on 6 January 2012
I needed an extra NIC for my HP ProLiant MicroServer, which meant finding a low-profile PCI Express card with a half-height backplate. This adapter came with a full height backplate fitted but the package also contained a half-height one that can be used as a replacement - a very quick process involving two small bolts.

I'm running Fedora 16 on the server and it runs perfectly using the e1000e driver, both connected to a VDSL modem in 100 Mbps Full Duplex mode, and also connected to an HP Procurve switch in gigabit mode.

I'm delighted with this good value card.
on 7 July 2014
I've been getting sporadic internet disconnections for ages (years on and off). It only happened now and then so I just put up with it. Not being techy at all I didn't know where to start looking for the cause either. A recent lightning strike killed my router and when the new one was installed I got more disconnections than ever. Some days I couldn't get connected at all. I blamed the new router but the ISP insisted that it was fine and my network adapter was to blame. Eventually I gave in and reluctantly sent off for one of these, just in case they were right.

Fitted it to a spare PCI slot (which was easy even for untechy me, after watching a vid on YouTube) and I haven't had a moment's trouble since. I wish I'd bought one of these years ago. The driver installed automatically, it really was a case of fit and forget. Lovely stuff!!

(My old one was a Broadcom 1gb Ethernet Network Adapter in a Dell Inspiron desktop, in case that's relevant to anyone.)

RECOMMEND!!
on 8 September 2012
I bought this Intel NIC because it's one of the few NICs on VMWare's HCL (hardware compatibility list) that's officially supported.

It works perfectly in both ESXi and in Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. I've got two of these, one in the ESXi box, and another in a Server 2008 R2 running iSCSI software target. When transferring data over the network directly between these two cards, it's almost always at 100% usage - around between 110 and 117 megabytes per second.
on 24 January 2015
My onboard ethernet connection on my Windows 8.1 PC died due to a power surge, I think. January lightning...

So the cheap and easy way to solve this seemed to be a CSL PCIe (PCI-E / PCI Express) Gigabit network card from Amazon, which I ordered for about £5.

I have spent a week messing about with a connection lasting max. 90 mins, verifying Windows power management etc. to the Network Adaptor, trying different drivers, and seemingly exhaustive internet searches, and have got nowhere. If I unplugged my ethernet inside the 90 minute window, it would disappear, too, until a complete Shut Down and restart (not just a restart).

Bought one of these, also from Amazon. Now I can unplug my ethernet connection, configure a router as an access point (fallout from the power surge), plug my ethernet back in to my network, and it WORKS!

If I have any problems, I have the Intel dashboard to go to for help. So fingers crossed!

It's not cheap, but Intel do seem to give value for money in the quality of this product.
on 21 June 2011
Card arrived in good time and in perfect condition.
It came with a spare half-height backplate which was needed.
Works perfectly in HP MicroServer.
on 1 December 2012
To all Linux users out there!

This Intel card works *out of the box, forget the rest.
*At least it does with Ubuntu 12.04 which has the necessary e1000e driver built-in.

My motherboard's Atheros AR8131 onboard NIC has a bug in Ubuntu 12.04, so I bought 2 of these Intel Gigabit CT adapters instead.

I cannot recommend these Intel cards more highly. The reason I needed 2 network cards was to set up an LTSP server (Linux Terminal Server Project).
on 24 April 2012
This works exactly as required. I popped it into my Linux (Debian) server and it was recognized straight away. No configuring or anything. It has performed flawlessly in the last 6 weeks. This is relatively expensive, but worth it for reliability and network speeds (I get around 92 MB/s PC to PC when routed through my TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Switch in 1U Rack-Mountable Steel Case using iSCSI storage)
on 24 June 2015
I bought this to replace a failed NIC on a motherboard. I've been an enthusiastic proponent of Intel NICs for over a decade - they do usually manage to deliver better throughput with lower CPU utilisation than the other usual suspects (Marvell, Broadcom, Realtek), especially on busy networks when performing large sustained transfers.

It's also worth adding that Intel NIC support is commonplace in nearly every OS, with mature drivers, very much unlike the bleeding-edge driver problems one sometimes encounters with other NIC manufacturers' chipsets.
on 27 January 2013
This is a very high quality, fast, gigabit ethernet card. It's very good value for money, has a lifetime warranty and is backed by the best support in the business.

But! Almist every computer made these days already has a Gigabit Ethernet adapter built into the motherboard, why would you need one of these?

Well, first of all, not everyone needs one of these, for a great many people the built in network adapter will be sufficient. There are however some tasks that will really benefit:

Gaming
Video Streaming
Large Data Transfer

If you perform the tasks above a lot, then you can benefit from a dedicated network adapter.

For gamers, you can experience lower latency and better pings, also the card here has it's own processor which will reduce the CPU load of you computer for better frame rates.
For video streaming, the Intel card provides highly optimised packet prioritisation which can help keep your video streams fast and jitter free.*
Large data transfers, particularly if your home sever also has a high quality network adapter are *lightning* fast with these cards, For me, this is the biggest improvement I saw over the built in adapter (about 60% faster throughput over the onboard Realtek).

In summary then, not everyone needs these cards, but they offer some nice gains over onboard adapters for very little outlay. While it won't change your world, it can be the cherry on top of an already powerful computer.

*Note: good packet prioritisation benefits all kinds of data transfer tasks from downloading a webpage to sending email.
on 27 June 2016
Something near my house got hit by lightening and the resulting surge came in through the internet wiring. Among the casualties were my Virgin router, my Belkin switch and the ethernet port on my Maximus Hero VII motherboard. I bought this to replace this now dead ethernet port in my PC and it worked straight out of the box (Windows 10). Performance wise I can't tell the difference between this card and the ethernet port I had on my motherboard, so I guess that means it's doing its job well!