on 16 January 2010
These extension rings are very well made and sturdy, all metal construction. Used with a D90 and a 50 1.8D lens there were no problems. You do need to unlock the aperture ring on the lens (which is locked at 22 for automatic use) and use the camera in manual - but I knew that.

To the reviewer who said he got good photographs but shallow DOF - welcome to macro photography, use a tripod and stop your lens down if you want more DOF.

BUYERS TAKE NOTE.

Having read those reviews which reported difficulty fitting and removing this product, I can see how this might happen. The screw threads do bind very tightly, and even separating the rings (off camera) can be difficult. So before using on camera I put a miniscule amount of 3:1 oil on each of the screw threads and twisted each together and apart several times. This was enough to prevent the binding that seems to have occurred for some.

The unlock knob mechanism is obvious if you look at it before putting it on your camera.

Took off a star for these points - but they're fine really - used with care. Excellent value.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 July 2009
I had been thinking of making my own extension rings after doing some tests with a lens hand-held in front of my camera... Then I saw these tubes... £5.99! It wasn't worth me even trying to make my own!

The tubes are actually made of metal, which came as a bit of a shock. I had expected plastic for this price. No instructions, but it's not exactly rocket science.

Please note, no connections or controls are linked through from the camera. This means you must use the camera on manual, manually focus and manually set the aperture on the lens.
If you have a G lens you are going to be stuck at the smallest aperture and not be able to change it as a G lens has no aperture ring. You could still use it, but you will need a well lit scene to see what you are doing, and a tripod for the longer exposure.

If you have an older lens (I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D) the tubes work brilliantly.

I'm a little amazed by those saying that they got the lens stuck etc, there is one "control" on the tubes, the lens release. It's a knurled knob. Honestly, how long does it take to try push, pull, push left, right, up, down? (You push it down towards the camera body). If it's tight, give the lens a little wiggle. I have experienced no problems.

Cons: Not really much not to like. It would be nice of the lens mounting alignment dots were on the side, not on the mounting plate faces, then you would be able to see them as you line thing up, but I think I can live with that... If not, I'm quite capable of putting my own little paint dot on the side!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 October 2012
If you use a Nikon DSLR the Nikon tubes costing zillions of pounds apiece won't give much functionality with a G series lens. Neither will these but if you don't already have one the money you save compared with the Nikon tubes can be spent on an older Nikon lens (something in the 35-135 mm range) with an aperture ring, providing you with the key to macro heaven and throwing in a lesson in how to use your DSLR in full manual mode.
When you get yours, be patient. It pays to play with these before you fit them to your camera. When everything is unscrewed you should have five pieces, being the bayonet that fits in the camera mount, three tubes numbered 1, 2 and 3, and the front piece which replicates the camera mount so that you can attach your lens. These can be screwed back together in a variety of combinations to provide a skip load of extension options.
When you try to attach the tubes to your camera, align the red dot on the bayonet with the white dot on the camera body - as if fitting a normal lens - and twist it into place, then fit whatever combination of tubes 1, 2 and 3 that you desire to use - along with the front lens mount. Then attach the lens which should click into place as usual.
Because of all the threaded bits its unlikely that everything will line up like you're used to but the aperture and focus control should be accessible.
Select manual mode on the camera. Your top screen will display a shutter speed and a couple of dashes where the aperture reading normally resides. You're about to encounter stop-down metering. Start with the aperture at its wide open setting so that the maximum amount of light gets into the camera. This will allow you to focus on the subject. Focussing is done by setting the lens focus to infinity and moving the camera towards the subject (live view is a pretty useful tool here). A tripod is also a really useful piece of kit for this as once you've got your image composed and in focus everything can be clamped up. You can then choose the aperture for your exposure and set it on the lens at your leisure, then adjust the shutter speed using the onboard metering on the camera. Then you can make your exposure, preferably using a remote release and mirror-up setting if available.
When you come to take the lens off the tubes, remember that the mushroom-like locating pin slides back towards the camera body to release the lens! And remember that photography should be fun:)
on 4 December 2010
At the price, it's fine. But I didn't realise until after my purchase that the following is true, which I found out on a camera discussion forum, having asked why on my Nikon D40 when the tubes were fitted I couldn't take any photos and got a message saying "Lens Not Attached" :

"I don't think this lens/tube configuration is going to work. The lens is a G-type - no aperture ring - and the camera doesn't know there's a lens attached, so you have no way of adjusting aperture. You need either a set of tubes with the contacts and aperture lever, or a lens with an aperture ring. You might be able to pick up a cheap AI prime lens to use in this combination. I think that Kenko extension tubes have all the right connectors."

In short, if you have the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens which comes with the camera when purchased new from Dixons etc, these tubes will not work. This lens is pared-down in its features to keep the camera price down.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 November 2009
If you are familiar with close-up photography then you'll be familiar with extension tubes and you'll know how simple they are. No instructions are needed. However, I found three problems with these tubes:

1 - I couldn't get them to lock onto the camera. Not wishing to force it and risk damaging the camara, I unscrewed the tube ends (with the male and female bayonet fittings) and coupled them together. They went with a bit of effort, after which they locked easily to the camera, so problem solved.

2 - the button used to unlock them again isn't intuitive. As others have found, pressing it down doesn't unlock the tubes and they can't be removed from the camera. The way the button works is that you push it horizontally (along the lens axis), not down (radially). Try it before you attach them - it's easy, and obvious when you know how!

3 - there is no coupling to the lens iris lever, so your lens will be stopped-down fully when you use the tubes. This is not necessarily what you want when light is low, as it tends to be for close-ups. The solution to this is a strategically placed blob of blu-tac to hold the lever in the fully open (or other) position.

So, my problems were easily solved. At this price you'd have to be a nut not to buy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 July 2011
Beware, the metal that this is made from is soft as butter. The threads on one section failed with the weight of an F2.8 lens on it, just peeled away! Time will tell if the lens is repairable, but its taught me a lesson - this may be cheap, but it looks to have cost me a £600 lens...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
No problems at all with the assembly or fitting of these tubes. I tried them out today on my Nikon D3200 with a Nikkor 50mm x 1.8D lens fitted. I used all three rings and mounted the lot on a tripod using a macro focusing rail, to photograph a tiny garden spider (about 5mm dia) I need a bit of practice but I think the tubes will be a useful addition to my photographic kit. I'll post the spider photo on this page.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It is too easy to be critical of this product. The individual tubes do NOT have Nikon mounts to connect them. Accept that and it is an otherwise excellent product for very little outlay. Compare it with say the Kenko extension tubes costing ten times more also for sale on Amazon is like comparing chalk with cheese.. No, they work just fine and many will find that they will do exactly what they want them to do - extend the lens to camera mount.
My own requirement was slightly different, I had the need to move the D3 camera body away from the 'old' Nikon PB-4 bellows to prevent the body fouling on the rail assembly. I used the first and last rings together (providing around 1.5cm extension) to achieve this stand-off. Problem being the the two tubes screw together - the resultant axis displacement meant that the body was cockeyed (off centre) to the line of the bellows rails. This is significant in the case of the PB-4 bellows since they have swing and tilt - my reason for buying the tubes. My solution was to assemble these two rings with Loctite® on the threads suitably lined up correctly. These were left for 24 hours to harden. Job don!
Not everyone wants to fiddle, for them there is always the more expensive option. For me, I am happy with these 'glued' together..
on 17 June 2012
This product is very well made, considering the price. It didn't come with instructions, but then again it doesn't really require any. Screw on to your camera, screw on the required length of tube, then screw on the lens. To separate the lens from the tubes, simply push the screw head back towards the camera - you will hear a click, you will then be able to unscrew your lens.

As there are no connections through the tube, aperture and focus has to be set manually. Focus can be achieved with either zooming the lens, or turning the focus ring. Aperture on the other hand (as far as I know) has to be set manually on the lens. I achieved this by manually holding the aperture arm in place at fully open. this can be found on the back of your lens.

Using extension tubes will reduce the amount of light coming into the camera, so it's best to use a tripod, a long exposure, and adequate lighting. Having the aperture set to fully open is good, but your depth of field is reduced. This is all to be expected however.

Overall a very good product, does what it says on the tin!
on 1 February 2012
MACRO EXTENSION TUBES FULL Set Adaptor fits NIKON DSLR SLR 40X D40 D50 D60 D70 D70s D80 D90 D100 D200 D300 D700,D3000 D3100 D5000 D5100 D7000, D1,D2,D3 DSLR.

These macro extension tubes are amazing in terms of value and what they offer to your photography.

They are metal tubes and very easy to mount the lens and remove... has only one lever to slide back and remove the lens. I've connected it to my Nikkor 50mm F1.8 (with manual aperture control). There are no electrical connections from the macro tubes to the lens so it will not change the aperture on your lens unless your lens has a manual ring to change the aperture. All other lenses will default to its smallest f-number. The electrical connectors extension tubes runs in the hundreds of pounds! So for 6 bucks this great value!

I've uploaded some pics of a two pence piece. Total setup up time under 5 minutes and managed to get some amazing pics.
review image review image