4.0 out of 5 stars Just An Old-Fashioned Girl
Lenka ( nee Lenka Kripac ) is an old-fashioned girl at heart.
Charm aplenty and chasing the dream with her eponymously
titled solo debut. The Australian branch of the Kate Nash and
Adele School Of Quirky Talent is well served by her efforts.

The majority of the eleven ( mostly co-written ) tracks on the album
sound as though they could have...
Published on 9 Aug 2009 by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars sickly sweet and catchy
Published 6 months ago by astockwelluk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Just An Old-Fashioned Girl, 9 Aug 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
Lenka ( nee Lenka Kripac ) is an old-fashioned girl at heart.
Charm aplenty and chasing the dream with her eponymously
titled solo debut. The Australian branch of the Kate Nash and
Adele School Of Quirky Talent is well served by her efforts.

The majority of the eleven ( mostly co-written ) tracks on the album
sound as though they could have come into being at almost any point
during the past 30 years. 'Trouble Is A Friend' is a striking case
in point. The melody, arrangement and central vocal performance have a
timelessly naive quality. Almost but not quite banal by just a hair's breadth.

It is this quirky anachronistic ambience which sets Ms Kripac apart
from many of her peers. 'Like A Song' is another good example of
the subtle magic of which she is capable. A slow-waltz-time
composition whose stark arrangement conveys an
absorbing atmosphere of loneliness and doubt.
The interplay between voice and solo trumpet in the central section is haunting.

The many musical friends and helpers who have supported her vision
do so with un-flashy and economical skill.
Even the laddish Mr Day's vocal contribution on 'Dangerous and Sweet'
is mixed so far back that it assumes the form of a shadow in the wings.

Opening number 'The Show', a song which has brought her some small
degree of attention is, in fact, one of the project's weaker offerings.
The, admittedly, good-natured chorus is just a tad too twee to digest.
'Don't Let Me Fall' and 'Anything I'm Not', however', although not stylistically a
million miles away, somehow succeed by virtue of their warm-hearted delivery.

'Live Like You're Dying' is by far the strongest contender in the collection.
It's a big grown-up song, very well sung. A little darkness becomes her.
I'd happily hope for even a little more next time around.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel like a dreaming teenager, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
I first heard Lenka's song "The Show" on the radio on a trip to Malaysia and loved it. It was one of those moments where you simply have to capture a few words and do a google search for the lyrics. Coming up with her name I watched her music video on YouTube and feel in love not just with the song but with her as well.

Lenka is 30+ but sounds 10-15 years younger. Her songs belie a very innocent outlook on life and the simple rhymes and melodies give you a feeling that life is wonderful, mysterious and sometimes sad; much like a child's view.

Lenka's voice is lovely and has inklings of Diana Vickers in it. Being from Australia she also has some lovely pronunciations of words - refreshingly un-American!

"The Show" is very unique on the album - one of the most upbeat. At first I was disappointed that the other songs were not all in the same positive vein but after just a few listens I found the other songs growing on me and some of the other's are now my favourites.

With her simple lyrics and lovely voice, Lenka gets into your head and makes you a happier person.

5.0 out of 5 stars lenka, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
brilliant album . kind of a mix between lilly allen and diana vickers . played on a car journey non stop , from somerset to manchester and didnt feel the need to change it for another one to listen to . will suit all ages as well .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Album to listen to!, 7 April 2014
MsOtakon. (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
I'm so glad I came across this artist who in my opinion was quite unique in a sense that the music is not exactly the kind of "Pop" you'd usually get. Most of the tunes are quite catchy, childlike and upbeat, enough to make you feeling warm on the inside, it's a great album to listen to no matter the weather, even though it's quite short which is slightly disappointing but it still has its ways to make your day.
All lyrics are beautifully and cleverly written yet so simple and to the point that it's so easy to relate to (almost as if she read my diary!). I can only imagine the amount of pure talent Lenka has since she is able to pull off condensing human emotions and various realistic life situations in short songs! I can never get enough of this artist and have already decided to purchase her other albums!

5.0 out of 5 stars mood lifting, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
Lenka always puts me in a good mood when I put her on and my little girl always asks for her...especially "Trouble is a Friend".

3.0 out of 5 stars sickly sweet and catchy, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
I've been buying a few artists recently that I'd not heard of before to try and unearth a gem. Lenka I found a lot more poppy than is my taste. Every song with one possible exception bounces and jingles along. The artist started life as a children's TV presenter and this album caters to the same tastes. They are all very nice but it doesn't really strike a chord or stir any emotion. Most annoyingly I've found myself humming the infuriating tunes all day! If you are looking for a female singer with a bit more to her I'd recommend A Fine Frenzy, Regina Spektor or Feist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
This is a repeat of an earlier review on my review of the album Two. Again, songs can tend to be a bit 'samey' on first listen. She does come up with some catchy tunes, thoughtful lyrics and has a super voice. I'm not sure what her target market is but I'm not far from getting my bus pass and grew up with Peter Green as my guitar hero, so she must have some touch of magic to have a place in my cd collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't want your money back; just enjoy The Show, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Lenka (MP3 Download)
Awesome.
Bought this solely on the basis of The Show, which i'd heard in an advert being played in the forecourt of a cinema in New York at christmas. Every time I missed being able to use Shazam so didn't know who it was. Googling part of the lyrics later didn't come up with anything. Eventually a couple of months ago, a colleague was playing it over internet radio and I finally tracked it down.

Light, bubbly, fun and airy..

Bring Me Down and Anything I'm Not are good tracks also.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd heard some of her songs..., 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
I'd heard one of her songs years ago and not been able to work out who it was. Once I realised it the other week, I quickly ordered the CD and am very pleased with the purchase. Great, fun and catchy music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenka, 21 May 2013
This review is from: Lenka (Audio CD)
A lovely album, I was surprised, and surprised positively. I do enjoy this album, and Lenka just gained new fan :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lenka
Lenka by Lenka (Audio CD - 2009)