5.0 out of 5 stars T-Flight Hotas hell
This is an excellent stick on a budget! Very responsive and no annoying dead-zone problems I've had with more expensive sticks.
Published on 7 May 2012 by Sodacan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for Money
I found the ThrustMaster Joystick to be a good value purchase for my introduction to Flight SIMs. I purchased MS Flight Simulator X Gold Edition as well and embarked on some fun hours getting it all up and running. I had previously only had a few goes on a friends system using the apparently well respected Saitek X-52 Pro flight joystick and proper pedals. So as a quick...
Published on 20 Nov. 2012 by Blind Vinnie

5.0 out of 5 stars T-Flight Hotas hell, 7 May 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick (PC/PS3) (Electronics)
This stick actually passed my expectations as a casual sim-flyer. Nice solid bases and a very comfortable grip has meant I've been able to play for hours in comfort. The split setup also allows for better posture where I used to hunch over with my previous flight stick having the throttle control on the joystick base. No more aches between the shoulder blades. The T-Flight Hotas X is worth having, over the throttle on stick alternatives, for this reason alone. The Hotas setup (with 10 buttons on the sticks and 2 on the base) also means that most common actions can be performed without removing your hands from the controls. I also like the flexibility of the rudder control. This stick gives the option of twisting the main stick or a rudder rocker on the throttle stick - both analogue.

The stick was plug and play fine in Windows7 and I was flying within 5 minutes without any setup woes. The stick doesn't come with any button assignment software but this has not been a problem where most controls are mapped in games such as Microsoft Flight and Flight Simulator X. For other games I have used Xpadder free version (a joystick/gamepad button mapping application) which has also added better functionality for the stick in games such as Star Trek Online or for the brilliant online free GE Flight simulator.

Is this stick nice to use? - You bet. Just jump straight in fun and no setup woes.
After buying this would I recommend it? I most certainly would.
Would I buy a more expensive stick in future? No. There's no need. This stick does the job admirably.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, low cost., 1 Feb. 2014
I brought this for Elite Dangerous and is performing perfectly. Installation easy and setup a breeze.
It feels very solid and you forget it's there after a few hours of play.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guillemot / Hercules Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick, 7 May 2010
Possibly the worst thing about this joystick is the name! Surely they could have come up with something a little snappier?

Still, thats the worst thing I have to say about this stick.

I bought it a few weeks ago as a replacement for my Saitek X-52, which I'd had for a couple of years, but was developing faults in some of the switches. Also, the drivers played havoc with other parts of my computer, most notably the mouse.

Considering I paid under £30 for this (although it was advertised under a slightly different description for over £40) I really can't fault it. Incredibly simple to use - just plug it in, let Windows find it and install the drivers and away you go (unlike the Saitek!) Configuring the buttons to use with games such as Lock On and MechWarrior is a breeze. The only thing you have to be careful with is in making sure the "mode" selector is on the right setting. This stick can be used with a PC or Playstation 3, but trying to use it in the wrong mode can cause a good deal of frustration!

The only real faults with this stick / throttle combo, after being used to the Saitek's weightier and better designed controls, is that both the joystick and throttle feel very light...although you do get used to this with time. Also the throttle doesn't sit very well in your left hand and some of the buttons can be awkward to reach. This is where its lightness pays off, as you don't need to grip it very hard. Just move it with the palm of your hand, making it easier for your fingers to find the buttons. I probably found it easy to adapt to this stick as I owned a Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner some years ago which is almost identical to this. I would also recommend using it with the stick and throttle separated, as I found using them connected became uncomfortable after a while.

There are enough buttons to cover all the main functions you'll need with most games, including a very nice rocker switch on the throttle, which will really appeal to mech jockeys (torso twist!).

Pros: Price, ease of use, decent number of features, is both PC and PS3 compatible.

Cons: Controls feel light and not as ergonomic as more expensive sticks. Not as many features as higher priced sticks / flight controllers.

That said, I am very happy with this stick as it offers nearly all the features of my defunct Saitek stick, without the hassle of installing drivers and programming software, for a fraction of the price. You really can't go wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid, quality item. Excellent value, 30 Dec. 2009
I use this with MS FSX on PC and been delighted with it so far. Large, heavy, solid item that fits your hands well. The picture doesn't really do it justice, and in reality it is a much more impressive item. There are 12 buttons in total on both the joystick and throttle control for other aircraft functions. The throttle control and joystick can also be separated, although I haven't felt the need to. Joystick twists for rudder control and has an equivalent rocker switch on the throttle too for the same or joystick switch-able separate function. I've also used the Saitech X52 throttle/stick combo and as far as I am concerned this stick is just as good in practice, if not better, and at a quarter of the price much better value. No drivers required, just plug in the USB and the stick appears in your game controllers control panel.

The only issue I have had with it is that if left plugged in, under XP on my Toshiba laptop, when the laptop is switched on, the stick is not recognised and the stick has to be unplugged from the USB and then plugged back in again. Other than that, it has worked flawlessly in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars ) My trusty MS Sidewinder Precision 2 was and is a great stick but I wanted some HOTAS action but didn't ..., 27 Nov. 2014
Bought this primarily for playing Elite Dangerous (surprise surprise!) My trusty MS Sidewinder Precision 2 was and is a great stick but I wanted some HOTAS action but didn't want to break the bank in doing so.

After a bit review hunting of 12 year olds waffling inanely on youtube I decided I'd go for it, even if it was garbage I'd salvage the throttle and integrate the sticks buttons and functions into it somehow, for the price comparatively I had little to lose I thought.

Anyway the meat of the review, great stick, is it as good as a squillion £ CH, Saitek or it's bigger Trustmaster cousins, no definitely not, but for the price it's superb and I can't fault it,, well,, except there isn't a hat switch on the throttle but I guess fitting one would have potentially undermined the sales of it's bigger cousins.

Stick side of things I have no complaints, the throttle however I wish the concave bevel in the top was flatter as it's a tad uncomfortable for my quite large hands but again this is nit picking an otherwise well built and well functioned flight HOTAS setup.

Some people have complained about the deadzone/sticking point mid throttle range, personally this suits me down the ground as in Elite Dangerous that deadzone is the difference between launching my Cobra into a wall accidentally during take off and not.

Instead of doing the usual 5 or 1 star review, I'm being balanced and honest, it's not perfect however it's very very good but the lack of hat switch on throttle loses it 1 star in my honest opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, 25 Nov. 2014
Douglas (WORTHING, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The world of joysticks and flight controls is a complicated one where all devices are not born equal. You can spend tens of pounds or thousands of pounds depending on your desired function and your obsession with the game that you intend to use it for. When I was younger I was an avid gamer and have spent a lot of money over the years on kit. Now I'm a little more 'mature' and have children I rarely have the time to game for hours on end. However, I need my kit to perform and I do not tolerate cheap rubbish.

When I decided to buy a HOTAS setup it was because I joined the beta for Elite Dangerous, a game who's development I'd followed keenly and was close to my heart given my gaming past. Given the time I had to spend playing I didn't want to spend hundreds on a joystick, however I wanted solid functionality. This is where the T-flight steps in.

It is solidly built with a finish that is surprisingly good for the money that it cost. The joystick and throttle parts can be used separately or joined using the (included) allen-key. Installation was easy, with Windows 7 detecting it and installing it without a hitch.

It has a good number of buttons, although I feel that it could always do with a few more, especially for games where a million key bindings are the norm. If I had a single criticism it would be that the accuracy (or sensitivity) in the central area of the joystick is a tiny bit lacking. It's a small point, and one that didn't warrant a review star being lost given the excellent price position that this unit sits within.

For the money, I can't see a better option. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome stick, very high quality, 24 April 2014
Steven (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a joystick to use with Elite Dangerous, couldn't really afford £150+ for some of the high end sticks, so on the basis of the reviews plumped for the Thrustmaster, and wow, I am super impressed, agree with a previous review that the pictures don't do it justice, they make it look a bit cheap looking, when you see it and hold it, it's just awesome, for the money it's way better than I expected. I love the the throttle comes apart from the main stick, having each at the sides of the screen with my keyboard in the middle is great.

I love how well built and natural the controls feel after you've played for a few hours, really happy, and would highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying for Elite Dangerous fans, 10 Jan. 2015
M. Gudgin "Wookiee with a chocolate addiction" (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
LIke a lot of people I bought this exclusively for and because of Elite Dangerous, and despite a few teething problems it is so far pretty worth it (in fairness, I bought this when it was £35, not £55 as it is at time of this review). Setup is exceptionally quick under Windows 8.1 (plug it into a USB 2.0 port, Windows installs the drivers automatically... a few seconds to a minute later and you're good to go) but fine tuning to get the best experience can take a bit longer.

There are a few minor issues. Some people, myself included, have found the throttle initially works in reverse - just invert the binding for that. Some people, myself again included, have found one or more axes to be insensitive and/or sluggish - in this case it is well worth calibrating the device by going to Control Panel, Devices & Printers, right click on T-Flight HOTAS and select Game Settings. In the window that opens select Properties > Settings > Calibrate and run through the instructions. You should then find the stick responds more effectively and precisely in game.

Another slight issue I've had is the units shifting on the surface - during times of vigorous use such as combat (and a few particularly hairy dockings) I've found the stick unit can shift a little, but this will likely depend on surface and during combat in particular I keep the throttle at a single setting so I can free my left hand to steady the stick unit. I've also found the throttle is a slightly odd, clunky shape but I adapted to it very quickly.

Overall I'm very happy with it. In ED I used the various combat training scenarios to test and fine tune the stick and throttle and get used to it, and after maybe two hours I'm comfortable and happy with it - and I've already noted a significant improvement in my combat ability compared to pure keyboard use, particularly my use of yaw (the stick twists to yaw quite easily and comfortably, and the throttle has a rocker switch that is equally easy to use) and how frequently I hit the target.

This is a well made, well designed and user friendly way of enhancing your game experience. Given the option I would prefer more buttons and a slightly more ergonomic throttle but all things considered it is a good device for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great priced stick for Elite: Dangerous and other games, 23 Dec. 2014
Mr. Christopher Stevens "Woody Stevens" (Somerset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Strongest points:

Great quality product for the price (approx £22 at the time via ebay, thought due to launch of Elite: Dangerous, and thus lower stock, prices have quickly risen).

Works out of the box with Elite: Dangerous and various other games.

All keys can be remapped in-game or with other software easily.

Throttle stick has 4 buttons on the front and 2 on the back, also comes with paddle controls.

Joystick has 1 trigger, directional hat, button on the nose of the stick, 2 buttons next to the hat.

Base has a "home" button, two more buttons below which can be remapped, and some built in mapping keys.

Been using for over a week no problems or weakening in the resistance.

Has a resistance wheel on the underside of the joystick, nice feature.

USB cord has good length.

Can be used with PS3. ( make sure when using on the device of your choice to flick the switch on the back of the device before plugging in, to ensure correct drivers are recognized. )

Weakest points:

Separates into two parts, however the strange rounded edges and short joining cable between the two sections make it difficult to for me to fit around my laptop.

Trottle stick feels flimsy, would be nice to have resistance like the Joystick.

Cheaper plastic will likely get greasy quicker than other more expensive materials.

Could do with another directional hat and some more buttons on the joystick.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it! really ads a whole new level to ..., 5 Dec. 2014
Bought this for Elite dangerous and Star Citizen (PC) , I love it! really ads a whole new level to game play and makes it really immersive.

Super easy to set up just plug and play (Although I found downloading the drivers from the Thrustmaster site removed some of the dead zone, not much just noticable)

tones of buttons more than I need really but it's nice to have extra, the build quality is good although plastic but it functions brilliantly. Decent cable length between thruster and joystick and the USB cable length is also very decent.

Highly recommend for anyone wanting to shift to a new control method without spending a fortune, warning: you WILL require practice, stick with it as it's totally worth it!

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick (PC/PS3)
Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Joystick (PC/PS3) by Thrustmaster (PlayStation 3, Windows)