant adverse effect on the non stick coating. Not rocket science is it ?
Overall this is a very good & handy piece of kitchen equipment which I'm pleased to have bought & use regularly.